1938 Humber

Morris C8

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jcpdw

Hi keith the humber staf car looks very nice and I see it is in use by a 4 star general (your dad ?). lots off different vehicles I see, is that a guy ant GS in the back these are nice to.

keep up the good work.

cheers jaap

:captain:

Hi keith the humber staf car looks very nice and I see it is in use by a 4 star general (your dad ?). lots off different vehicles I see, is that a guy ant GS in the back these are nice to.

keep up the good work.

cheers jaap

:captain:

Yours Humber is very good vehicle!

Maybe, in futere, on Normandy see you with Humber.

regards

Tomas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Nice looking Humber reminds me of the one I did years ago. When I restored mine the boot floor was so rotten I decided to rebuild it at an angle like the army ones for clearing loading ramps. The front and rear wings were banded and widened 2 inches like the army ones were during the war by the Briggs Motor Body company.

I lost track of it years ago but remember seeing it in an advert for sale in the old Wheels & Tracks magazine, but a friend of mine said he saw it at a military vehicle rally in England some time ago

The picture I found on the web with the Dutch registration my old car taken a few years ago.

Cheers Stan.

060 (600 x 399).jpg

01-Humber-Super-Snipe(1939),Oirschot.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Original Photo of a pre war Humber [ split screen ] captured by a German LW unit [German air force] from the Dunkirk area in 1940 with some German staff cars [ Mercedes ]. Bren carrier on the far left of photo. Photos of pre war Humbers in army use British or German are hard to find, most of the pre war humbers were taken from there owners in 1939 to help the war as the british army were so short of Vehicles.

Keith

pre war humber in german use 194.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A bit of history on the Humber.

First registration was on 27 April 1938 by Walter Otton & Sons Ltd of Exeter, The car was bought from new, it was Dark Blue, chassis number 6001276.

The car was taken by the Government, for the war and was used from 1939 to 1945 when the humber was given back to the owner on 31 Dec 1946. The car then had a new logbook and put back on the road. The owner Reginald Otton died [ road tax up till 1966 ], it was then sold to G.C.Greenwell in 1978, he then made it into a army staff car for the movies Appointment with Death and Peter Ustinov, Lauren Bacall can be seen in the back of it in the movie, the other movie it was in IKE with Robert Duvall and Lee Remick.

The Humber was sold to the drummer of Status Quo [ John Gillie ] who used it in the Isle of man, they went to the 40th Anniversary of D Day landings in 1984.

It was sold to other owners then we bought it. It was used as a staff car during the war but we have no info by who.

humber car reg.jpg

ike.jpg

film ag.jpg