From Don Burgett - 101st Airborne - September 17 1944

Jack

Today 62 years ago,

The weather in England and Holland was much as it is today in and around Howell, Michigan, my home town; sunny, bright coolish in the AM, heading for the high seventies or so at high temperature for the day.

As with our Normandy pre-jump meal in Upottery we had fried chicken with all the trimmings and all we could eat, or wanted (including ice cream.) It seems this jump was arranged one day and we were on our way the next, so I don't recall the English field we left from. We made ready after noon meal, walked to our assigned planes by chalk number, got our weapons on, chuted up, loaded up, and headed for Holland.

On a long angle reach over the English Channel we had a timely view of the english Channel gleaming bright white in the sunlight to our port side and headed inland. From there we caught heavy triple A and small arms fire all the way in. My stick dropped in at Zon (Son) to take the bridge. A Company fighting through the Zoenche Forest lost approximately one third of our men to direct 88 fire into us which left only three officers to command what was left of A Co.

First Lt Rutan, not to be confused with 2nd Lt. retan, KIA at that time. First Lt. Rutan was later severely wounded in Opheusden and never returned. then 2nd Lt. Muir, and 2nd Lt. Borrelli. First Lt. Rutan, senior officer in grade took command even though he was the newest officer in our company and first time in combat. Rank rules.

The decimation of A Company in our attempt to take the bridge at Zon was the reason A Co., 506 was appointed rear guard going into Eindhoven; following the balance of the 1st Bn. Third Bn. lead the way in the liberation of Eindhoven and did most of the dirty work against the enemy and their 88's in and around that city. Second Bn. with its legendary company was second after the 3rd Bn., A Co. was last. We still got to sign many autographs for the civilians.

Thus began our 72 days of constant combat from Eindhoven, Zon, Koevering (with over 300 Brits killed in ambush there) Veghel, Grave, Nijmejin, Slicky Wicky, Opheusden, (The Island) Driel, to the foot of the Bridge at Arnhem. All in water soaked ground with an almost constant rain. most men carried their wallets on their heads under their helmets. There was less than eleven men left in 2nd Pltn A Co., not quite one squad, and I believe around 38 men total left in A Co. 506 when we were relieved from Holland.

Three weeks out of Holland we were shipped hastily and ill armed into Bastogne in open cattle trucks in mid-winter for another tour of Europe.

Many of our men helped in paying a dear price for the liberation of Europe and the world. I know those people appreciate the price that was paid. I have had them tell me so in my trips abroad; on the streets, the Shores of Normandy, restuarants, in the American cemeteries and wherever we happened meet.

God rest the souls of my comrades.

September 17 1944,

Donald R. Burgett, Sgt. WWII

Don made these two posts over on Trigger Time the website of 101st Airborne historian Mark Bando.

I ask Don if I could have his permission to post it up here -

"Dear Jack, I would be honored to have you pass along my heartfelt feelings.

Thank you for thinking of us over here.

Donald R. Burgett"

Thanks to Don and Mark Bando.