I may be stupid but I am not doing this

Grumpy

Question

I'm a qualified Skydiver and used to drive Tower Cranes, but there is no way on this earth you'd get me up that. I had Vertigo just watching that. That guy has some serious balls. Climbing down must be a nightmare. I'd definitely want a parachute on for that. I wonder what he gets paid?

In my youth I would have done that no probs but doubt I would have the stamina now, and as Loggy said, climbing down could be harder than going up.

Last year my wife and I went on a 2 hour intro to potholing at Cheddar but what surprised me was the reaction from just about all my friends when I told them, they developed a cold sweat just thinking about it.

Last year my wife and I went on a 2 hour intro to potholing at Cheddar but what surprised me was the reaction from just about all my friends when I told them, they developed a cold sweat just thinking about it.

I did quite a few sorties one year in the Mendips - the first ones with just acetelyne lamps - not sure I ever really enjoyed it, but it didn't half make the beer by the open fire afterwards taste so much better!

Never liked the way they made me hide the Landrover keys in the bumper - just in case I didn't make it out....

I love the comentary saying that clipping on was not done as it slowed things down - Can yo imagine the HSE going for that over here :-D LMAO,

Made my palms sweat just watching it - I think I'll stick to platform lifts (and even those scare me sometimes:D)

Don

I did quite a few sorties one year in the Mendips - the first ones with just acetelyne lamps - not sure I ever really enjoyed it, but it didn't half make the beer by the open fire afterwards taste so much better!

Never liked the way they made me hide the Landrover keys in the bumper - just in case I didn't make it out....

The smell of acetelyne lamps and burning flesh when climbing ladders :(

I did a mast in Nigeria a few years ago, I cannot remember exactly how high it was but 600 feet seems to ring my bell, that was interesting indeed, its the amount of movement that you get, it sways all the time...the last 20m totally in the open, I did it wearing my suit and tie, no safety anything...and boy was it hot...

I'd also love to try climbing one!

But we need to take into consideration that the really scarey bit would be sitting at the top of the not yet completed mast as a helicopter dangled the (probably extremely heavy and unstable) next section in the down draught as they had to try and maneuver it and get the bolts in without being knocked off!:wow: Or even worse, climbing a damaged mast to repair it after high winds, lightning or whatever other phenomenon could easily damage it.

Edited by Dougiebarder

OMG! My Own 'Bag' went up inside when I watched this!.....

All in a days work to these guys I guess? Hats off to them!

This also begs a question to my mind.

How on earth did all that gear get up so far & be bolted into place in the first instance?

Sections of the mast & mountings are clearly far too heavy to be carried up by manpower alone?

You never really think about any of this until you watch a video like we have witnessed!.......