Leyland mobile workshop.

Richard Peskett

There does seem to be a bit of two-way traffic going on with old stuff moving between our two countries at the moment - I am thinking of all of the traction engines recently and in past years just to show and then returning to their respective homes again afterwards. I believe that other stuff is similarly changing hands to help complete restoration projects. We are starting to think ahead about our next project to start on when the Dennis is together and we are urgently looking for a "diff" for our Thornycroft "J". With the advent of shipping containers, it is certainly much easier to send stuff around the world. If you should come across anybody with a Thorny "J" diff, Doug, then do think of us!

Is the NZ Leyland that you speak of yours, and what sort of order is it in?

Tony

Thanks for posting those photos. It really is a very interesting discovery. I am not sure what to suggest that you should do with it. It is very unusual, but ideally you need someone with an RAF Leyland chassis to put it on. Unless of course Leyland made the workshop bodies used on other trucks such as Peerless, Packard, Dennis and Thornycroft (to name just a few).

I guess this one was used as a shepherds hut, hence the window. There are lots of those about so it would be a shame to restore it back to one of those.

Tim

There does seem to be a bit of two-way traffic going on with old stuff moving between our two countries at the moment - I am thinking of all of the traction engines recently and in past years just to show and then returning to their respective homes again afterwards. I believe that other stuff is similarly changing hands to help complete restoration projects. We are starting to think ahead about our next project to start on when the Dennis is together and we are urgently looking for a "diff" for our Thornycroft "J". With the advent of shipping containers, it is certainly much easier to send stuff around the world. If you should come across anybody with a Thorny "J" diff, Doug, then do think of us!

Is the NZ Leyland that you speak of yours, and what sort of order is it in?

Tony

I have PM David regards the Leyland box. Aside from the cost of a container, its the problems then at this end gaining clearance through quarantine procedures. Old timber would require fumigation than to find how much needs replacing. David is going to forward measurements of the box. I suggest to him he retains it as a mobile workshop trailer as used early in the war and tow it behind the steam roller.

As for the Thornycroft diff I too require at least two more for projects here. The concept of using an industrial gear as a replacement interests me.

The RAF Leyland is complete mechanically, however the motor is in poor condition. Another engine has now been found to go in to the chassis.

The chassis numbers put the truck as one supplied to the WD.

My son has the Leyland collection, I have the Thornycrofts. Then there are all the other odd vehicles.

Doug

Thanks for posting those photos. It really is a very interesting discovery. I am not sure what to suggest that you should do with it. It is very unusual, but ideally you need someone with an RAF Leyland chassis to put it on. Unless of course Leyland made the workshop bodies used on other trucks such as Peerless, Packard, Dennis and Thornycroft (to name just a few).

I guess this one was used as a shepherds hut, hence the window. There are lots of those about so it would be a shame to restore it back to one of those.

Tim

I'm reluctant to rule out anything because each time I do, some evidence later appears that contradicts, but I'd think it unlikely that Leyland built workshop bodies for use on other British chassis, though might have done for USA chassis. I can't see any logic in building bodies and then moving them the length of the country to fit on Dennis or Thornycrofts for example when both were quite capable of building what is effectively quite a simple design from the W.D. drawings. I suppose it's possible some USA chassis were imported through Liverpool, which would make them handy for Leyland, but I suspect most were imported directly into France via either Nantes or Rouen.

It's possible some might have been fitted to the wrong chassis at base workshops while mobile workshops were in for renovation, though workshops did little mileage as they remained stationary at the Company base most of the time, except for occassional forays to recover MT and therefore wouldn't have suffered the wear and tear GS lorries did and would likely have been rarities in base workshops for renovation.

The first travelling workshops into France were on trailers drawn by steamers, though these were very quickly abandoned in favour of lorry mounted workshops. They were also used as trailers in support of the W.O. Trials, so to have a restored one drawn by a steamer would be very appropriate, though it would be nice to see it on a lorry chassis.

Further to Roy's thoughts on the mobile workshops I have this picture of a 'towed' generator set with two cylinder Gardner engine at Farnborough 1913, my great uncle is in the picture who later serverd with the RFC.; the general set up would have been similar to a workshop . I agree it would be unlikely that Leyland built bodies for other chassis, the logistics of the day do not work out !. Most chassis builders ( e.g. Thornycroft, Dennis etc.) had considerable body/coachwork facilities anyhow. I have photographs of imported US Peerless chassis at Grove Park without bodies, these may have been destined for the LGOC coachworks at North Road etc.

