Leyland Martian Fv1103A

Figured it was about time I put a few photos on here of what I have done, which quite frankly is not a lot!! Mainly been taking bits off and cleaning/repairing as and when weather allows. Bonnet assembly, OS doors, radiator and air cleaners and other odd bits and bobs.

Was quite surprised on the number of coats of paint that I took off, green, blue, yellow, even a splash of red, most likely put on after demob!!

Oddly the bonnet sides are made of aluminium, shame to hide it again under a layer of paint!

P120709_12.270003.JPG

P100709_20.390001.JPG

P100709_20.030001.JPG

P100709_16.450001.JPG

P180709_15.300001.JPG

P100709_17.050001.JPG

That's come up well.

Which brand of stripper do you use????

Keep the pictures coming. :-)

I spy a can of Nitormors on the floor.

When I've been trying to remove multiple coats of military paint I find a combination of steam cleaner set on max temp then nitromors then steam again until removed works well. Some layers of paint don't seem to move by one method then the other gets them.

Lets have some more pictures of the Martian please.

Is it running and driving or a full restoration project?

And let the welding/pigeon pooping begin!!!!

Don't do yourself down!

That looks like a fantastic bit of restoration. Not easy making up all those sections to the same dimensions, radius of fold. Then trying to weld new to old thin sheet is a nightmare, especially on the door skin were it's going to be in full view.

Surprised that the doors have gone at the top as well. The vehicle must have been standing for some time.

A few shots of the air cleaner assembly, blooming heavy when all together!!!

Quite easy to strip...

Paint came off quite easy.

On with some fresh paint.

Plus a bit of nice shiny silver.

Is it just me who thinks garden furniture has more than one use!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

7.jpg

6.jpg

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

06.jpg

Don't do yourself down!

That looks like a fantastic bit of restoration. Not easy making up all those sections to the same dimensions, radius of fold. Then trying to weld new to old thin sheet is a nightmare, especially on the door skin were it's going to be in full view.

I agree, not easy to do, good job ...:thumbsup:

Is it me or is that air cleaner assembly over engineered?

Edited by gritineye

While I'm still awake a few more pics, these are of the dashboard panel, stripped, repaired and repainted.

Painted in gloss black as that is what colour I found on the bits not seen.

Next a few shots of the radiator, repairs to the fan cowling, followed by painting.

It all looks so much better with a coat of green paint.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

• 1 month later...

Next in line is the carburettor and air intake elbow, looks a bit dreary as is....

With a scrub up, blow out of all jets etc and a coat of paint...

Some pics of the hard work....

Et voila....

Just wondering if I take this long on every job then I'll never get the truck finished!!!!

Simon

102.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

107.jpg

Yes, It'll be worth all the skinned knuckles, swear words and empty pockets when it's finished. Suppose I'd better start saving up to enable me to fill up the fuel tank too!!!

Simon

Jerry can a month to fill the tank. Hopefully not too much evaporates before you get to run it!

Best thing for fuel tanks is to keep them full and reduce chances of internal corrosion.

Trouble is your on petrol and all the best bits evaporate first. Leave it too many years and you end up with a thick gunge in the tank were the petrol used to be.

Keep putting a bit in now and again and giving the engine a run. Hearing it keeps the enthusiasm up on bad days.

Jerry can a month to fill the tank. Hopefully not too much evaporates before you get to run it!

Best thing for fuel tanks is to keep them full and reduce chances of internal corrosion.

Trouble is your on petrol and all the best bits evaporate first. Leave it too many years and you end up with a thick gunge in the tank were the petrol used to be.

Keep putting a bit in now and again and giving the engine a run. Hearing it keeps the enthusiasm up on bad days.

Sound advice.....I like this comment....

Sorry no Pun! intended :-D