British WWII water tank trailers?

Duson

Hi Dusan,

British Airborne forces developed a small 100 gallon bowser based on standard Airborne Trailer parts and a special chassis.

I have restored this one...

Light and tows perfectly behind a Jeep. Capable of being Glider bourne - but not found photo of one in action yet.

John

IMG_5791 (Medium).JPG

IMG_5787 (Medium).JPG

IMG_5784 (Medium).JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Clive,

I think my trailer (pictures on thread) is the 100 gallon version you mention on p.8 of your paper.

Do you have any other information about these lightweight trailers?

I understand they were developed for Airborne forces; and they are listed on 6th AB Div vehicle lists.

Thanks

John

John I had to think about that as I wrote it 5 years ago. Going back to the original I see I cited 50 publications as the main sources. Well I have found the Chilwell produced book on using it. This is principally the operation of the filtration system, sterilizing & testing procedures. But no details of the trailer itself, I have yet to find source of that info. All the references were from books that I have, so something more should be in here somewhere!

I have to say it was a delight to see the pics of your trailer. Trailers often seem to be regarded as rather incidental to the main hobby & it is unusual to see a preserved water trailer from any era. They never seem to get the recognition they deserve, yet without a clean water supply any army will rapidly become ineffective.

App2455.jpg

Clive,

Thanks for reply....as you say any information about these particular trailers is in short supply.

Having also restored "Airborne" No1 and No2 trailers, many of the fittings are identical, but the bowser trailer has a special chassis for the galvanised tank.

As the 100 gallon bowser was developed for the Jeep, it tows perfectly behind my 44 Willys.

Agree with you re: trailers being considered as incidental. Although I think there is increasing interest in them, particular if WWII vintage....and this is reflected in recent prices.

John

I have just received a Book catalogue from BUFO BOOKS who deal in second-hand military books. Item 215 in their 'Pinpoint' catalogue is the instructions for use with a Water tank truck and Water tank trailer dated 1939 price £7.50 plus carriage. It seems to cover cleaning and sterilizing mainly. You can contact them on 01794-517149 or email warbooks@bufobooks.demon.co.uk and their website is http://www.bufobooks.demon.co.uk Items seem to go quick, so I suggest you contact them soon if you are interested.

I have no connection with them and just received their catalogue. Just thought you might be interested.

Robert/Clive,

That would have been an interesting book for background info, but as it was a 1939 edition would have preceded my trailer.

Other Water bowser publications I have are:

1955 W.O. 17833: Body, Water Tank, 100 Gallon, Mk1 (Mounted on Trailer, 1/2 Ton, 2 wheeled) - that I thought would be correct for my bowser - but is actually for a later model.

1957 W.O. 12090: Identification List for range of trailers in cluding "Water, 100 gallons, Mk.12. This again is for a completely different later post-war trailer/bowser.

Undated W.O. 13464: Illustrated Spare Parts List (covers the WWII lightweight trailers - inlcuding the 100 gallon "Airborne" boswer. An excellent reference doc)

John

• 1 year later...
I have a User Manual for the Water Trailer and Water Truck as in the photo if anyone is interested.

Nigel[ATTACH=CONFIG]35699[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]35700[/ATTACH]

Hi Nigel sent you a PM mate.

Does anyone have one of these 'user manuals' for sale or could copy one for me please ?

Thanks Ian