HGV

Chappers

Question

Hi guy's I'd like to clear one thing up about driving license's and up to what weight limit your allowed to drive. My license states 7.5 tons but I've been told I can drive a Diamond T with a Rogers trailer hooked up and a Tank on the back of that an all up weight of over 40 tons or more depending on which Tank :schocked:. All this providing the tractor unit was built prior to 1960 .

Is this the case or have I got it wrong???

Regards

Steve

3 answers to this question

Steve,

Matt is correct. You can only tow an unladen trailer. However DVLA are reluctant to define 'unladen'. They quote Construction and Use reg's but leave it up to you to interpret them.

According to C&U, a load appears to be something which can be removed from the trailer and is not directly related to the use of the trailer.

I recently heard of someone who had a Scammell Pioneer (R100?) tank transporter with an OT810 welded to the trailer. This was therefore part of the trailer and didn't count as 'load'. This is within the wording of the law if not the spirit. Sadly the only way to prove any of this is by a test case.

- Mike