Coventry Transport Museum

On Tuesday we paid a visit to Coventry Transport Museum. It was the first time that we had been since it was re-vamped a few years ago and I must say I was impressed with it. Entry is free and there is enough to keep you entertained for a good couple of hours.

There were a couple of vehicles of military interest and there is also a set-up of what it was like when Coventry got bombed during WW2.

Below are a couple of picture's that I took (light issues were a problem), including an interesting variation on Hillman Utility.

016.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

013.jpg

002.jpg

008.jpg

Yes looks very similar to that what was on your jeep mate, wonder if there was a company that did these conversions?

I was really impressed with the museum as there is a bit for everyone inside who has a bit of a petrol/diesel head whether it is the two or four wheeled verity!

For example, Ewan McGregor's and Charley Boorman's bikes from Long Way Down.

001.jpg

Nope didn't see that anywhere Clive. I persume that they might sometimes swap around their collection now and again?

I've never been there. But they do have a FV1601 painted maroon, with "City of Coventry" on the sides & registered as JRA 214D.

• 1 year later...
Yes its still there and looks loveley.

Ah glad its still around, thank you Tim that's a high resolution picture. Somewhere I have nice picture of Monty watching a Humber coming off the production line.

Great pics esp the reserve collection. Also makes me a little sad that this is nearly all that remains of my home town's once burgeoning motor industry. Nearly all the big factories are gone now, with the old hillman 'shadow factory' at Ryton being demolished a couple of years back, the original Alvis site is now the Alvis Retail Park (which almost seems to add insult to injury!)..and even the Peugeot plant at Binley is now rapidly turning into a housing estate..

Ho hum at least the town centre has a good selection of pound shops...!

There is also a Norton Big 4 outfit. I was allowed to measure it and take photos so that I could build a replica. Later I was told that the sidecar was a poor example - even so it was very helpful when I built mine. I found the staff were very helpful.

So thats where ferret 00CA42 ended up. Previously seen at the Beverley Army Transport Museum.

I've been looking for that and it turns out to be about 3 miles from where I am sitting at this very moment! lol.