Otterburn range wrecks

steveo578

Otterburn Comet Evasive Target Tank.

This concrete filled tank was formerly a 3RTR tank called Cheetah, the remains of the additional armour along the air intakes for the motor are visible in this photo.

Additional armour on drivers doors and turret ring.

Detail of turret ring armour

Shortened barrel and closed off besa mount

Additional armour around the cupola.

Details of the drivers and co drivers hatches additional armour

Steve

comet ETT.jpg

Comet ETT 3.jpg

Comet ETT 2.jpg

Comet ETT detail 1.jpg

comet ETT detail 3.jpg

comet ETT detail 2.jpg

Comet ETT detail 4.jpg

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have noticed on this, and other old range AFVs, the welds are showing up against the rest of the 'structures'. Our 439 is showing signs of this, too. Have British AFVs been welded using stainless filler rods, for 70 odd years? I'm intrigued!

Nickel chrome rods were used for welding armoured vehicle hulls since the beginning of WW2. First use was by Guy on an armoured car.

ChasSomT.

Have British AFVs been welded using stainless filler rods, for 70 odd years? I'm intrigued!

According to the manufacturing diagrams it was refered to as austenitic welds -if you think about it there isn't really any option than using a form of stainless steel medium on armoured plate- standard M/S rods just wouldn't be effective.

Steve

Standard Comets on OTA, the turret remains of the Comet previously on ATWG 1 has already been shown.

The scraped up remains of the 2 Roman Road Comets await disposal.

Windy haus/Quickencote HESH concrete filled comet target

Rear of the Comet with blanked off ehaust outlets- something that is new to me:nut: so possilby an early model or some other experimental model as it is contemporary with the Comres Comet

Turret during clearance of the targets on this range. note the impact marks of full charge HESH from wombats.

Comet on Otterburn impact area

Same tank on its bad side

Steve

Comet OTA.jpg

comet otterburn impact zone.jpg

Comet windy hause range.jpg

Comet turret.jpg

comet ex roman rd hesh range 9.jpg

comet ex roman rd hesh range 2.jpg

comet ex roman rd hesh range 8.jpg

Comet windy haus being scrapped.jpg

AS of 2003 the last time I was at OTA there were only 2 Comets still on the range these were the ETT tank at Redesdale range abd the standard Comet at Otterburn Impact Area. chances are they are both there-the ETT in particular is almost impossible to recover unless blown up.

Of the others Roman Road wrecks were partially removed in the 1980s when the range bacame redundant with the withdrawal of Wombat/ConBat To an extnet the same applied to Quickencote/Windy Haus range which was cleared of its Comets in 1995.

The Comres Comet as it never was on Otterburn, (perhaps the turret was retained for future trials) the hull was placed at Windy Haus in the late 1970s at a time when concrete filling of targets was the general rule

The heavily shot up hull section

Rear section during clearance

Front section during clearance in 1995

Steve

19ZR17.jpg

comres_001.jpg

Comres comet 1.jpg

Comres comet 2.jpg

Edited by steveo578

A bunch of friday night specials

unidentifiable junk on the PL-AT range adjacent to Davyshiel BSA. Near the area where the A11 and Churchill mk3 AVRE that were restored by Bob Grundy for Bovington were found. I initially thought it was something ex RUC -but it isn't, any ideas?:???

Dummy SA6 back in 2000 this was the only survivor of a number of these dummys. The bodies were made of the twin wall polycarbonate used to cover conservatory roofs, they were well anchored with huge lengths of scaffold poles driven deep into the ground. Main range south west of witch crags

A dead truck main range west of witch crags

One of several plate targets made from warship belt armour this one is at the Roman Road A/T Hesh site

This plate target was on the PL-AT range adjacent to Davyshiel BSA. note the set screw fixings and the tongue and groove edge fixings.

sa 6 mock up.jpg

truck.jpg

plate target 2.jpg

img001.jpg

plate target.jpg

Edited by steveo578

A dead truck main range west of witch crags

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36530[/ATTACH]

That is one of the prototype 4x4 Bedfords to replace the RL, know as R Mk2 ( later to develope into the MK). Note there is no cupola and body is same as RL. These date from around 1962. Some were tried with coil spring suspension.

Edited by Richard Farrant

Richard Farrant

That is one of the prototype 4x4 Bedfords to replace the RL,

Thanks for that Richard, I struggle with truck ID. there was a number of experimental vehicles on OTA -the result of one of the periodic clearouts from FVRDE or similar.

Forgot to mention in the post that the grey object behind the truck in the far distance (upper left in photo) is the Bailey Bridge taget -there were several types of tactical bridges on OTA but all but this one had been flatened and recovered for scrap.

Edited by steveo578
addition

fv1609

Isn't that part of a Commer, possibly 3599 XI

Hi clive,

I don't think so -at the time I though prototype armoured Land Rover, took the photograph and moved on (lots of ground to cover that day). When I reviewed the pic it is apparent that the shape is incorrect for it or the Commers the visor slit are not in the upper section. It has rivets showing. Both the grey Commer and the other -3599XI were still in place at ATGW 3 -Hindberry Crags when this photo was taken. The wreckage was at the PL AT Practice range which is North of Hopehead farm very close to Otterburn Camp. The only Commer that comes close -visor shape and pitch of rivet holes in the wreckage behind would be the prototype WZ 4367 but then that's probably just wishful thinking.

Of the other RUCs types the FV3911 doesn't fit either -visor slits in the lower section and rivets for the quadrants on the edge rather than the front. The visor slits are not the correct for either the prototype or production Land Rovers -my guess it is something from an eariler generation -possible an extemporised vehicle from WW2.

As an aside in the mid 1990s David Dunne asked me to provide accurate measurements of the visors on the Commers to see if they were compatable with FV3911 as some-one had a need for visors -would this be you?

The Commer and the Pigs on OTA will be posted in due course.

Steve

Edited by steveo578
spelling

I've already posted various photos of the two Grizzlies that were on OTA from 1985 to 2002 couple of other Grizzly 52 in 1991

Inside the turret of Grizzly 76 in 2002

The ruin of a Ram Kangaroo on the Otterburn Impact area, from the level of damage it would

seem to have been used as a vessel for ATO to blow things up.

floor plate were supported on the right side to act as a target possibly from Tod Law

otterburn ram.jpg

Ram OTA.jpg

Grizzly-#76 gun.jpg

Grizzly 52.jpg

ram OTA 2.jpg

Edited by steveo578

That is one of the prototype 4x4 Bedfords to replace the RL, know as R Mk2 ( later to develope into the MK). Note there is no cupola and body is same as RL. These date from around 1962. Some were tried with coil spring suspension.

By 1966 if not earlier these were being called RKs by Bedford and the MoD. It's a shame no apparent historic value was attached to many of these prototypes, not only Bedfords - as an R type fan it's sad to see this in this state rather than preserved.

As an aside in the mid 1990s David Dunne asked me to provide accurate measurements of the visors on the Commers to see if they were compatable with FV3911 as some-one had a need for visors -would this be you?

Steve it was indeed! I was wondering if you were the same Steve & in fact I still do have your drawing. As a result I concluded although the slit usage was similar it was different in detail from the RUC Humbers.

What complicates things further that the most photographed RUC Humber was 3071 EZ as it was usually in the very front line of a confrontation. The problem with that one was it was FV1611 modified to RUC requirements. The visors differ slightly as the FV1611 windscreen arrangement is different with the wiper mounted on the body of the Humber itself. Whereas the other 9 Humbers being FV1609 have the wiper & motor fitted into the windscreen itself allowing a slightly smaller visor.

As a result of this it allowed 3071 EZ to have thick mesh (with gap for slit) to be mounted directly in front of the glass as in the off position the wiper is parked well out of reach from the visor. Because of this extra protection I assume it was often chosen as the front line Humber.

The others having the wiper attached to the windscreen itself never seem to have had this thick mesh protection as not be adequate room with the wiper always in the way?

By 1966 if not earlier these were being called RKs by Bedford and the MoD. It's a shame no apparent historic value was attached to many of these prototypes, not only Bedfords - as an R type fan it's sad to see this in this state rather than preserved.

Sean,

You have just reminded me that I have a provisional army manual for a RK, must have been issued for user trials I assume.

eddy8men

..... is this the ruc wagon you mentioned earlier ?

Hi eddy

Yes that's 3599 XI the Otterburn Commer which had a 39brigade sign on its front quarter. If you looked over the edge of the firing point behind the Commer you would have seen the Grizzlies in the valley.

Steve

hi clive,that's right, the interior is white. eddy

Eddy that fits in with the Humbers which were white inside as well. I have some B&W Humber pics & one might assume it was the normal aluminium. But the guy who took the pics in 1969 was a model maker, complete with notebook & wrote down "interior white". This is very useful evidence when people tell me mine is the wrong colour inside!