Death of Guy Gibson 19.09.1944

Snapper

Today is the anniversary of the death of Wing Commander Guy Gibson and his navigator Squadron Leader JB Warwick. They are buried in Steenbergen in the Netherlands. I have never visited their graves, but will get there in time. With the impending fuss about the remake of the Dambusters it is right and proper to record this date. Gibson is something of a sacred cow for his exploits, but he was not universally liked in his lifetime. He seems to have been a bit of a difficult character, not perfect as we like our heroes to be. His leadership qualities are beyond doubt as is his personal bravery. He knew what he was fighting for. There is a great deal written about him, but the hardest thing to reconcile today is not the nonsense about the name of his dog, he was a man of his time; but the fact that when he died he was still only 26 years old. Look at all the people of that age today having their fifteen minutes of fame and earning millions from kicking footballs or making salads and it makes you wonder where things went wrong/got better (you choose).

With the impending fuss about the remake of the Dambusters it is right and proper to record this date. Gibson is something of a sacred cow for his exploits, but he was not universally liked in his lifetime. He seems to have been a bit of a difficult character, not perfect as we like our heroes to be. His leadership qualities are beyond doubt as is his personal bravery. He knew what he was fighting for.

All those who excel in wartime tend not to be of the "oh what a great chap" - David Stirling and Paddy Mayne are another two who spring to mind in this mould. Maybe the aggression that makes a good leader in wartime is the reason??

I had the great privilege once of talking to a former member of 1 SAS at a regimental "do" and he described both David and Paddy in much the same terms - yet was almost fanatically loyal to both men.

Personally - I wonder where things went wrong - usually every time I see one of that nunch of brown-nosers laughably described as the UK Gov't in the media!!! :cry: :cry: