• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bazz

I concur with the idea of it being a CharlieG

Thanks, it's not always the easy to ID range littler from odd angles:D

XM411 Jet Provost T3 ex Halton 8434M arrived late 1994

XM411 & XN467 a JP T4 ex Halton 8559M,

XM458 ex Scampton was on the range for sometime (On the bluff in the far background at the exreme right/upper-centre of the picture is the ETT Comet)

Unlike the late arrivals which lasted only 2 years or so XM467 at scrapyard area during the

airfield clearance

So you consider the wiring in your treasured MV is complex try this- detail photo of one of the EE Lightnings. For aircraft fans the Lightnings were F3s XP694 and XP702.

XF386 Hunter F6A awaiting scrapping early 1994

Steve

JP4 1.jpg

JP4 2.jpg

h hunter 2.jpg

jp4 5.jpg

ee lightning 2.jpg

JP4 4.jpg

Edited by steveo578

"guarding" the south east end of the dummy airfield a group of 4 Bofors L/70 (2 shown) with a nice sheep trap in the fore-ground

Bofors 40mm L/70

Not part of the A/A battery this L/70 with barrel extension is on the riddles road

At the scrapping point

At least 1 possibly 2 were saved.

Steve

bofor l-70 barrel extension.jpg

bofors L70.jpg

bofor l70.jpg

bofors L70 3.jpg

bofors l70 4.jpg

Edited by steveo578

eddy8men

i often wonder what it would take to get the contract for scrap removal from the training area's.

Well some-one has to get the contract:-D

Ferret 00EC40 on arrival at OTA in 1994 -its turret for some unknown reason was left on the edge of the car park at ATGW3 Hindberry Crags and remained there for about 4 years, while a pair of 10 metre tall concrete pillars were built and then demolished nearbye -some form of hush target no doubt.

Ferret 00EC40 without its turret rolled around the target park near ATGW2 for about 4 years and then went to the scrap collection point at Cocklaw Green where it seems to have been escaped the clutches of the scrapman as the thing is noted elsewhere as under restoration.

Another turretless ferret -this time having lost its turret by gun-mortar fire

Something to keep Bob Grundy happy - a Saracen filled with concrete supports a plate target Small Burn -ATGW2 target area.

The remains of a saracen and a Centurion Mk3-5 on Roman Road A/T HESH.

saracen.jpg

ferret.jpg

Saracen and Centurion scrap.jpg

ferret b.jpg

00EC40 1.jpg

Edited by steveo578

Yes there is a danger some-one might find a use for the drivers visor:D

Remains of several Westland Scouts- if they were actually placed on the range as opposed to being left near the workshops in Otterburn Camp they finally turned up firstly on ATGW2 car park (regularly used as a holding area for targets both in and out) Note 00EC40 in the background

and finally at the Cocklaw Green disposal area.

Seen here with Ferret OOEC40, I'm aware that a small aviation museum was interested in these airframes but whether anyone actually recovered them I don't know.

Steve

scouts.jpg

scout and ferret.jpg

scouts 2.jpg

Sorry - I can't remember any of the Pigs having any markings -was there some dark reason to eliminate them -I tended to note down any markings if possible. I'll put the original photo of the pigs and 432 under magnification and see if it is anything other than bird poo.

Steve

Yes please Steve. It looks like the spacing & length of an ERM, that position above the radiator seemed to be where a 'MS' marking was put rather than the in-service ERM on the front wing. I'm just trying to pin down the ultimate fates of all Humbers.

fv1609

I'm just trying to pin down the ultimate fates of all Humbers.

sorry to disapoint -I pulled the pic out and put it under the 'scope and it is a white paint job which reaches down the hood from the visors to the radiator- as this vehicle is on the edge of the main range -RAF range and is nose on to the general battle run for aircraft the paint is possibly (with the pink on the 432 too) a right marker/survey target. OTA were never that good a paint jobs.

Steve

Long time since they went out oneof the Spartans was relativley intact as late as 2001 when the FAM broke out -but they probably don't make good targets. Considering what ATGW do to steel a nice burning alluminum target is just what will make range control happy.

Close up of the Ridlees Road 40mm L/70 with the extension piece by 2000 it was the only artillery piece on OTA. Long before there were some pieces in a "gun Line" just south of the wood (several broken twigs is a more correct description) at Dykemans edge the remains of a 25pdr traverser base, an cruciform arm from a Bofors L/60 and possibly part of a mobile 3.7in A/A. was all that remained.

A wrecked comand and control unit on Brown Law simulating the mobile Thunderbird missile battery -although the actual missiles looked anything but convincing.

Four pics of mobile thunderbird launchers (converted L70 bases) with triple dummy missiles -I've no idea what they represent -anyone got an idea -hello is anyone out there - speak to me.

Steve

bofors l70 close up.jpg

thunderbird launcher b.jpg

thunderbird launcher c.jpg

thunderbird launcher a.jpg

tunderbird command centre.jpg

thunderbird launcher.jpg

Edited by steveo578
additional t/bird launcher photo

Yes Eddy the target arangments are strange -it has been said the L/70 with the barrel extension was an attempt at a faux Soviet 57mm S60 gun (personaly I think it is a left flank survey target for aircaft on the battle run for the "airfield site").

The failure to set up the Chieftain turrets as realistic battle target shows a halfhearted attitude to training -not helped by painting markers to allow the target to be picked up.

Anyway more Pigs

Heely Dod BSA

Good side of the Hopehead farm Prac A/T target

Rear view of the other Heely Dod Pig shown in previous post #83

Steve

pig a.jpg

pig3.jpg

pig 1.jpg

img101a.jpg

Couple of Centurion ARV Mk2. 02ZR36 stood for five years on the road at the edge of Bushmans Crag - well away from targeting (though it didn't stop at least one gunner from having a pop at it- the shell failed to go off and the rabbits found it a good starting point for a tunnel). The motor and fuel tank were removed and it luck ran out in 2001 when it was finally re-alocated to another range.

89BA46 was positioned just north of the Small burn between ATGW2 and 3.

Steve

02ZR36.jpg

89BA46.jpg

Bob Grundy

and all the petrol had to be tipped out of the tank ......

yes the considered alternative was to pour it into my car fuel tank-the only vehicle that ran on petrol and I really did not fancy taking a risk with 3 year old (at least) petrol.

Some odds and ends.

what may be the pannier door from a Churchill Mk7-8 I can't think of anything else appropriate -doesn't look right for an early Cent.

The 25pounder base a Dykemans Edge

CRVT hull detail showing damage near final drive mounting.

3 photos of various munitions during a tidy up on the Ridlees Road- about 1/2km away there were a pair of probably live 125kg bombs within 2metres of each other, close enough to take out the Ridlees Road.

Steve

munitions c.jpg

munition a.jpg

CVRT hull showing damage.jpg

img042d.jpg

churchill door.jpg

munition b.jpg

CRVT hull detail showing damage near final drive mounting.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37362[/ATTACH]

It's common practice for the front towing eyes to be removed from scrap hulls, they go back into stores as spares as far as I know. This looks like someone tried to remove them using a plasma cutter. All the ones I've seen have been cut off using a grinder.

Chris