My new toy, a '41 Willys Slat Grill

G506

Any chance of some original numbers under the paint??

Hi Jack

The previous owner had a look but didnt find anything, I will have a go as well. If I do find original markings I will replicate them during the restoration, if I dont I will still be able to track it down to a very close USA number, as it has engine, chassis and body numbers.

Do you have its serial number? or DOD

Hi Nick, serial is in the 104 range, with mid December '41 as it's Date Of Delivery. Fortunately all three original data plates are still there

Edited by G506

I believe the wheels are M38 but I'm not sure, The previous owner put new wheel rims and tyres on her not long after purchasing it, I think because the original tyres were totally ruined.

I will be looking for the correct one piece rims, but the tyres should do ok!

The wheels with the slots are indeed M38. Original 1-piece Kelsey-Hayes rims are very hard to find and very expensive, but I believe MD Juan makes repro's (quality unknown to me) and standard M201 Hotchkiss rims are similar (but not identical) to the original rims and might be a good affordable replacement for the time being. What is the D.o.D.?

Greetz :-)

David

(slatgrill II0247, january 8, 1942)

Hi David,

from what I understand, the most recent single piece repro rims are pretty good, these will be what I will go for. I did entertain the idea of tracking down originals, but decided brand new may be better, with less chance of warping, worn stud holes, etc.

You are right that Hotchkiss rims are similar, but I want to get her 100% accurate if possible.

Dont suppose anyone has a bulkhead filterette (with hinged door) spare? Slat grill owners - stop laughing !

Edited by G506

Oh, and a few people I need to say thank you to for their help so far;

Dan Major, Barry (RMS on this forum), Jeff Hain Matson, Paul C, Jaap Rietveld, Cliff Harris

and not forgetting Mrs G506 for letting me have more rusty clutter..................

Forgot to mention Mick Spencer and Dave Tomasowski, sorry fellas!

Yes, but at least the rusty tat on top at the moment is worth twice the cost of the trailer and will keep going up !!!![/quote

yeah scrap price is on the up again:nut::rotfl:

Cheeky

This is my first post on the forum.

Hopefully you will be able to get the chevvy finished soon, so that I can drive what I already think of as MY jeep (only joking!).

Would be nice to get some of those parts out of the house/shed and into the vehicles though ...............

This is my first post on the forum.

Hopefully you will be able to get the chevvy finished soon, so that I can drive what I already think of as MY jeep (only joking!).

Would be nice to get some of those parts out of the house/shed and into the vehicles though ...............

Look busy, its the missus........

guess thats me in trouble!

he told me the Jeep was for you:D (saves the embarrassment of having to drive a land rover!)

just dont hold your breath on driving the jeep:D

Ouch :pfrt: