what is it ?

egdod

Hi Guys, I have just been given a wooden military crate it is brown in colour with yellow markings which

seem to have been applied over earlier markings on the bottom it says m.22 mk4 sv264a only nothing seems

to show up on Goggle also date is 1955

Dave

Dave, how are you?

I can't help you with the crate - can you post some photos. I picked a couple of good ammo crates up at the Colleville 'vide greniers' in August, but it was pouringn down. Are you still in France?

I suppose i should have pm'd this but it's too late now.

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken,

we returned to uk last october we have have been back to normandy twice since then....love the place!!

i was given the crate by a friend who had just bought a house and was clearing the garage

i know its post war but is in lovely condition seemed a shame to see it end up on a skip!!

i will post some pics when have a mo.nice to hear you still ok. the 65th celebrations seem a long while ago now

Dave

65th does seem a while ago, but we're gearing up for the 70th....

If you can post a picture of the crate i might be able to help ID it Dave. I have many war time crates which have been reused with war time markings (where you can see the war time markings under the post war ones). I would have thought they would have destroyed the war time markings to avoid confusion, but the evidence suggests otherwise.

Also picked up a 75mm crate (one of the triangular ones) clearly over stencilled "Omaha Beach - Ord depot"....

Ken

thanks for the offer but we tend to keep up near saint mere as thats where we got to know the neighbours !!!!

we were out there for two weeks in august on holiday should have got you that beer!! already looked at 15

propertys i fear it could be a long search..!

Dave