Leyland Daf MMLC DROPS + Flatracks

We are "toying" with the idea of one, we have been looking to see what use we have for that system.

I know someone has the improved version and I know someone else was converting an MMLC to a wrecker, but are there any MMLC out there at the minute?

Anyone know what a complete running to tidy one is worth on the UK market and what do the flatracks go for.

Any comments about these vehicles is welcome.

Robin

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We are "toying" with the idea of one, we have been looking to see what use we have for that system.

I know someone has the improved version and I know someone else was converting an MMLC to a wrecker, but are there any MMLC out there at the minute?

Anyone know what a complete running to tidy one is worth on the UK market and what do the flatracks go for.

Any comments about these vehicles is welcome.

Robin

will let you know when I collect mine...

Gents

Sadly admin has told me we are not buying one or any of these three which are in Albeta, Canada.

$15,000 each of $35,000 for the trio.

Road ready, paint untidy.

His details by pm from me or go to www.kijiji.ca and search DAF in Alberta.

Gosh darn it we could have used one of these.

(I have the full consent of the owner and his permission to use these pictures)

R

aaaa daf 5.jpg

aaaa daf 3.jpg

aaaa daf 4.jpg

aaaa daf 8.jpg

aaaa daf 1.jpg

aaaa daf 6.jpg

aaaa daf 2.jpg

aaaa daf 7.jpg

The one on the far right doesn't look road ready appears to be missing both headlights on the drivers side. i assume these are ex med-man fleet, in all honesty i would do a thorough check over them before buying as "field fixes" will of been applied to keep them battle ready apposed to road worthy.

from what i can see the prices are what you could pick one up over here for mine was slightly cheaper but damaged but included all bits to repair plus large winch lot of truck for dollars and saving shipping and haulage across many miles

Edited by cosrec

yes they seem a good price, mine is more but its already running and registered. So I am happy with that...

where do you fit the winch...is there a standard fitting for it....is it a powerful beastie..

These trucks were never fitted with winches, but as you have hydraulics already fitted you could fit any hydraulic winch you wanted. You could even build it into the rack as long as you remember to uncouple the hoses before you ofload the rack. Currently have 6 ex- military hydraulic winches in stock should you want one.

John.

Optimus Prime :rotfl: I was once quoted £750 each for the flatracks, I think Jackson's had some. They'd be great for transporting small MVs around...

Jacksons definitely have some of the Ekalifts too which are a very cool bit of kit! [edit: they do have flatracks. Link]

Stone

Edited by Stone

• 2 weeks later...
Below is your scammell drops at Dorset with Scammell Pioneer as ballast heading the Pickfords trailerin the playpen:nut: and second shot shows them at Kettering rally.

she is a good girl, she wont be going to anyone else for a long time and she will be lovingly fixed by professionals and then broken by me, but she will be used.

• 2 weeks later...

just noticed it has its tow hitch pin in thee pictures. It doesnt have it now I am the owner, will have a go at David see if he can get me one...have bought myself a load of bulbs so far replaced two,,,and am having metal plates fitted to the bed to make it easier to load vehicles...

How heavy is a scammel explorer...

just noticed it has its tow hitch pin in thee pictures. It doesnt have it now i am the owner, will have a go at david see if he can get me one...have bought myself a load of bulbs so far replaced two,,,and am having metal plates fitted to the bed to make it easier to load vehicles...

How heavy is a scammel explorer...

14 tonnes

• 2 weeks later...

thanks John, Am collecting one from Dave Crouch plus a couple of flat beds for my zils and ural, hopefully first week of January when I collect my Stalwart...all depends upon whether my foden 8 x 4 is ready......am having a lot of fun with the drops, it is a fully sorted machine although diff lock on the rear axles seems a bit iffy...will look into that in the warmer weather...

• 8 months later...
Below is your scammell drops at Dorset with Scammell Pioneer as ballast heading the Pickfords trailerin the playpen:nut: and second shot shows them at Kettering rally.

Number plate looks familiar. I have just picked this one up from David Crouches its going to a mate in Germany after we have done a few mods to it;). It drove back from Davids to ours 200k away as sweet as anything, but got a battery warning light(belt thrown off and snapped) seems to have got the air in the diesel syndrome that a few others have posted about:embarrassed:. I will make a start on it in the morning and find the cause of the air leak.

pictures from galaxy s 11 152.jpg

I know that the majority of folk know what they are doing when they buy a big toy like this but as an ex and highly experienced DROPS man could I just say that if anyone is thinking of using one to transport anything high and heavy they really need to take care (there are lots and lots of ways to kill yourself and others with a DROPS truck).

If anyone needs advice, please pm me.

• 4 weeks later...

That sounds intresting, When you say heavy and high ,, could you expand ,, what have you seen and was it down to a squaddi or to the truck or both? , 15 TON PAYLOAD so fv432 is possible,, i know a chap who put a abbott on one that was prob not such a good idea for stability.. but all ended ok.

I have a foden and have never even thought of stability but i am thinking of geting a daf drops.

That sounds intresting, When you say heavy and high ,, could you expand ,, what have you seen and was it down to a squaddi or to the truck or both? , 15 TON PAYLOAD so fv432 is possible,, i know a chap who put a abbott on one that was prob not such a good idea for stability.. but all ended ok.

I have a foden and have never even thought of stability but i am thinking of geting a daf drops.

My bold, you say that like we are are all poor drivers, we all see plenty of serious RTAs caused by all types of drivers on our roads and I include civi's in that group.:laugh:

I certainly wouldn't put a 432 on a Daf Drops, in my opinion thats asking for trouble and can only be a matter of time before it ends in tears. Paulbrook talks sense.

It has a high centre of gravity due to the LHS and flatrack set up. The system was designed to carry ammunition, nothing else, (where the centre of gravity of the load is about 2' off the loadbed and the weight is spread evenly) although in service it did carry lots and lots of other stuff. But each load was trialled and a positioning and lashing scheme devised, and in some cases there were additional measures (such as only being able to load/unload on level paved surfaces). I know - I used to have to do it (much more boring than it sounds I can tell you..) and each scheme was put into a publication called JSP71.

If it wasn't in the JSP, it didnt get carried.

The real dangers are loading and unloading where the C of G of the load goes even higher, and as any tipper driver will tell you it can be very dicey when you have propelled a big weight skywards, especially (in the case of DROPS) one that is sort of dangling off a hook thing rather than being positively located.

Maybe I should set up a DROPS operator course - anyone interested?

Forgot to reply to this The Rolls has 4 belts to operate the Waterpump and 1 to run the alternator:shocked: and you have to take the fan off to put a new one on:-|. Air in the diesel turned out to be the O'rings one in the elbow through the chassis by the tank and the other where the plastic fuel joins the metal to the engine. Turns out you can get just the O'rings that fit inside these fitting(many thanks to the Army for the fittings:D)

The drops ran perfect all the way back to southern Germany Markus was well chuffed he thought it would be a long slow drive back. The drops ran at a constant 48mph all the way up hill and down dale.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50593[/ATTACH]

picked this one up from David Crouches its going to a mate in Germany after we have done a few mods to it;). It drove back from Davids to ours 200k away as sweet as anything, but got a battery warning light(belt thrown off and snapped) seems to have got the air in the diesel syndrome that a few others have posted about:embarrassed:. I will make a start on it in the morning and find the cause of the air leak.