A new Saracen Owner

Mettlen

Hi All,

I'm an ex-mod civilian who completed a 4 year aeronautical apprenticeship at RAF St Athan, subsequently working on Tornado aircraft. I've worked on a number of forces projects over the years including submarines and the red arrows. Flying is my first love but I've also always liked military armour. I had been looking for a Saracen or Saladin for a while. As many of you have noted a Saracen recently came up on ebay which I'm now the owner.

It is MKII Saracen and is now located in St Albans. My aim is to restore it in time for next years War and Peace show. I would really like to make contact with others in the locality who have a saracen that is up and running and/or under restoration and gain the benefit of their experience.

I look forward to making contact with as many like minded people as possible!

Many Thanks

Hi All,

I'm an ex-mod civilian who completed a 4 year aeronautical apprenticeship at RAF St Athan, subsequently working on Tornado aircraft. I've worked on a number of forces projects over the years including submarines and the red arrows. Flying is my first love but I've also always liked military armour. I had been looking for a Saracen or Saladin for a while. As many of you have noted a Saracen recently came up on ebay which I'm now the owner.

It is MKII Saracen and is now located in St Albans. My aim is to restore it in time for next years War and Peace show. I would really like to make contact with others in the locality who have a saracen that is up and running and/or under restoration and gain the benefit of their experience.

I look forward to making contact with as many like minded people as possible!

Many Thanks

Hi Mettlen,

Welcome to this forum, from a fellow Saracen owner. Which Saracen on ebay was it?

Being an aircraft mech, you will be used to working in cramped spaces and this experience will come in handy!

Here are a lot of Saracen owners on the forum and boffins with libraries of knowledge. You probably have been using the search facility on the forum, you will be surprised at what it turns up.

Good luck and may you have a lot of fun with it.

Welcome Mettlen, post some pictures of your saracen as soon as you can please, I know Montie, from South Africa will be pleased, as he's compiling a list of all those left, in private ownership/museums etc. Good to have you with us, no doubt we will be comparing notes in due course.:-D

Regards

Matt

Hi All,

Thanks for the warm welcome and the pointers. A little more about the Saracen I've bought is 96 BA 69. I found the record card on this forum, posted by Richard Farrant. I understand it was bought by a person who won the lottery and who has just gone bankrupt and needed to sell all their assets. Their loss, my gain! It seems that it was kept by the sea because it is covered in sand and there is quite a lot of surface corrosion!!!! I'm guessing it hasn't been run for a while and it doesn't look like it has been looked after particularly well. However, it appears to be complete and I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into it!!

I have so many questions I don't know where to start:cool2: but as requested please see attached photo.

Is there anyone in the South of England or South Wales who has a running Saracen I could come and have a look at?

Many Thanks

DSC03190.jpg

Hi All,

Thanks for the warm welcome and the pointers. A little more about the Saracen I've bought is 96 BA 69. I found the record card on this forum, posted by Richard Farrant. I understand it was bought by a person who won the lottery and who has just gone bankrupt and needed to sell all their assets. Their loss, my gain! It seems that it was kept by the sea because it is covered in sand and there is quite a lot of surface corrosion!!!! I'm guessing it hasn't been run for a while and it doesn't look like it has been looked after particularly well. However, it appears to be complete and I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into it!!

I have so many questions I don't know where to start:cool2: but as requested please see attached photo.

Hi Mettlen,

I am sending you a PM.

Richard

Hi,

I have a running Saracen Mk 1 APC and a Saracen Mk 5 ambulance you are welcome to look over and maybe drive but they are in the Midlands so maybe a bit far for you to travel? Any help I can be, you only have to ask.

Welcome to forum as well!!

Hi John,

That would be great, I'll send you a private message, Thanks

awww no mate, I was just having some fun with the lads as there are alot of sad can owners and those of us (me included :cry:,) that would like one! Though something may be on the horizon.

Perhaps if we all got together on the net.....bit far to travel from Tasmania :nut:, we could put something together....

What do you think lads???

Cheers

Troy

Hi Mettlen,

My saracen is in the South of England, at Chandlers Ford, a mere stones-throw from Southampton. It is running, and I'm about to do some repairs to it very soon, just as soon as I can track down the bits to change, or repair a leaky fluid-flywheel..... once again you are more than welcome to come round and cast yer peepers over things....:-D, just give me a shout when yer about....:-\