1944 Hispano Suiza HS404 20MM Anti Aircraft Gun

Hopefully , you can see all six pics of my wartime Hispano Suiza 20MM Anti Aircraft Gun -I will try and put some pics up soon with more of a close up view .

It was built in 1944 and we have the original dated sight and spares box , ammo trailer and spare drum magazines and the original firing record book etc - If anyone has any more info on these guns and where they were used then I would love to hear - Also if anyone has any of the original tool kit please let me know .

We did have an old chap come talking to us on this years' trans pennine run who was in the wartime para units at Arnhem and he said that they had at least two of these there in 1944 - He said they had also used the polsten versions of these guns . Cheers:coffee:

SDC12027.jpg

SDC12026.jpg

SDC11981.jpg

SDC11982.jpg

SDC12028.jpg

SDC11970.jpg

Hi,

There is a guy local to me that has one of these. From speaking to him, he has some information but has had difficulty tracing a definative history.

I could have a word and see if he is happy for me to send you his contact details?

Let me know.

cheers,

djbe.

We did have an old chap come talking to us on this years' trans pennine run who was in the wartime para units at Arnhem and he said that they had at least two of these there in 1944 - He said they had also used the polsten versions of these guns .

Great gun, but I think the veteran 's memory has failed him. Understandably, because after 65 years your Hispano Suiza looks a lot like the Polsten.

But in 1944 1st AB Recce brought two Polsten 20mm guns on Airborne mount to Arnhem. A replica of one of these is on display at the Airborne Museum at Oosterbeek. Try finding the one of the guys of the Arnhem Battle Research Group, the published a booklet on the Airborne 20-mm gun.

Also see http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/20_mm_aa_guns.htm for Colin Stevens' web page on 20-mm guns.

Hispano-Suiza HS.404: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispano-Suiza_HS.404

HTH,

Hanno

Edited by mcspool

I am assuming this is not the British Army version of this weapon and therefore the mount will be different?

This gun is on its' standard wartime mount just the same that was sold to the British , The Americans etc - The only problem would seem is that the only information that is ever available , picture wise at least , is of the Polsten version of the Gun . Whenever the HS404 is mentioned , there are never any wartime pictures for the Ground /Trailer Mount , just aircraft guns etc .

I don't think there are too many of these about in private hands , mine came from an Airborne collector - Another used to be owned by a chap in Southport but I know he sold that a good few years ago . The chap I bought mine from also had a mock up repro of the polsten version seen at Beltring . Obviously if anyone has any pictures etc give me a shout cheers:coffee:

• 3 weeks later...

Lovely mount!

The more commonly used British wartime 20mm mountings were the Universal mount and Haszard Baird mounts both based on a round turntable and demountable for use on a 10 cwt truck like the one seen at shows on the UK circuit. They could also be towed short distances behind a Jeep or truck.

The Polsten airborne mount was indeed used at Arnhem and on several other operations and was designed to be used behind a Jeep, the gun was a simpler and easier to maintain design. There is one known original version I have studied, there are 3 excellent replicas, I am making the fourth...slowly! I have collected a fair amount of information on all three mounts.

Colt

• 1 month later...

Dear Mr. Beresford,

Congratulations on your beautiful Hispano HS404!! We also have a live Hispano Suiza HS404 from 1939 in our collection, which is almost unfired and as new condition.

But we are missing the original sight and the 60 rd drum, do you know of a 60 rd drum for sale, as we are keen to purchase one or more?

Attached are some pictures from today, but they are of poor quality as it is quite dark in the workshops.

Look forward to hear from you.

Best regards,

Clark Sindorf

PICT0181.jpg

PICT0184.jpg

PICT0187.jpg

PICT0186.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38996[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38995[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38994[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38997[/ATTACH]

Dear Mr. Beresford,

Congratulations on your beautiful Hispano HS404!! We also have a live Hispano Suiza HS404 from 1939 in our collection, which is almost unfired and as new condition.

But we are missing the original sight and the 60 rd drum, do you know of a 60 rd drum for sale, as we are keen to purchase one or more?

Attached are some pictures from today, but they are of poor quality as it is quite dark in the workshops.

Look forward to hear from you.

Best regards,

Clark Sindorf

Hi Clark ,

Another very nice Gun you have there - Unfortunately I do not have the spares that you need as I only have my own boxed site and 1 original drum mag on the Gun with 2 larger types in wicker baskets as spares - I am always on the lookout for spares etc and if I find duplicates of things at good prices I will always let you know . I am on the lookout for a decent toolkit and cleaning kit like the one you have for your gun if you ever come across another please let me know .

It is great to see other guns out there at last as you don't see them that often Thanks for the pics .

Best Regards ,

Glynn

Hi Glyn, I think the Hispano Suiza you have is the one I owned a few years ago

mine had a brass end machined for the barrel but it had the small towing eye

when owned by myself I did have the tool box complete with kit for this gun if

you drop me a PM

Commander

Hi ,

Yes I have seen the Triple Guns before as I belive they are more plentiful than the single barrelled version on trailer/ground mounts - I was once offered one of the triple barrelled versions by a chap on the Isle of Wight a good number of years ago

Keep the info coming guys , this is great to see , Thanks