Clark CA-1 Bulldozer

P Marriott

Hi all

Having seen a fairly complete and runing CA-1 on, yes you have guessed it, eBay I bought it!!! Only problem is it is in New York area at the moment, so am looking into shipping it over. Any recomendations on shipping agents gratefully receieved.

The bulldozer is supposedly complete and runing, it is however missing the seat, side ballast boxes and the rear mounted winch. I know someone in the UK recently completed a restoration of one with one for spares as there was a write up in MMI. The only problem is I seemed to have mislaid that copy! Could anyone tell me which month I need to order as I would like to have a copy and also contact the owner to see whether any of the parts that I need are available.

Hopefully I can get it buy Christmas and get it restored in 101st AB markings as per Neil Stevens picture of one being loaded at Ramsbury, home of 437th, for D-day.

Anyway any other info gratefully receieved.

Oh yes also bought a post war Clark for the engine!

Regards

Paul

hi paul

looks like a little cracker, it's good to see someone else taking the plunge state side, there's an awful lot of gear over there at what i would consider a reasonable price.

remember if the wife complains tell her you're expecting another heavy winter and want to be prepared early for the snow fall.

all the best

eddy

• 2 months later...

So it would seem I am not the only one buying a CA-1 on eBay!!!

Apparently a collector in the UK has just purchased this CA-1 and box scrapper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180592708931&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Does anyone on here know who that might be, as it would be good to measure up for a few bits

• 1 month later...

Well the bulldozer arrived in the UK last week and cleared customs on Friday. Clive and myself set of for Southampton on Wednesday with the trailer to collect the dozer. A part from the weather being poor we made good time and arrived at dock gate 4. We headed for the W&W offices to have the paperwork checked, headed to another office to be told it was on the quayside and we could go and load it!!

We thought we would be clever and start it ready to drive it on to the trailer, you guessed it flat battery, so out comes the spare and after a bit of fiddling with the choke it did fire up and run and even moved. Just as we were getting ready to load a friendly forklift driver said he would lift it on for us, job done. Loaded and within forty minutes heading back to Suffolk.

I have to say that having been worried about imporrting a vehicle my agent ensured everything was inplace and that there where no problems, and the cost was as quoted at the beginning!!

On Thursday Clive and myslef met up at Howards farm ready for unloading. We fired it up and drove it off the trailer, apart form the crunching of gears and excessive amounts of force on the tillers to steer it did exactly what the guy selling it said it did. Not many honest people out there! After playing with the new toy, Howard and I decided to investigate the crunching of gears and the forward/ reverse clutch which did not totally disengage.

We first drained the forward/reverse clutch housing of oil, sludge and water, rinsed it throughly and adjustted the clutch's as per the manual. Refilled with oil and guess what problem solved!! We were on a high now so continued to drain/rinse and refill all oil's.

It should have a Waukesha FC engine, but as I suspectted it has been re-engined with a Continental FS145 which as it runs well will left in, unless I find a Waukesha engine. It does however need a new ring gear due to a flat spot, so if anyone has a lead on one please PM me. Also it would be good to replace the exhaust/inlet manifold and carb with an updraft version rather than the currently installed down draft one.

I will try and post pictures and video in the next couple of days.

Thanks to Clive and Howard for all there help so far

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello Paul

Do you have any spare parts for a Clarkair Dozer please?

Well the bulldozer arrived in the UK last week and cleared customs on Friday. Clive and myself set of for Southampton on Wednesday with the trailer to collect the dozer. A part from the weather being poor we made good time and arrived at dock gate 4. We headed for the W&W offices to have the paperwork checked, headed to another office to be told it was on the quayside and we could go and load it!!

We thought we would be clever and start it ready to drive it on to the trailer, you guessed it flat battery, so out comes the spare and after a bit of fiddling with the choke it did fire up and run and even moved. Just as we were getting ready to load a friendly forklift driver said he would lift it on for us, job done. Loaded and within forty minutes heading back to Suffolk.

I have to say that having been worried about imporrting a vehicle my agent ensured everything was inplace and that there where no problems, and the cost was as quoted at the beginning!!

On Thursday Clive and myslef met up at Howards farm ready for unloading. We fired it up and drove it off the trailer, apart form the crunching of gears and excessive amounts of force on the tillers to steer it did exactly what the guy selling it said it did. Not many honest people out there! After playing with the new toy, Howard and I decided to investigate the crunching of gears and the forward/ reverse clutch which did not totally disengage.

We first drained the forward/reverse clutch housing of oil, sludge and water, rinsed it throughly and adjustted the clutch's as per the manual. Refilled with oil and guess what problem solved!! We were on a high now so continued to drain/rinse and refill all oil's.

It should have a Waukesha FC engine, but as I suspectted it has been re-engined with a Continental FS145 which as it runs well will left in, unless I find a Waukesha engine. It does however need a new ring gear due to a flat spot, so if anyone has a lead on one please PM me. Also it would be good to replace the exhaust/inlet manifold and carb with an updraft version rather than the currently installed down draft one.

I will try and post pictures and video in the next couple of days.

Thanks to Clive and Howard for all there help so far