Lapsed HGV Licence

Hi,

My paper HGV3 licence ran out back in '93, not long after I left the TA.

Is there any way that I can resurrect this licence under the new licencing laws and what hoops do I have to jump through to do it?

A medical obviously but what else?

Thanks in anticipation,

Hi,

My paper HGV3 licence ran out back in '93, not long after I left the TA.

Is there any way that I can resurrect this licence under the new licencing laws and what hoops do I have to jump through to do it?

A medical obviously but what else?

Thanks in anticipation,

Your licence would have been upgraded to a Class two licence when the changes happened. I notice you are 48. I'm not sure, but I think all you need to do is to apply for a photocard driving licence along with a medical report from a doctor to regain your entitlement. You will also need to apply for a digicard as most new trucks have the new digital tacho. Give the DVLA a call and explain the situation to see where you stand.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/MedicalRulesForDrivers/DG_186330

How to re-apply for your lorry or bus driving licence

You’ll need to fill in a D2 application form and the medical questionnaire relevant to your condition. The D2 form is available from DVLA's form ordering service You can search the DVLA medical A to Z to find your medical condition and the correct questionnaire for you.

If you are aged 45 to 65, then you only need to submit a D4 if you have not done so in the last five years. From the age 65, licences are issued for one year and each renewal must be accompanied by a completed medical report form D4.

Click on the links below..

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/MedicalRulesForDrivers/DG_186330

How to re-apply for your lorry or bus driving licence

You’ll need to fill in a D2 application form and the medical questionnaire relevant to your condition. The D2 form is available from DVLA's form ordering service You can search the DVLA medical A to Z to find your medical condition and the correct questionnaire for you.

If you are aged 45 to 65, then you only need to submit a D4 if you have not done so in the last five years. From the age 65, licences are issued for one year and each renewal must be accompanied by a completed medical report form

This form is to apply licences that have been suspended or revoked, NOT expired, if your licence expired many years ago you have to retake the test

Edited by Nick Johns

• 10 years later...

Your existing licence will only expire if you do not complete your medical standards test when you reach the age of 45 or if you miss one of the obligatory medicals; it’s mandatory that all HGV drivers undertake a medical once every five years. If you do lose your entitlement to your licence through one of these causes, however, you simply have to complete a medical and send off for your licence again. Under the current rules, the DVLA will issue you another licence as there is no time limit.

https://www.surreyandhampshirehgvtraining.co.uk/index.php/can-reapply-lapsed-hgv-licence/

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Nick Johns said:

With the shambolic state of DVLA at present dont think there is Any "Fast track" for anything from them, waiting time is about 5 weeks.

To drive commercially you will first need to get your CPC up to date

CPC, driver card, medical & licence. The rates in certain areas are good, the supermarket job I was doing has an earnings potential of £1250 per week, more if you work nights. Don't forget your pension will count towards your tax liability but there will be no National Insurance to pay. Most companies will want you to work PAYE either directly or through an agency, working through a limited company on IR35 was extended for a year but finished in April 2021.

You will still have to put up with the idiots who carve you up and take responsibility for anything that goes wrong even if it is not your fault.

I think you will find that from now on there will be NI to pay whatever age if you work.

A few weeks ago I took my CVRT out, we went through a busy part of my area, my neighbour was astonished when a driver pulled out on front of me, I expect it, even driving a CVRT - seen it all before.

Car and van drivers have no idea they are dicing with death challenging heavy vehicles and it's regular occurrence these days.

"You will still have to put up with the idiots who carve you up and take responsibility for anything that goes wrong even if it is not your fault."

Very true

44 minutes ago, Diana and Jackie said:

I think you will find that from now on there will be NI to pay whatever age if you work.

I thought it was only if you were self employed and paying class 4 contributions, I haven't paid NI since I was 65. Most transport companies will not take self employed these days, certainly in my area.

Edited by radiomike7

• 11 months later...

I was 73 in July have a class 1 or C+E whatever you want to call it now and there is a really simple answer to the initial question the situation was unless it has changed was if you allowed your licence to lapse you had 10 years to take up a renewal after that period it was a simple start again which i think is pretty fair

On 8/20/2022 at 9:39 AM, Mike Hanlon said:

Do you need to send a photo every time you renew your licence after the age of sixty five.

Regards

Mike

The age limit is 70 , not 65.
Photos are valid for 10 years. The renewal date for the photo is shown (in very small print) on the photo itself on your licence 
so upon reaching age 70, you may need to update your photo if by that age it is 10 years since your last one. 

upon renewing the licence every 3 years from 70 onwards you won't need a photo until the current photo is itself expiring. DVLA should include a reminder to do so when applying for the renewal as it will x ref to the passport photo it holds (if you had one when last renewing)  or its own records if you didn't have a passport last time you renewed.

for example, I will need to renew my photo at age 67, thereafter it won't need updating until age 77 (by which time it will likely be my funeral picture)

Edited by john fox

8 hours ago, oats and barley said:

We are going off topic here any way I have had to renew my class 1 every year since i was 65 the 3 year thing is for a normal car licence at reaching 70 as said 10 years use it or lose it

Correct and I didn't send a new photo last time (I'm 66) as the renewal form didn't ask for it.

Andy