latest dvla problem

Hi,

My 2ps worth (& I have been following this thread for weeks) is older AFVs designs met the C & U regs back in the day & 80s/90s designs ones don’t,after all an AFV is designed to kill & they don’t have crumple zones!Plus on a C.V.R.(T) the steering brakes can’t be pulled back at once because their is a metal pin (Called an interlock,in the 1960s designed ones) put in to stop you pulling both steering levers at once (by mistake).

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

My 2ps worth (& I have been following this thread for weeks) is older AFVs designs met the C & U regs back in the day & 80s/90s designs ones don’t,after all an AFV is designed to kill & they don’t have crumple zones!Plus on a C.V.R.(T) the steering brakes can’t be pulled back at once because their is a metal pin (Called an interlock,in the 1960s designed ones) put in to stop you pulling both steering levers at once (by mistake).

A lot of AFV's which have been registered in the past, were registered in error, because even at the time they did not meet C and U regs.

Just because an AFV is road registered, that is no guarantee that it ever met C and U or that its use on the road was ever legal.

Reading the latest edition of Practical Classics today -Jan 2011, page 22 - from an article in there it looks like the DVLA are up to their tricks again - new proposals require the engine number to be registered on the V5 - and if you change engines DVLA want the exact history of the new engine... No history and the V5 is will not be issued.

The PC editorial asks the question how this can be enforced on classic vehicles and - as thus far - has not received a reply from DVLA. The implications for the MV movement are all to apparent - consider what will happen if a WLF were to be re-engined with this enforced.....

Yet another piece of pointless legislation - and rumoured (I cannot find any proof either way) to come from Brussels again....

Been watching this tread for a while,seeing as the hand brake is aplied by a ratchet it should be posible to fit a lorry stile sprung on air cylinder to the cable with a discreet lorry hand brake valve ,it would meen you needed a air supply but would give you the requied control on braking ,this should then comply with the requied rule .

Reading the latest edition of Practical Classics today -Jan 2011, page 22 - from an article in there it looks like the DVLA are up to their tricks again - new proposals require the engine number to be registered on the V5 - and if you change engines DVLA want the exact history of the new engine... No history and the V5 is will not be issued.

The PC editorial asks the question how this can be enforced on classic vehicles and - as thus far - has not received a reply from DVLA. The implications for the MV movement are all to apparent - consider what will happen if a WLF were to be re-engined with this enforced.....

Yet another piece of pointless legislation - and rumoured (I cannot find any proof either way) to come from Brussels again....

Here we go way off topic again... besides that I can't see any new tricks?? seems quite resonable to me.. the changes came in quite a while back..

Change to engine and cylinder capacity (engine size)

DVLA will need written evidence of any changes to engine number and cylinder capacity (cc). Written evidence can be:

• a receipt for the replacement engine

• written evidence from the manufacturer

• an inspection report provided for insurance purposes

• written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle

Change to fuel type

DVLA will need written confirmation of any changes to fuel type if:

• your existing engine is converted - the confirmation must be on headed paper from the garage that carried out the work

• a new engine is fitted - the receipt will be required as confirmation

Been watching this tread for a while,seeing as the hand brake is aplied by a ratchet it should be posible to fit a lorry stile sprung on air cylinder to the cable with a discreet lorry hand brake valve ,it would meen you needed a air supply but would give you the requied control on braking ,this should then comply with the requied rule .

Would of thought with a bit of careful planning the brakes should be able to be modified, you would probably need an engineers report to certify the work & would need to let your insurance Co. know that the vehicle had been modified.

This is all 'Vehicle specific'! It all depends on when it was first used:

As 'Originally posted:

'Hughes Guides' starts off:-

"Brakes . . . . .

Braking systems of certain vehicles FIRST USED ON OR AFTER 1st April 1983. . . . . "

When I've got the time I will try and trawl through the C + U Regs. and see what rules apply from what date.

Quite important to our hobby, I think!

Chas.:-)

Here we go way off topic again... besides that I can't see any new tricks?? seems quite resonable to me.. the changes came in quite a while back..

Change to engine and cylinder capacity (engine size)

DVLA will need written evidence of any changes to engine number and cylinder capacity (cc). Written evidence can be:

• a receipt for the replacement engine

• written evidence from the manufacturer

• an inspection report provided for insurance purposes

• written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle

Change to fuel type

DVLA will need written confirmation of any changes to fuel type if:

• your existing engine is converted - the confirmation must be on headed paper from the garage that carried out the work

• a new engine is fitted - the receipt will be required as confirmation

Read the article in PC - problems would appear to be arising when owners of older vehicles rebuild an engine obtained from other sources (not a garage or main dealer) and rebuild it themselves. It is impossible then to comply with any of these mandates and DVL are with-holding the V5's.

As the topic is "latest dvla problem" - I am not sure highlighting another potential problem with the agency is off-topic!!

As the topic is "latest dvla problem" - I am not sure highlighting another potential problem with the agency is off-topic!!

The topic is about registering a certain Stommer.. trying to keep the thread on track so as not to confuse the reason why it has been refused registration.