Otterburn range wrecks

steveo578

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fv1609

As a result he can only function wearing a respirator, funny that I didn't think respirators could eliminate carbon monoxide.

Hi Clive,

It's a common belief -most people think CO is the aromatic smell from exhausts -even the smell of burning natural gas -which of course a gas mask will elliminate, as would masks designed with a charcoal filter system which may also fix CO2, but there is no way it can fix CO -I suppose if the contaminated air was forced though a filter filled with blood it might work:nut:. There was an occurance where I live some years ago when a member of the TA grabed his resperator from his car and rushed into a burning house to rescue a mother and child - hailed rightly as a hero the media waxed lyrical about how his service resperator had supplied him with sufficient air supply to save the occupants- which leads to the puzzle does a service resperator have an air supply- was his local TA so behind the times they had Davis escape equipment and why was he driving around with his kit in the car anyway:???.

Steve

Edited by steveo578

hi steve

good to see the old petrol mk 1's getting bombed, best place for them, if anyone wonders why they have an engine access panel on the left side it's there to let you get at the plugs and points which you'll be doing a lot if you ever buy a mk 1. i can't tell you how many hours i spent at batus getting them on the move again

eddy

eddy8men

good to see the old petrol mk 1's getting bombed, best place for them.......i can't tell you how many hours i spent at batus getting them on the move again

Now now eddy they are part of our heritage- :D Didn't know you were at Batus -if I'd got out there I would have imediatelly applied for asylum:D

Some Ferrets

00EC68

00DA59 there is another photo earlier in this thread of this vehicle from the right hand side.

2 photos of 01EA87

Steve

00EC68.jpg

01EA87.jpg

01EA87 2.jpg

00DA59 2.jpg

I'm pretty sure there is (was) a Ferret on STANTA which had been used as an aircraft target, last seen about 10 years ago, but I didn't know they used it as a live-fire range for air.

I was there supervising on a Cadet exercise and when I bimbled over to get a closer look, it have been well and truly penetrated by what looked like CRV-7 type darts. I wish I had taken a photo now.

Anyone know any more?

• 2 weeks later...
Yet more great stolly pictures, they seem to be dotted all over the area. :D

I have a picture of that prototype somewhere, i will look for it this weekend, it was a forward control cab layout, 6 wheel drive.

Shaun

That's the one, if anyone can dig up some photos or specs I'd be interested to see them; it's so long ago now I can remember nothing about it. Do I remember right in thinking that it had a rather square, functional cab in the style of Unipower, Stewart and Stevenson or Oshkosh?

Edited by Sean N

• 3 weeks later...
That's the one, if anyone can dig up some photos or specs I'd be interested to see them; it's so long ago now I can remember nothing about it. Do I remember right in thinking that it had a rather square, functional cab in the style of Unipower, Stewart and Stevenson or Oshkosh?

Here is a poor picture of the vehicle in question. It was a DERA concept (later QinetiQ), known as the 6x6 Combat Support Vehicle. It had hybrid electric transmission, with six independant electric motors driving the wheels.

DERA.jpg

Here is a poor picture of the vehicle in question. It was a DERA concept (later QinetiQ), known as the 6x6 Combat Support Vehicle. It had hybrid electric transmission, with six independant electric motors driving the wheels.

there was a lot of interest in these types of solutions using capacitors instead of batteries to manage the power when in steath mode, ie silent running and a diesel engine to generate electricity when not. Not a lot came of it as the power requirements are still too great and the the generation capacity still difficult. Although once they have it sorted with in wheel motors and super efficient battery/capacitor technology and super efficient diesel generators then i think we will eventually see these vehicles in the market place, its really sensible,

my idea of a great toy...take a stalwart remove the bevel boxes and replace with electric motors and bobs your uncle a very simple machine, you would have ample space to fit a 200 kw generator, plus a massive bank of batteries. you could charge the batteries to give it say 50 plus miles of range on batteries alone, and with the generator running another say 200 miles, more than a standard stalwart would do and not bad at all for a load carrier like the stolly, would be more reliable than the B81...a dream machine for me.

Fit say 100hp motors to each station, that means with four wheels in contact you always have 400 bhp, and a total of 600 hp when all six working, no more windup, so okay on road, if one engine fails you got 5 more to run it etc..perfect...would love to do this as an engineering task...love electric power...when running on the road you would drive only two engines at the rear for maximum efficiency and only use the other engines when more power needed ie up hills etc...(electric motors are most efficient at maximum load of course)

okay am out of cloud cuckoo land and back into the real world, I will get me a diesel stolly one day though and maybe just maybe an electric one....

