6v -12v kit ordered

Sorry.

I have to make some changes.

MI5 has just been on the phone and have warned me that I can not publically publish pictures or mention the name of the gentleman who can to help me at the weekend.

However, under great pressure from me allowed me to use his alias - "Mr O".

Stay tuned for more pictures and questions.

"12 volt" Jack.

Ok Degs.

Have some questions for you :mrgreen:

What ampage (is that a word?) battery do I need for my Jimmy now that we have gone up to 12 volt will I need to change the dash lights?

Also, I remember you saying something about the fuel gauge?? :?

Ok Degs.

What ampage (is that a word?) battery do I need for my Jimmy now that we have gone up to 12 volt will I need to change the dash lights?

I got a 90 amp battery for my jeep when I changed from a dynamo to alternator, the battery is big enough to take what is given out, you have to make sure that the cranking amps are enough

Ok Degs.

Nearly, the word is amperage :-), I can,t remember what capacity we used, just get the highest capacity battery that will fit in the carrier. The battery used for the TD5 diesel in Land rovers is 100 amp and allowing for the much higher compression rario on a modern diesel this should be more than enough for a jimmy. You need to change all bulbs and you need to fit a diode in the fuel gauge circuit to lower the voltage. Disconnect the fuel gauge before you fit a battery and don't reconnect it until you are sure you have dopped the voltage on that circuit or you'll have a 'Kentucky' sender unit.

Cheers

Degsy

Never bothered with bulbs in the dash, at a guess I think they would be SCC 5w.

I seem to remember Rex having diodes but your local auto electric factor should have them. As you were told previously the choice of coil comes down to whether you want the old 'acorn' type of coil connector or the modern push in type, you just need a basic coil, no ballast resistors etc.

Cheers

Degsy

• 5 weeks later...

Ok,

I am flipping well now a 12 volt man :-D

I most say chaps that this is one of the best things I have done on my GMC. I would recommend this to anyone, it fires up on the first turn of the engine :schocked: wow this is going to make my life so much easier!

Thanks to everyone for their advise and thanks to Oddball for his help :-)

Jack.

The man with a 12 volt Jimmy.......and this is just a start! (there is a joke in there somewhere :wink:)