Leyland Martian Fv1103A

Now it's back under cover, have started to strip the cab panels. Framework on o/s is'nt too bad, just some pieces welded in to the bottom of the frames and replace bottom side members.

Lack of paint between frames and outer panels, and inside of the box framework sure helps the rust to develop.

These are the C & D pillars, as you can see, not brilliant.

Same again.

Looking a tad bare, but more to follow!!!

os1.JPG

os2.JPG

os3.JPG

os6.JPG

os4.JPG

os5.JPG

Roof panels were rusted through, and some of the members needed repairing too, hip ring and associated roof area completely jiggered too. Took a while to remove all the panels, might be a tough job to replace them all too!!!

Looking up...

Looking down...

Framework around the hip ring location.

One rather manky hip ring and cupola hatches.

There's still a lot of work to do before refitting all new panels, reckon the hip ring repairs will tax the old grey cells somewhat.

Simon

1.JPG

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

In the middle of all this repair work im going to add a couple of pics of what it used to look like way before I got my hands on it. The first I think was taken around 1979/80 just before it was demobbed whilst it was being used for driver training.

The second I think would be any time late 80's? When it was used by A F Silver in Ruislip.

My thanks go to Simon at Miliblog for allowing me to share these with you.

Cheers

Simon

pencil.png

44BM75 a.jpg

OVS 880.jpg

• 4 months later...

Now for something completely different. Hydraulic steering pump, Lockheed Mk7. It took me a quite a while to source some new seals, 2 different sizes are fitted, and 1 is now obsolete. But I have got around that little problem. Of the 3 seals that are fitted, there are 2 that are 1/4 " thick, and ! is 3/8 " thick. Both are 1 1/8" OD, with 9/16" ID, the latter is no longer available, so I made up a spacer to take up the slack. These pumps were originally designed for use in aircraft, as noted in the parts manual as everything is prefixed AIR. After much searching on the net I found a company that refurbishes AP Lockheed undercarriage units, and from them I obtained a name of a supplier of the seals.

First pic shows the pump in situ on the truck, a doddle to get to without the front wing fitted!!!

Pump now separated, this shot shows the radial piston arrangement.

Old seals removed with the other part of the pump.

Nice new seals ready to fit.

All back together and primed.

Followed by a coating of engine blue.

P090910_14.500001.jpg

P031110_10.140001.jpg

P031110_10.540002.jpg

P140611_11.200001.JPG

P140611_13.020006.JPG

P020711_10.260002.JPG

Eventually got both end caps and whatnots off, as there wasn't any air or fluid pressure in them before they were stripped it was very easy to unscrew the ends by hand after the initial tightness had been overcome. Next pic shows the insides.

And one of the empty barrels.

I have managed to get some seals for these from Banisters, but they didn't have enough to do the whole lot, does anyone know where else I can get these from?

P230611_13.550001.JPG

P230611_13.550004.JPG

Dear Marvin,

True patience being taken by you on the job and not a few pennies either by the looks of it.

All your work will pay off by keeping her under cover in the shed i'm sure.

Just like eating an elephant you are biting off a mouth full at a time and making slow but sure progress. Kind of gives me inspiration to get going on a project I have been procrastinating on starting. Thanks for that!

R