Do any MV clubs qualify as a reenacting group?

jonesy

It looks like the jeep I'll be purchasing has a pedestal mount. So in the near future, I'd like to get a .30 cal for the it. I'd prefer an imitation as they're cheaper than a deac but this VCR act states I need to be a member of a reenactment group if I have an imitation firearm.

So, are there any MV clubs out there which qualify? Or should I just spend the extra cash and go for a de-ac?

Thanks,

Neil.

Am I correct in thinking if its painted a daft colour like orange/red/blue, the VCR act dosn't apply because its no longer trying to imitate a firearm? Hence why toys painted orange are exempt? A guy I've been helping in the US is machining new barrels for Bren L4s and he will make me 2 out of solid bar. I was hoping that painting them Orange would make them exempt from the VCR act.

Thanks for that, I think I have a plan, I'll get him to paint them Yellow at the muzzle end and then they can simulate Blank firing barrels.

If they are replicas of original barrels you could get done for manufacturing component parts.. just because they have not been bored out would not exempt you. That's why everyone makes their dummy spare bren barrels out of wood & there are plenty of traders selling them.

The MVT (Miliary Vehicle Trust) quailfys as a re-enactment group, if you are not a member I suggest you check out their website at www.mvt.org for membership details.

No they do not.. they are a Military Vehicle Club & their insurance does not cover reenactment.. read Preston's Autumn report http://www.mvt.org.uk/news.htm &

http://www.mvt.org.uk/insurance.htm PLI for reenacment is one of the criteria for a legal defense (exemption) if you are in breach of the VCR Act. http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?3586-VCR-Act-2006-Guidance

Edited by Marmite!!

• 3 weeks later...
If they are replicas of original barrels you could get done for manufacturing component parts.. just because they have not been bored out would not exempt you. That's why everyone makes their dummy spare bren barrels out of wood & there are plenty of traders selling them.

Not wishing to split hairs or anything, but to be done for manufacturing parts would the materials not have to match the original specified for the original part? Re the bren barrel ive seen turned steel (solid), cast ally, wood (as mentioned), resin cast with a metal bar in it, also rubber type of stuff. All except the rubber one used original carry handle assy.

Thier are still issues with the above as a replica is being created.

Regards

Tim

Its not me who is manufacturing the replica parts, its a profesional engineering company in the US, Surely no diffrent to importing a blank firer or water pistol. I'm going to email the DTI for their advice, as far I see it, there shouldn't be a problem as I am importing a imitation part, which for the sake of the VCR act, will be yellow. You can legaly own in the UK a barrel blank as it is just that, a blank, only when the chamber is reamed does it become a component part. I'm quite familiar with UK firearms law, just not the import or VCR side of things.

I'll see what the DTI come back with.

Just make sure you talk to the right people, Chris. I chanelled my enquiry through DTI (as recommended in the official advice on imports) and was advised that I could bring in replica USAAF bombs from the USA - they even gave me the relevant Commodity Code of "XXXXX - Other items made of plastic" for the sender to declare on the documentation.

The reality is of course that - if inspected - my consignment would be seized by HM Customs and destroyed. Took me the best part of 3 days on the phone (well it felt like that!!!!) to get confirmation of this. You need to seek clarification from HM Customs (not as easy as it sounds), as it is their staff who will enforce the law. Impossible to speak direct to firearms officers who take the decisions.

Edited by N.O.S.