My first Landrover Restoration.

airportable

Day off work t'day and the sun out. Decided to start the rebuild propper. Chassis blacked, must admit it was hard work. Black dryed very fast so it was the brush in the tin, wipe on chassis, back in tin for more. No chance of overbrushing, but it has painted well and I want to treat with a underseal much like my other Landi.

Very first part refitted was the steering relay followed by the front springs and axle. Boy are the parts heavy! So far everything been spot on with the new chassis. I'm very lucky I have a stock of imperial washers, UNF and UNC nuts and bolts to replace fittings I dont want to reuse.

It would make a rebuild much easyier to have bolts etc. bagged up ready for use and not have to find them once you have started, especially imperial flat/spring washers.

Will post contact details for paint, forgot to look t'night and I need my tea.:-D

Andy as my parts come in for my rebuild I actually write on the bag what they are and the part numbers.

Where parts are taken off and able to be reused I put them in old take away tubs / marg tubs / jars etc and write on them with permanent marker. Exactly because of the issue you have mentioned. Proof will be in the pudding, but trying to use as many new fixings as possible. mainly due to old Cdo LTWT being in the sea too often and chassis is Kerry Packered. Getting great inspiration from your thread through. What paint did you use? What the chasis paint specced by your neighbour too! Looks like and Epoxy based system.

Cheers

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for your comments Wayne. I will need to pay a visit to this paint supplier for correct details on the products I have used. I need the Nato green and white for the UN finish. does not have a trade shop as such as buisness looked like wholesale and local boat builders etc. Only dealt with RAL and BS No. for colours. Very helpfull chap.

I hope thats a genuine steering relay and not a S*&tpart one. The genuine one is fine the other will kill you.

Quite agree, I had one shear in two a few years ago. Luckily was in a field at the time, so no harm done. No more S***part for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Friend offerered to take me down to the Newbury 4x4 auto jumble this last Sun. Well, I was rather taken back and not really prepared with a list etc. But did pick up quite a few bits, stick set complete, odds and ends. But really pleased I ended up finding a steering coloum shroud, wiper motor cover and a new light switch. Could have had all sorts of other bits, but cash was running out. (should have left radio kit alone) Bit of a pity, when Airportable is mentioned, 'well those parts are rare now' Even met a couple of forum members.

Just to give folks who want to restore a Airportable, prices I paid for used parts from Newbury.

Screen, bought for glass and realy the top fixing plate for a canvas. £20

Stick set and retaining plates. £130

As new light switch, complete with knob. £25

Demister vent. £5

Steering coloum shroud, X3. £22 !!

Wiper motor cover. £1

Bulkhead vent closers. £10

2011-04-09 Rebuild (4).JPG

More parts bought today. Pair rear dampers, pair track rod ends. £57.60

Radiator cowl, flex oil cooler pipe, two fuel tank caps, fuel tank tube and filter, two used hub drive flange and caps. Hooks x4, to hang up seat belts. £90

It sure is getting a expensive job.

2011-04-09 Rebuild.JPG

On the rebuild front, rear axle all but done, now standing on the wheels. Front axle all but done,but had to knock off early for a party.

On the 'never know what you will find front' How I missed the sheared off stud for the hub cap, not sure. But boy was I lucky!

2011-04-09 Rebuild (6).JPG

2011-04-09 Rebuild (7).JPG

2011-04-09 Rebuild (8).JPG

Rolled the chassis out into the sun today for the first time. Steering linkage fitted, front diff. pinion seal done. Best of all the bulk head back on ready for jigging up so footwell panels can be removed. Not looking forward to that stage of the job.:-(

2011-04-10 Restoration (7).jpg

2011-04-10 Restoration (9).JPG

Ended up having a busy day. Folks kept turning up tp help!

