FV430 types.

plainmilitary

The FV432 family must be the oldest serving vehicles within the British Army todate. The old girl has seen a lot of changes and mods in her life, Abbott, Swingfire, recovery, Mortar just to name a few. The first of the FV432s saw the light of day in 1961 and has continued working right up to the present day. From the eairly drawing board days and prototypes to te newest Bulldog, this vehicles has become a firm and trusted friend to all the troops that have served with her over the years.

If my maths serves me correct, next year should be the 60th for this vehicle? So my next question is, how many of these verients servive today in private hands? (Pictures if you have one). Would any of you be interested in bringing your vehicle for a 50th birthday party to Wiltshire next year 2011?

The list.

FV430 and pre-production vehicles. TROJAN

APC. FV432

MORTAR. FV432

BARMINE LAYER. FV432

RECOVERY (FV434).

GREEN ARCHER. FV436

CYMBELINE.

PTARMIGAN. FV439

ABBOTT. FV433

30mm RARDEN.

SWINGFIRE. FV438

BULLDOG.

BULLDOG UA.

and anything I may have missed.

So guys and gals, have a think, post some pictures if you wish and if your interesed in a FV430 birthday get together drop me a line and I will take it from there.

Remember, you read it here first.

Tony.

PLains weekend 2011....

Edited by plainmilitary

There are several variants of the FV436 and FV439. There are also, as I understand it, three variants of the Bulldog; Bulldog 2 (FV432 Mk 3), Bulldog 4 (FV434 Mk 3) and Bulldog 9 (FV439 Mk 3).

And yes, if my Mk 2 is in a fit state I may be interested in a birthday bash. Perhaps we could even involve MOD Combat Tracks Group (previously the LAS IPT)?

Andy

The FV432 family must be the oldest serving vehicles within the British Army todate. The old girl has seen a lot of changes and mods in her life, Abbott, Swingfire, recovery, Mortar just to name a few. The first of the FV432s saw the light of day in 1961 and has continued working right up to the present day. From the eairly drawing board days and prototypes to te newest Bulldog, this vehicles has become a firm and trusted friend to all the troops that have served with her over the years.

If my maths serves me correct, next year should be the 60th for this vehicle? So my next question is, how many of these verients servive today in private hands? (Pictures if you have one). Would any of you be interested in bringing your vehicle for a 60th birthday party to Wiltshire next year 2011?

The list.

FV430 and pre-production vehicles. TROJAN

APC. FV432

MORTAR. FV432

BARMINE LAYER. FV432

RECOVERY (FV434).

GREEN ARCHER. FV436

CYMBELINE.

PTARMIGAN. FV439

ABBOTT. FV433

30mm RARDEN.

SWINGFIRE. FV438

BULLDOG.

BULLDOG UA.

and anything I may have missed.

So guys and gals, have a think, post some pictures if you wish and if your interesed in a FV430 birthday get together drop me a line and I will take it from there.

Remember, you read it here first.

Tony.

PLains weekend 2011....

There is FV 432 Mk 1 (petrol) some in privete hands

Fv 432 fire surport with peak turrent (seen one at a show)

Fv 432 Ant tank fitted with Wombat/Combat/Bat (Have not seen this in privete hands)

FV 43? Amblance

Will have a look when I get home

Al

Isn't it 50 not 60 years.......................?

Correct John, 50th NOT 60th..

Yes Neil, the Cargo / Carrier was part of the FV420 series, FV421. Would be nice to find one of these beasties still about. By 1959 4 prototypes and 17 pre-production FV432s had been produced by GKN Sankey and ROF. 1961 the first FV432 prototype was shown to the public.

Tony.

