Basil is homesick! Fox CVR(W)

handler 69

Hey all

Now being the proud owner of Basil the Fox, I have come up against something that I really need help with.......HE WON"T START :blush:

Compression is fine average 155, plugs have all been cleaned and gapped and now spark fine.

Awful strong smell of fuel, I have been told that the Fox "floods" at the drop of a hat.

We had him going last Saturday and once he had warmed up was fine but since then he refuses to play the game.

Gentlemen if you have any ideas I really would like to hear them :embarrassed:, aside from backing him up the driveway I have yet to drive him and would love to do so......please, please help.

Cheers

Troy

fox 28-10-10 002.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sure others with more experience of running Foxes will tell you more clearly but I can tell what others have said, that blowing the exhaust apart from raw fuel igniting is a real occurence and more fun than you need.

I have found on "no start" occasions to stop and leave it for a day to clear and start all over again using less if any choke.

I think Lee has posted various items on his fuel pumps etc. I suspect that cranking a few times from cold with no choke will actually get fuel up through the system. I deeply suspect that it drains back down between usage.

More when we get ours running again.

R

Astonishly enough I though I might get in here with a tip, but I am too late.

I had a Peugeot 309. I discovered (AA man told me) a "feature" of the Peugeot automatic choke that if it stalled in the first two minutes in the cold, it wouldn't start.

Pop the bonnet, Allen key the air filter to get at the carb underneath.

Poke the Allen key through the closed automatic choke to hold it open.

Jump in. Start car (first time, no problems).

Jump out, reverse process, keeping revs up using the throttle cable if necessary.

Jump in. Drive off. Sorted.

Since then I have only owned VWs with electronic ignition and I just turn the key and drive off. Sweet.

Hey mate

Yes Eddie sent me over all the manuals, including all the exploded diagrams. Was just wondering as I would like to change the filters ( or clean them) and how hard it would be to tune him up. It certainly won't take much to put him back into shape for sure.

Cheers

Troy

In that case all the information you need on changing the filters should be in the manuals. As for tuining it up, is it on electronic ignition or points? If it's electronic I doubt it needs any tuning. There should be a yellow warning sticker on the top of the distributor if the electronic module is fitted. I find J60s are very sensitive to spark plugs and always run much better on a fresh set of RSN12Ys.

Just got some new spark plugs, he has points so reckon he will need a tune up :D

Does anyone know where I can get a new air filter from? This one is just about R/S, is there a civillian version I can get? I can't wait to see the postage it would cost me to get one here! :shocked:

Just bought two mirrors for my Landie for 8.00pds....postage 44.00 pds.......she who must be obeyed ain't impressed and Iam in the dog house again :cry:

Well we can't get that filter in Tasmania ( no ferkin surprise there :() so from Merry old England it must come....hopefully next boat load of convicts please ( we are starting to get used to boat people here :-D)

Anyway Basil bite the mechanic and I have to take the carbie off to have it fixed, think Basil's being more of a pig than a fox :nut:

Just got some new spark plugs, he has points so reckon he will need a tune up :D

I'm sure Eddie said it had electronic ignition.. if not change it to electronic, if you can not locate an original module kit contact Jolley, he should be able to help as the distributor is similar to a B60 distributor but running in reverse.. see page 11 http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/IGNITIONMATTERS.pdf worth reading this article before you start messing with the points anyway

Anyway Basil bite the mechanic and I have to take the carbie off to have it fixed,

What's broken??

Well after a gruelling hour long effort we have the carbie off. About an inch and a half of fuel lying in the bowl at the bottom..mechanic says well that explains why he stinks of fuel and ain't running right! :nut:

I says well are we going to have it fixed by Friday night? I have a show on Saturday.......I haven't heard anyone laugh so much ( well except for my missus on our wedding night :cool2:)

What causes this much fuel to be dumped down the carbie? Wonder what it is gunna cost!

What causes this much fuel to be dumped down the carbie? Wonder what it is gunna cost!

A leaking float (float full of fuel), float not adjusted properly or sticking needle valve..

This may help but your mechanic should know all this anyway..

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/carb_troubleshooting.htm

I asked the mechanic if it would be fixed by Friday and he laughed at me, he knows something that I don't??:cry:

Maybe he knows he's about to give you a big bill & a load of BS.. should only take a couple of hours max to give the carb a clean & stick it back on.. even if the float needs repairing.

I know that Fox quite well & it was running fine last time I saw it, I can't see there being any major problems with it..