Started to 'jig' the tub,bulkhead and doors. Jacked, shimmed and pulled into a good alignment ready for making frame to hold before cutting out footwells etc. Inspecting the old chassis it has become obvious that the Landi had suffered a hard bang on the front offside and possibly slightly distorted the bulkhead that side. But dont think it will be a prob. Could not help making a cut though in the footwell. Not too sure what we are doing, so any tips will be of great help.

Andy.

2011-04-15 Rebuild (12).JPG

2011-04-15 Rebuild (18).JPG

2011-04-15 Rebuild.JPG

I'm enjoying this blog. I rebuilt a series 2 about ten years ago but it didn't look as tidy as this one is shaping up. I drove a lot of airportables in the army and I thought they were fantastic to handle. I spent a bit of time in Bulford garrison, which features a pretty sharp bend and barely a week went past without seeing one being put back on it's feet there by the REME, after some squaddy had rolled it going too fast.

Ended up having a busy day. Folks kept turning up tp help!

Started to 'jig' the tub,bulkhead and doors. Jacked, shimmed and pulled into a good alignment ready for making frame to hold before cutting out footwells etc. Inspecting the old chassis it has become obvious that the Landi had suffered a hard bang on the front offside and possibly slightly distorted the bulkhead that side. But dont think it will be a prob. Could not help making a cut though in the footwell. Not too sure what we are doing, so any tips will be of great help.

Andy.

Andy just noticed that you have defender hinges on your doors / door pillars. Are you swapping them out for genuine? Knowing how engroced you are in your rebuild I would say you are! ;)

Andy just noticed that you have defender hinges on your doors / door pillars. Are you swapping them out for genuine? Knowing how engroced you are in your rebuild I would say you are! ;)
Hi, yes I'm refitting correct hinges. I found three and a bit of the correct hinges in a box of bits last week, but a couple of the door hinge half's are a little out of shape. I hope mon. to drop into my parts supplier, and hope He has some. I think I really need to fit before I finally jig bulkhead and cut out panels. Those defender hinges have been fitted in new positions by redrilling door pillars :(

Hi, yes I'm refitting correct hinges. I found three and a bit of the correct hinges in a box of bits last week, but a couple of the door hinge half's are a little out of shape. I hope mon. to drop into my parts supplier, and hope He has some. I think I really need to fit before I finally jig bulkhead and cut out panels. Those defender hinges have been fitted in new positions by redrilling door pillars :(

Ooooo Errrrr! are you fitting new door pillars with the bulkhead/ footwell repairs m8? What a sacrilage in the first place.

Also noticed fuel filler arrangement in rear tub. What are your plans with that my friend? great progress and thread though m8y. Hope to do more on mine over coming bank holidays/ excuse not to be in work ;)

Door pillars- will stop, just need to refill and reopen origional position. The new lower hinge panels will hide the repair anyway. To be honest the bulkhead is in quite good cond. with only a couple of small patches of rot in the footwells. The hinge panels are in better condition than 54HG12 with a couple of rust bubbles appearing. But I know with the other Landi they may well go very quick now rot has started, much easier to sort out now than five or so years down the line, just think it makes sence to replace with new zintec coated panels now. (found in the shed another set of galv. hinge panels !!!!, do for 54HG12:))

The side filler will also have to go, pity the fuel tank has been modified to allow rear filling, but again be daft not to return to origional now before tub is sorted and sprayed.

Change of plan today, was going to get stuck in with job. But off to sort through a shed of stuff mate wants to clear out!!

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more progress this weekend. L/H footwell and hinge panel cut out, quite difficult due to previous repair. Little more rot found but nothing serious. All maiting areas cleaned up and a dry run today with the new panels which fit a treat. Door now fits even better, may refit the wing to make sure alignment is spot on before extra bracing is added so I can again remove the panels, and treat any rust and paint. Then the next side.

The new loom arived this week from Auto Sparks, cost £295.44, how nice and flexy it all is!

2011-05-08 Rebuild (4).JPG

2011-05-08 Rebuild (8).JPG

2011-05-08 Rebuild (14).JPG

Rebuild.JPG