There is FV 432 Mk 1 (petrol) some in privete hands

Fv 432 fire surport with peak turrent (seen one at a show)

Fv 432 Ant tank fitted with Wombat/Combat/Bat (Have not seen this in privete hands)

FV 43? Amblance

Will have a look when I get home

Al

FV 435 Wavell

Fv 432 Command Post Role

FV 432 Carl Gutav Role

FV 432 winch and earth anchor Role

FV 432 Ground surveillance radar kit role

There is more roles that the 432 has done in its service a very verstial bit of kit

Al

Yes Neil, the Cargo / Carrier was part of the FV420 series, FV421. Would be nice to find one of these beasties still about. By 1959 4 prototypes and 17 pre-production FV432s had been produced by GKN Sankey and ROF. 1961 the first FV432 prototype was shown to the public.

Tony.

There is a FV 420 around John Pearson will know more about its history to date.

Al

Tony.

A sole FV421 does still exist, it is under (slow) restoration in the Midlands but wasn't there also an FV431, it looked like an FV434 but without the arm, a sort of 'pick up truck' version, (in fact the few FV431's made may have been used up as prototype FV 434's or FV436 etc???)

Preston Isaac has a protype FV432 with the separate steering/braking system and the 'differential' bulge in the front plate but it is in poor condition I think, having spent many years in the open.

Also, for a full list, a lot a variants came in Mk 1, Mk 2 and Mk 2/1 versions as well I believe. A full list would probably exceed the number of survivors!

John Pearson

The sole FV421 does still exist, it is under (slow) restoration in the Midlands but wasn't there also an FV431, it looked like an FV434 but without the arm, a sort of 'pick up truck' version, (in fact the few FV431's made may have been used up as prototype FV 434's or FV436 etc???)

Hi John

Yes there was a FV431 load carrier most photos seem to show an "ammunition" type side accesable rear box (similar to the FV420 series load carrier) but it looks very like a modular system -large lift off lugs on the rear box possibly to give flexiblity of rear that could be fited- the FV432 seems to have been designed with a similar plan as there is a structural line around the rear compartment sides in pre series. The FV431 and FV432 have a different front superstructure shape the 431 is a single slope whereas the 432 is a short steep slope -like an Abbot. Note the 06EB03 VRN on the second photo considering most 432 and 433 prototypes were DA numbered

The only FV434 pre series photos I seen show an early FV432 hull doesn't mean there wasn't a FV431 converted or even a FV431 with a hi-ab as a loadmaster system

I thought that the 434 prototype may have been built from a Green Archer prototype but the trackguard arrangement is different.

Preston Isaac has a protype FV432 with the separate steering/braking system and the 'differential' bulge in the front plate but it is in poor condition I think, having spent many years in the open.
Is W17 the 432 owned by Preston Isaac?

Steve

FV431.jpg

FV434 W5.jpg

FV434 pre series.jpg

FV431 2.jpg

FV432 W17.jpg

Edited by steveo578
spelling

John Pearson

..................but it does have the same transmission bulge (as does the FV421)

Possibly the result of some transmission trails at Chertsey of Bovington- the few photos of FV420 series show a straight front and access cover.

A FV421 about to be used as a target at Lulworth I thought this may have been the FV420 survivor you mentioned as being restored in the Midlands. but obviously not. Note the stepped windscreen on the cab -unlike other 420s shown

The Fv421 load carrier with side access open Single slope front.

The FV423 Command Centre -again the sides open out giving access to inside of vehicle and possibly desk-work space areas for tented spaces.

A very interesting series of vehicles like the FV400 Cambridge -a pity only one seems to have survived It would be interesting if anyone has anything on the other FV420s -the FV422 APC the 424 RE, 425 REME, and the 426 Orange Wiliam.

