London LEZ. Some confusion over exemption.

Some may have seen that i have put the 101 up for sale in the classifieds.The idea was at some point to get a RB44 next year.

That was until today when in conversation with Nick Johns,and something that had totally slipped my mind. He reminded me. That an RB44 would not comply with the next stage of the LEZ.Now going through the exemptions on the TFL website. It says military vehicles registered in GB are exempt. It seems a bit vague. As i would have thought it should have read. "Vehicles operated by the crown".

Could this be a loop hole in which i could use one??.

Some may have seen that i have put the 101 up for sale in the classifieds.The idea was at some point to get a RB44 next year.

That was until today when in conversation with Nick Johns,and something that had totally slipped my mind. He reminded me. That an RB44 would not comply with the next stage of the LEZ.Now going through the exemptions on the TFL website. It says military vehicles registered in GB are exempt. It seems a bit vague. As i would have thought it should have read. "Vehicles operated by the crown".

No loophole i'm afraid.

TFL's argument would be that a RB44 is only a military vehcile when it's in service.

Mark my words, the london LEZ is just a test to see if the cameras work, when the cameras work, expect london wide congestion charging!

I was reminded. That an RB44 would not comply with the next stage of the LEZ.Now. It says military vehicles registered in GB are exempt. It seems a bit vague. .

No chance...the exemption applies to HM & other foreign forces serving mv's !!

Mark, you need to check with some of the companies that convert vehicles to see if the Perkins phaser engine can be made to be Euro 4 complient, the regs at present require vehicle over 3.5t gw to be Euro 3 complient but this changes in Jan 2012 to Euro 4 Alas there are no loopholes or exemptions....well, apart from heaving out the Perkins lump and put a big block Chevy V8 gas guzzler in !

There has been an amendment to allow motor caravans exempt if they are below 2.5 tons unladen but that won't help an RB

Edited by Nick Johns

Exemptions

Although few in number and unlikely to apply to the majority

of operators, there are some exemptions to the LEZ. These

vehicles can be driven within the zone without meeting the

LEZ emissions standards or paying a daily charge.

Where no action is required by operator

• Small vans under 1.205t unladen weight. Not ‘technically’

exempt – just not included, as are cars and motorcycles

• Historic vehicles (those built before 1 January 1973)

• Military vehicles registered in Great Britain according to

the following specification as stated in TfL’s scheme order:

– any vehicle being used on a road by an individual for

the time being subject to the orders of a member of

the armed forces of the Crown, or to the instructions

of an official of the Ministry of Defence (MOD)

– TfL is satisfied on the application of the MOD that it is

a vehicle used for naval, military or air force purposes

– the vehicle is not registered under the Vehicle and

Excise Duty Act 1994

• Foreign registered military vehicles according to the

following specification as stated in TfL’s scheme order:

– any vehicle that TfL is satisfied is used for naval,

military or air force purposes and not registered

under the 1994 act, while it is being used on a road

or by a member of a visiting force or a member of a

headquarters or organisation

You can check compliance here https://lowemissionzone.tfl.gov.uk/b/pb/lezComplianceProvideVRM.faces

Edited by Marmite!!

No chance...the exemption applies to HM & other foreign forces serving mv's !!

Mark, you need to check with some of the companies that convert vehicles to see if the Perkins phaser engine can be made to be Euro 4 complient, it may be possible but will be expensive

There has been an amendment to allow motor caravans exempt if they are below 2.5 tons unladen but that won't help an RB

The cheapest costs are around £4000.We have had quite a few done at work that amount to £8000 onthe bigger Scania,s. To be honest anything over £2000 in conversion costs is not viable for me. Seeing that it will only be used for a few shows a year.

Well spent a few hours today trying to get some sense from TFL. They seem very vague as to what,when, and the criteria will actually be whan the new legislation comes in.

Just another one to throw out to you. In the list of exemptions. it states forestry and agricultral use. Now i dont know if many of you are aware. But most of these are m.o.t and plating exempt. If that were the case and i had something that was m.o.t and plating exempt. I wonder if that would make the list of exemptions??.

Well spent a few hours today trying to get some sense from TFL. They seem very vague as to what,when, and the criteria will actually be whan the new legislation comes in.

Just another one to throw out to you. In the list of exemptions. it states forestry and agricultral use. Now i dont know if many of you are aware. But most of these are m.o.t and plating exempt. If that were the case and i had something that was m.o.t and plating exempt. I wonder if that would make the list of exemptions??.

In one word..NO

Clearly states exemptions for other vehicles..

Vehicles not constructed or adapted for general use on

roads but which are allowed to drive on the highway. TfL

will regard commercial vehicles eligible to utilise red diesel

as exempt from the LEZ except for HMRC categories

of ‘snow clearing machines’ and ‘road gritters’ which are

designed to travel on roads and thus will be subject to the

LEZ requirements

The following are exempt:

– unlicensed vehicles not used on public roads

– tractors

– light agricultural vehicles

– agricultural material handlers and agricultural engines

– agricultural processing vehicles

– vehicles used between different parts of the land

– mowing machines

– mobile cranes, mobile pumping machines (including

concrete pumps)

– digging machines

– work trucks

– road rollers

– a road surfacing vehicle

– tar sprayers

i

TfL has used DVLA data to identify these vehicles and

they should therefore be listed on TfL’s Compliance Register

as exempt (see p12 for further details). However, it is

advisable to check that TfL has the correct vehicle details

by using TfL’s online compliance checker (www.tfl.gov.uk ).

In the event that the categorisation of a vehicle is

wrong, you should contact the TfL LEZ call centre on 0845

607 0009 and you may need to complete a LEZ registration

form (see p12 for further details on registration).

Try living where I do. In...out... in ..out, shake it all about. Legal for two hundred yards ,illegal for two hundred yards.. Complete and total !"£$££"&* up the whole thinmg! :banghead:

My Disco, 200tdi with windows in the back goes where it want, Friends Disco 300tdi with out windows, can't.

I love the idea though that a delivery company could in theory buy a fleet of REO multifuel trucks, pay no road fund licence, theoretically pay no fuel costs (if there was enough mixed fuel being disposed of) and best of all, 'wizz' around London paying no LEZ charge whilst billowing out plumes of smoke.

:nut:

:-D

I love the idea though that a delivery company could in theory buy a fleet of REO multifuel trucks, pay no road fund licence, theoretically pay no fuel costs (if there was enough mixed fuel being disposed of) and best of all, 'wizz' around London paying no LEZ charge whilst billowing out plumes of smoke.

:nut:

:-D

If they were using commercially they would be paying road tax..

Found it! Just pump LEZ registration checker into search engine. So now my Disco is coming up 'Not subject to the emission zone'. The Dodge is coming up 'Exempt from emission zone'. Knowing how TfL weasel words I am wondering about the diffrences.

Was going to comment on database used, decided blood pressure and Moderators might not like it.

Please note: In some instances the compliance checker may not currently provide the correct compliance status of your vehicle. You can check your vehicle status using the compliance flowchart.

Edited by Tony B

Found it! Just pump LEZ registration checker into search engine. So now my Disco is coming up 'Not subject to the emission zone'. The Dodge is coming up 'Exempt from emission zone'. Knowing how TfL weasel words I am wondering about the diffrences.

One is on the list of exempt vehicle types, the other is not subject to the LEZ due to the fact that it's LEZ compliant...