Sheared brake caliper nipple

Tony B

Question

17 answers to this question

I know it's easy to be wise after the event, but if I get a bleed-nipple that feels like it's about to put up a fight, I use a 6-point socket in an air-wrench. Turn the air right down to start with, then bring it up gently - the vibration usually loosens the nipple and out she comes:-D.

John

if u pm me address will send u some snap on easy outs and drills.

I use the very rarely used splined bits in my tool kit to do the same job as the snap on devices, just hammer in the tightest one you can, the mix of hammering and the fitting of the bit usually releases anything that is stuck...

I use the very rarely used splined bits in my tool kit to do the same job as the snap on devices, just hammer in the tightest one you can, the mix of hammering and the fitting of the bit usually releases anything that is stuck...

Tried that one myself on a brake caliper nipple years ago and snapped the bit, so had to buy a new caliper.

It may work for you but the advantage of the Snap On Easy outs is that they are sharp on the splines and bite into the offending metal. They also used to come with a set of exact size drill bits to use before hand for a good fit.

Tried that one myself on a brake caliper nipple years ago and snapped the bit, so had to buy a new caliper.

It may work for you but the advantage of the Snap On Easy outs is that they are sharp on the splines and bite into the offending metal. They also used to come with a set of exact size drill bits to use before hand for a good fit.

yes but where needs must the splined bits have worked for me everytime, didnt know that a specific tool existed, I too will be getting one of the snap on ones...

Before undoing, I usually give it a few gentle clouts with a copper mallet and then heat the nipple with the oxy-acetylene to crack the rust. Its especially good for alloy calipers, if you cycle the heat and quenching a couple of times it thermal-shocks the corrosion and it un-does no bother.

Snapped, again, out with the gas or the arc and weld an m6 bolt onto the stub, again the thermal shock usually works to slacken the nipple.

Havent had much success with extractors.........

Have fun!! :banghead:

tony u could try one of those paintsripper hot air guns,splinned extractors were designed for removing sheared cyllinder head studs and similar good thing about them is u can drive the spline deep into the drilled stud important with all these devices is to use coorect drill size.

Edited by griff66

What problem? :-D Came out a dream. As it happens the bore of the nipple was absolutley correct. Tightened up, a slight trepidation, one extra push, and the thing just twisted out. The Gremlins then got their own back, four and a half hours to take the back axle off and ex seaside 110! :banghead: