1938 Humber

Morris C8

Just came across this thread, very nice. My first car ever was an identical Humber staff car, bought at a scrap yard in Borden in 1957. It cost five pounds, start her up and drive away, no problems. I was in the REME at Borden, 17 years old, no licence, no insurance, no registration, Oh the good old days! We actually bought 2 for five pounds each. My mate rolled his on a trip to Scotland (that's how good they were) and I gave him mine when I was posted to Singapore. BTW there were about 15 Austin sevens lined up, five pounds each, drive away. Baz

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi... I'm restoring a Humber Box. Just found out that the engine valve seats are very corroded. The outlet valve seats are hardened inserts and cannot be ground. You mentioned you were taking your engine to be rebuilt. Can the workshop you use replace valve seats?

Cheers

Chris

• 1 year later...

I've said it before but ...It'll wear saying again :) .....

That's a lovely car :) ...can I ask why does she have (seemingly?) very wide wheels and tyres ? are they a fitting used by the Army during the War ? North Africa perhaps? ..........they do look to me like desert tyres ?...

anyways ! a very nice motor and surprised no-ones taken your arm off for her I would have thought that's a fair price for such a nice condition car and with history :)

• 1 month later...

Fellows,

I thought that this would be a good place to put this ad however moderator please move my post if it is not appropriate. I have a 1946 Humber Snipe, Super Snipe and Pullman owners handbook. The outside cover is a bit worn but the pages inside are all there and in good condition. If anyone needs such a handbook for their restoration, please Pm me.

Cheers

John