Steve

Fv421 lulworth.jpg

FV421 00CA24.jpg

FV423 CP 00CA29.jpg

Edited by steveo578
addition

Now you have set me thinking! The photo you have of the 421 at Lulworth is certainly very similar and the one being restored by my mate does have a vertical winscreen but it also has "extra" side brackets to the cab which look at bit like smoke discharger brackets on steroids which do not show in your pic. The lack of the transmission bulge is more worrying: I would put money on it being there but it is not in the pic and you say only the one had the vertical windsceen? I do know that I have not seen it for some time and as I get more senile my memory gets more fuizzy but I will now have to look for a picture of it to check if I am going dulali

Hi john

If you remember i found one in scotland fv437 pathfinder, As yet i dont think it has been mentioned. It seems to have a dozer type blade on the front fitted with a winch and in the rear there is no rear door just a flat back and at the botton two jet drives. I do have some pics on my old pc but its u/s i will have to get the mashine looked at ,But it must be the only one left.

British Army nomenclature

• FV431 Armoured load carrier - one prototype produced, Alvis Stalwart 6x6 vehicle selected instead for load carrier role.
  • FV432 Armoured Personnel Carrier
  • FV433 Field Artillery, Self-Propelled "Abbot" - 105 mm self propelled gun built by Vickers.
  • FV434 "Carrier, Maintenance, Full Tracked" - REME Maintenance carrier with hydraulically driven crane.
  • FV435 Wavell communications vehicle
  • FV436 Command and control - some fitted with Green Archer radar, later Cymbeline radar.
  • FV437 Pathfinder vehicle - based on FV432 with integral buoyancy and other waterjets - prototyped only.
  • FV438 Swingfire - Guided missile launcher.
  • FV439 Signals vehicle - Many variants.
  • FV430 Mk3 Bulldog - Upgraded troop carrier that began serving in Iraq in December 2006.

John Pearson Re: FV430 types.

Now you have set me thinking! The photo you have of the 421 at Lulworth is certainly very similar and the one being restored by my mate does have a vertical winscreen but it also has "extra" side brackets to the cab which look at bit like smoke discharger brackets on steroids which do not show in your pic. The lack of the transmission bulge is more worrying: I would put money on it being there but it is not in the pic and you say only the one had the vertical windsceen?
There are probably more that one of the vertical windscreen I said "Note the stepped windscreen on the cab -unlike other 420s shown". It's the lack of decent photos of FV421 that's the problem -the old profile No 53 and the odd photo in Tankograd gazzette appears to be it -very little on the web. Maybe I should look to see if anything is listed in the CA registrations.

.......... to check if I am going dulali
I'm sure it's a consequence of this hobby possibly the oil:nut: Edited by steveo578
sorting quote marks

We've got a FV432 Mk1. May well be interested in attending, just depends on dates etc. Another idea maybe to arrange something at the War and Peace show 2011, there will be several there. They would look good all in a convoy around the sight 1 evening?

The military reg on ours is 02 EA 21 which I belive is from the first production batch. I'd like to know if its the earliest running 432 about? Anyone know of any other Mk1s

432 aa 006.jpg

We've got a FV432 Mk1. May well be interested in attending, just depends on dates etc. Another idea maybe to arrange something at the War and Peace show 2011, there will be several there. They would look good all in a convoy around the sight 1 evening?

The military reg on ours is 02 EA 21 which I belive is from the first production batch. I'd like to know if its the earliest running 432 about? Anyone know of any other Mk1s

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33893[/ATTACH]

Thats funny John Pearson and myself were on about having the "Birthday " at W&P has a possable location to hold it any more surgestions?

Al

andym

Only if it's an FV432! There are allegedly FV434 and FV439 variants - see my post above.

It was the designation of FV430 Mk3 Bulldog that I was querying
stal108

FV430 Mk3 Bulldog - Upgraded troop carrier that began serving in Iraq in December 2006

. A troop carrier would be FV432 Mk3 Bulldog 2 (by your previous post) and I don't have a problem with any of the designations in your post
AndyM

.......three variants of the Bulldog; Bulldog 2 (FV432 Mk 3), Bulldog 4 (FV434 Mk 3) and Bulldog 9 (FV439 Mk 3).

As far as I am aware no designation 430 was ever used except in textbooks to designate a class.

Steve