101 info sought

antarmike

Question

• Answers 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

According to the number plates it has been through PRB services in the days before 01 numbers.

101010.jpg

101005.jpg

101011.jpg

101007.jpg

101002.jpg

Mike are you aware that those rims and tyres are actually of the special lightweight that was developed for the marshland on the Falklands. There is a cracking picture in Mark Cook's book.

I may be wrong but they look like the flotation tyres!

My mate had interesting electrical things going on with his 101 and it was all down mainly to shoddy wireing under the dash on the front bulkhead. I think there is a fuse box under there from memory but it was some years ago. Lots of loose spade conectors and hot rubbish fuse conections. wipers would stop for no reason even the engine cut out a few times but it took ages to find the faults cos it would all work perfect when we came back with the test meter:nut:

Mike are you aware that those rims and tyres are actually of the special lightweight that was developed for the marshland on the Falklands. There is a cracking picture in Mark Cook's book.

I may be wrong but they look like the flotation tyres!

These wheels and tyres are I believe Suacat. Surely the Leightweight had 5 stud hubs, not six studs as per Supacat/ 101 and these rims.

I hadn't read all the posts when I replied, I now see someone else has pointed this out!

LandRoverlightweightsofttyresbN.jpg

I guess this is what tyres would look like!

Edited by antarmike

That looks like it started out as the driver's handbook wiring Diagram, which I have.

My current problem is the indicators/ hazzards are totally spasmodic. Sometimes they work, sometimes they dont (I suspect a faulty flasher unit, since if you turn them on and they don't work, but just walk away from the vehicle, after a few minutes they might start flashing.) I don't know whther it is hot wire technology or what inside the flasher. I am endevouring to find anothe unit, before I pull all the wiring apart!

101 wiring was designed by a blind plumber!! It's the bain of a 101 owner's life. Consider a complete rewire at least behind the dashboard.

101 wiring was designed by a blind plumber!! It's the bain of a 101 owner's life. Consider a complete rewire at least behind the dashboard.

What! You mean it is worse than a S3 109:shocked:

Mind you my indicators do work properly after a bit of replumbing. One day I may het the headlight highbeam warning light working properly and the charging light, shunt box etc.

Some PO was stupid enough to let an electrician near mine. Luckily my plumbing is upto Solihull standards.

Mike

101 wiring is no different to series LR wiring but everything is more exposed to damp, dirt and prying fingers of those that don't know what they are doing! The fuse box is inaccessible and is a constant source of bad connections. It's scary that so much of it is unfused, I intend to put a new fusebox in mine and reckon on needing 12-14 fuses. I've already fitted relays to the lights, decent halogen bulbs will overload the switches.

I have just started to repair the rear cross member of the 101.

Can anyone tell me why the right hand side of the rear cross member is a mirror image of the left hand side?

If that is a daft question, what I mean is the winch sits on the left hand chassis rail, and can be fed forward or rearwards. There is therefore an elongated slot for the winch rope to pass through the left hand side rear cross member. Since some 101's were winch equipped and others were not, there are two sets of holes for the left hand rear bumperette, because the winch fairlead bumperette is wider than the non winch equipped bumperette.

The fuel tank sits on the right hand chassis rail, the Winch PTO feeds to the winch on the left. Even on a left hand drive vehicle, the winch could not have been fitted to the right hand chassis rail. The Transfer gearbox's asymmetrical design prevents making a PTO feeding to the right.

The rear cross member has however a mirror image slotted hole to feed the winch rope through, and also has holes to suit the two widths of rear bumperette, I.E. there is provision to fit a wide bumperette with winch Fairlead cylindrical hole, on the right side of the rear cross member.

What mental aberration lead Land-Rover to put all the holes, and fixing points on the right hand side of the rear cross member to take a winch bumperette, when there is no way the winch could have fed to this point?

Edited by antarmike

Complete shot in the dark - for the power take off to drive the powered trailer?

No the Power take off comes through the middle of the towing connection..

On the powered trailer version, a Nato hitch fitted centrally in a round socket in the middle of the cross member to tow unpowered trailers, and this was held in place by a chain that closed around it. Slacken the chain and you pull the Nato Jaw out of the socket, and the nose of the Powered trailer is entered into the circular hole, and clamped by the same chain. The drive comes through the centre of this arrangement.

I am talking about slots and holes on the RHS of cross member, roughly behind and outside the R.H. Chassis rail.

Just had a look at the pictures of my old one - the only thing in the area you are referring to is the back step - perhaps mine is different (was a mortar carrier and therefore had no winch)

As far as I know there was only one chassis for all the 101 variants.

The elongated hole is almost hidden by the right Bumperette, About 1/8" to 3/16" only shows emerging from behind the Bumperette. Only clearly visible when the Bumperette is unbolted. The two bolt holes holes for the wider bumperette are about an inch to inch and a half nearer centre of cross member than the inner fixings of the RHS bumperette, and should be clearly visible, even with the bumperette in place..

Edited by antarmike

101crossmember001-1.jpg

Holes (s) A used to attach Bumperette. Hole(s)B unused.

101crossmember002-1.jpg

Front of cross member showing elongated hole through which it would be possible to feed winch rope if the winch were on that side of the vehicle.

101crossmember004-1.jpg

This is the other side showing path of winch rope through identical slot.

101crossmember003.jpg

LHS Winch Bumperette showing fixing bolts, and of you look through the big hole in it you will see the fixing holes for the narrower non winch bumperette.

101crossmember003flipped.jpg

Above I have mirrored the last pic to show how a mirror image winch bumperette would fit on RHS using holes B, not holes A.

Was there some subtle "cunning and devious plan" to bring the winch rope to this corner, by extra pulleys sat on top of the chassis, so that you could get a better winching angle if needed, or is it just a case of having these extra holes just because nobody knew what they were doing?

I am tempted to close in all these holes when I repair the cross member since they are only another way for mud and crap to get into the cross member to rust it out from the inside!

Edited by antarmike