• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a final lowering of the RAF ensign on 31 March 2010, Both remaing units were then moving to Northolt, the Bunker was then to be handed to English Heritage. Officially RAF Uxbridge is history and what an incredible history it is !!

TED

I hope it's off the Kremlin's target list?

It's probably apocryphal, but I've heard it said that the big red brick civic centre opposite the base mentioned earlier once doubled as the Kremlin in a film!

For those who can't access the link I posted earlier, it concludes:

The Grade I listed wartime operations room bunker at RAF Uxbridge will be preserved as a museum, while the Grade II listed Hillingdon House will be converted into luxury apartments or a hotel. The station cinema is Grade II listed. The Battle of Britain War Memorial will become a protected monument.

thats the one ,only 7 or 8 miles from me and Ive never been there

I lived near it in Iver Heath when I was going to school, me and my friends use to ride our bikes through there as a short cut from Hillingdon, then there was a bomb explosion in the camp and it was all sealed off and guards posted. I have not been up there that end for many years !!

I have a possible contact with the curator of the Uxbridge control room so if anyone is interested may be able to get something organised re a visit,let me know if anyone is interested and if there is sufficient response I will see what can be done

Nigel

I have a possible contact with the curator of the Uxbridge control room so if anyone is interested may be able to get something organised re a visit,let me know if anyone is interested and if there is sufficient response I will see what can be done

Nigel

The Boiler Suit Brigade from The Dugout would be very interested in this. :cool2:

• 4 weeks later...

I had a phone call from RAF Uxbridge today saying that a tour for between 10 and 48 people is possible ,unfirtunately it has to be on a week day and would not be possible until feb or march next year so if anyone is interested I was thinking of trying for half term in feb to allow anyone thats wants to to bring thier kids .Contact me on here either by pm or just on the forum and I will start a list

Nigel

I had a phone call from RAF Uxbridge today saying that a tour for between 10 and 48 people is possible ,unfirtunately it has to be on a week day and would not be possible until feb or march next year so if anyone is interested I was thinking of trying for half term in feb to allow anyone thats wants to to bring thier kids .Contact me on here either by pm or just on the forum and I will start a list

Nigel

What a result! Put the 4 of us down please!!!!!!!

okay folks the trip to Raf Uxbridge is booked,just awaiting written details which I will post asap,the date is friday 25th of feb 2011 at 2 pm,there is plenty of parking adjacent to the ops room.

As this is still an operational base I will need names and details of all attending so if these can be forwarde to me fairly soon I can pass them on to curator at the ops room

thanks ,Nigel

• 1 month later...

I am just filling in the forms for the trip to Uxbridge and still need details from those wishing to attend,I have details for David Ives and daughter ans Nick Johns plus 2 but need names nationalities and vehicle reg numbers for all others wishing to visit,I will be sending the form saturday morning so any details not on the form then will not be able to be added after this date nad Uxbridge were quite emphatic that anyone not on the list would not be admitted

cheers ,Nigel