Richard Peskett.

Generator, Farnborough 1913.jpg

Reference LGOC North Road coachworks , they did build a wide assortment of bodies including workshops on Peerless chassis and even Crossley RFC tenders. Vintage Roadscene September / November 1996 has some good images. What is surprising is that there is a photograph of a RFC Leyland included. Also stores bodies were built quote 'to accompany the workshops' which seem to have been much less photographed.

Richard Peskett.

A most interesting photograph contain so much detail.

It would appear to me the unit was put together as somewhat of a mis-match. There appears to be no substantial chassis frame to the trailer visible, the weight of the engine and generating set, along with the vibration of it in operation requiring the additional bracing supporting the floor. Yet the nature of the wheels and axles suggest an heavy loading is possible.

The wooden frame work supporting the canvas is basic, there does seem to be any secondary support for the canvas roof to stop it from sagging. The whole canvas cover appears to be draped over as one sheet with little tension to the roof. Operating this in wet weather would be an interesting time.

The wooden box on the front could be an electrical junction box with exposed wiring to the elements.

Like wise I can't see an exhaust pipe leading outside, only what may be a pipe finishing inside the structure. Fumes!

To the right is a riveted steel pressurized container. Is it for fuel?

Then behind that is a bicycle. Who is willing to identify the maker of it?

As for the trailer, the wheels are wide and with three rivets to the spokes, suggest a heavier trailer form. I can't read any manufacturers name on the hub, but would suggest a Foster product, as there is only a single steel rim to which the spokes are attached.

A great photo.

Doug

A stunning photograph there Richard - I don't remember you showing me that before!

Pictures of trailed workshops are quite rare, especially showing any real detail. Here are a couple of views of one from my collection (not for reproduction). I can't make out the data plate - all suggestions welcome. Ditto for the manufacturer. Taskers were a well known trailer manufacturer from the time but I don't have any reference material to positively identify one way or the other.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

An interesting image described as a telegraphic office. Note the sprags with the discs attached, by the rear axle.

Number 2 is a further image of a workshop. It would appear somewhat posed for the camera in the manner of the items shown and the numbers of people about.

Australian photos.

Doug

ww1 lorry tele exc sprags.jpg

ww1 workshop truck auwmP03050.jpg

Runflat was asking about the 1916 RAF Leyland here.

On the back is a metal dumper body that was raised by a Garwood cable- hydraulic hoist. That was removed for transporting the truck and placed on the rear deck. Also on the back are spare solid rubber tyres.

The body and hoist will go on to another Leyland chassis of the early 1920's better fitting the period of time, allowing an original RFC type body to be constructed for this.

While a number of photographs have been located showing other manufacturers trucks in use by New Zealand units in the army, no photographs to date has been found showing any Leylands with RFC markings and with a NZ connection like that of the silver fern insignia.

To complete this truck to that with a Kiwi connection as used, would be the ultimate aim.

Doug

Leyland alt  email1.jpg

An interesting image described as a telegraphic office. Note the sprags with the discs attached, by the rear axle.

Number 2 is a further image of a workshop. It would appear somewhat posed for the camera in the manner of the items shown and the numbers of people about.

Australian photos.

Doug

This photo has puzzled me for a while as to the truck manufacturer. From the bonnet design, it appears to be a Hallford truck as the workshop.

Note the flat belt driving the overhead line shafting for the workshop in the cab area, taken from the engine flywheel direct.

Doug

This photo has puzzled me for a while as to the truck manufacturer. From the bonnet design, it appears to be a Hallford truck as the workshop.

Note the flat belt driving the overhead line shafting for the workshop in the cab area, taken from the engine flywheel direct.

Doug

While an separate engine was the normal power supply for the dynamo, there are references to power being taken from the lorry's engine via a belt, like the traction engines provided power for fairgrounds. 4-cylinder Austin engines seem to have been the most commonly used, mounted transversly to help alleviate vibration.

hi all, doug is correct the diff is of a vulcan, as i have a diff out of one here, i bought it thinking it could be out of an albion as the Y spoke shape is very similar, it was identified for me by one of tim and steves contacts, i know of one other here in nz but it sold before i got a chance to see it, i think a leyland with a workshop body would definately be a unique and interesting project vehicle, mike.

unidentified diff 008.jpg

unidentified diff 010.jpg