RAF staff car gallery.

Rick W

So David's Commer could well be an ex RN as opposed to ex RAF ??? that would fit ther bill .

TED

Hi Ted, it could also be post-war because the early post-war vans looked very similar to pre-war and wartime models. I think it was 1948 that the lights went into the wings. Chassis plate reads : Commer Cars Ltd, Luton, number 7750561. Thanks for the input, this has rekindled my interest !! Regards David Robertson.

Hillman estate 001.jpg

Hillman estate 002.jpg

Hi David see attached, this is a post war advert. Harpenden is, (i used to cycle there as a kid) sorry was a tiny village just south of Luton. So with your plate detail they appear to be a Luton product not just badge engineering from the Midlands. the second attachment shows 4 Hillman Tillies taken at RAF Middleton St Geaorge now better known as Teeside airport.

regards TED from sunny Fife

4 Hillman Tillies.jpg

commer_8cwt_supervan_4528335.jpg

• Like 1

Hi David see attached, this is a post war advert. Harpenden is, (i used to cycle there as a kid) sorry was a tiny village just south of Luton. So with your plate detail they appear to be a Luton product not just badge engineering from the Midlands. the second attachment shows 4 Hillman Tillies taken at RAF Middleton St Geaorge now better known as Teeside airport.

regards TED from sunny Fife

Hi Ted, were Commer vans produced before, during and after the war ?

Is there a list anywhere that will date my chassis plate ? Any photo's of Commer vans ? Regards David Robertson.

Hi Ted, were Commer vans produced before, during and after the war ?

Is there a list anywhere that will date my chassis plate ? Any photo's of Commer vans ? Regards David Robertson.

Sorry, mistake, i meant to ask were Commer vans produced at Luton before, during and after the war.

There was definately some badge engineering post war ; but I have always understood if a plate says Luton it was produced there. They definately did vans at Luton but how many and/or what models were a rebadge of a very similar product in he Midlands I don't know. Also no idea of dating by plate numbers. Unfortunately my Dad passed away in 93, he would have been able top answer many of our questions.

TED

There was definately some badge engineering post war ; but I have always understood if a plate says Luton it was produced there. They definately did vans at Luton but how many and/or what models were a rebadge of a very similar product in he Midlands I don't know. Also no idea of dating by plate numbers. Unfortunately my Dad passed away in 93, he would have been able top answer many of our questions.

TED

Thanks for all your help Ted, i think i have hogged this tread long enough and may start another one dealing with the Hillman / Commer connection, regards David Robertson.

• 2 years later...
Thanks Ted :-)

For Rick, the car in my posting is a Humber Super Snipe. The light blue car with Dutch plates on in another post is an Austin, think the model is a Big Seven.

I have just found this photo of a Humber Snipe Photo 20th May 1942 in Beirut. Looks more like an Army car than RAF though. The guy in the photo is a New Zealander named Glen Sewell who is on leave from Libya and is standing in front of the Hotel Normandie.

Humber Snipe staff car.pdf

• 6 years later...
On 6/15/2011 at 11:46 PM, Richard Farrant said:

Hi all out there,

I own a Vauxhall GY 1938 and has been said that it was delivered directly to the RAF.

Has anyone any info of this type of Vauxhall used by the RAF during WW2?

Has anyone any photos of this type while in use with the RAF??

Mainly you find photos of the Vauxhall J, as far I was not able to fiond any of the Vauxhall GY.

Who can help me??

Many thanks,  Hay

Ted,

Just been looking at Rootes government contract list for WW2 period, and the Royal Navy had several contracts of Commer 8 cwt vans and Utilicons, also a few Govt departments, but all Hillman named for RAF.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi

I am trying to trace a Humber Heavy utility,(1941) contract V.3829,

it appears to have been painted factory green, RAF blue, Drab Green,Desert Sand, Light Earth, Dark Green,

Black gloss, Ivory(as Ambulance conversion).

inside cab floor factory green then RAF blue. over spray ivory at conversion,

other colours in cab factory light earth, Desert sand ,green(s) gloss black, ivory, Florissant orange front cab floor, gearbox, cab area.

I know RAF number are going to a bit hard to find have yet to strip the bonnet and the front wings the paint is mostly gone.

RAF census nos I guess would be under impressed?

of course this could all be RAAF Blue.

regs

Rupert