• 1 month later...

I changed computers a few days after the last time I uploaded photos and for some reason the new computer won't allow me to upload- so t's back to the old one (700mhz cpu for those with a computer bent) for one last hurrar.

Ferret 1 at ATGW1 mobile target range Wilkwood AT range Redesdale Impact Area

Ferret near Ridless CQB

robnob34

has anyone got any map refs for any ferrets still on the range would love to go for a hike and find one.

Most of the Ferrets are(were these photos were taken in 2000 and I have not been on OTA since late 2002) on the West side of the Ridesdale impact area in the vicinity of Thirl moor Woolbist Law to the south of Dearbush hill starting NT812085 and heading North. As Andy says it is an active range and therefore visits must be co-ordinated with the Range Officer OTA as I said I am really out of touch with OTA these days and I don't know who is current RO. I suppose I really should make an effort to go there and see what has changed-gone or stayed the same.

ex IFOR 432 are stripped down before placement at ATGW2 hard standing.

Another view of one of the M47 near hindberry Crags ATGW2

Can't remember if I posted this nice pic of Red Cavalier after recovery

So that's it for the monent anyway depending on what I find when going through my negatives when I get a half decent negative reader -New computer quad cored 3.5Ghz awaits my attention so we'll see if behaves.

Last pic a final drive off a Centurion Mk1-5 that was cleared from Roman Road HESH range

Steve

432 l.jpg

centurion final drive.jpg

ferret 1.jpg

m47 b.jpg

red cavalier 4.jpg

ferret.jpg

Edited by steveo578

Known as the HEDV (Hybrid Electric Demonstrator Vehicle) IIRC. Six hub-mounted motors with a two-speed epicyclic gearbox in each hub, two 80kW generators and two 80kW Zebra batteries. There's a video here: http://www.qinetiq.com/home/defence/defence_solutions/landjo/HED/HED_demo_movie.html

Andy

Known as the HEDV (Hybrid Electric Demonstrator Vehicle) IIRC. Six hub-mounted motors with a two-speed epicyclic gearbox in each hub, two 80kW generators and two 80kW Zebra batteries.

Andy

On investigation it seems that we've made two of these - a green one which has conventional propulsion and the HEDV which is (currently) white.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This selection of aircraft debris on OTA is not a target but is the unfortunate remains of RNAF Starfighter D-8337 flown by Lt Martin Sasbrink-Harkema which crashed 3 mile west of Alwinton in the lea of Crigdon Hill in March 1983 during the Mallet Blow 1983 excercise. Lt Sasbrink-Harkema was killed he was 26 years old.

Most if not all of the aircraft is still there and several articles have been written about the crash -including one that states that the remains of the RNAF Lt. was found in the wreckage- which is strange as according to witnesses the unfortunate pilot ejected at very low altitude which tends to be supported by this photo of the canopy which shows the effect of the 1st stage of ejection -blown out perspex. The pilot was taken to hospital in Newcastle and pronounced DOA -the body was then under the 1958 NATO Act returned to the RNAF and repatriated.

You don't really worry too much about the destruction of range wrecks when you come across this sort of thing:-(. RIP Lt Sasbrink-Harkema your plane is still where you left it.

Just to update the news on the Starfighter, the wreckage was cleared from the range last year by the RNLAF (Dutch Air Force). Seeing as it had been there since 1983, it seemed a bit strange.

I did have the opportunity to visit the site a couple of years back while the Range was closed, and it was strange to walk over the brow of the hill and see a crashed plane in exactly the same place it had been for high on 30 years. As Steve says most of the plane was still visible, although the state of the large pieces show the effects of a low-level high speed crash.

Simon

It makes me wince also! :shocked: Worse than the dentist!

I've got them on the register. Steve, have you anymore?

Cheers

Matt

have you seen my batus pics in the tracked section theres 2 ferrets in there one on the prarie with number plate and one gateguard no number not seen any more out there as yet TACK

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

There used to be a Russian tank outside of the grain plant at Belford. It came off the low loader when they were delivering it. There is a Bedford RL recovery truck in a scrapyard at Wooler. It is not there now.

Edited by john1950
update

• 2 years later...