Civilian Mk1 Militant

• 3 weeks later...

Back in April I had this bright idea to back the Militant up a bit to give me more room to paint the cab. As you know this didn't happen as the back brakes were seized on. Much later after many hours of graft in the shed I've finally managed to make some progress. So I thought I ought to down load the camera and record the happy events.

213 New brake kit.jpg

Complete rear brake kit, drums, shoes, hub seals etc

197 O-S old 1.jpg

217 O-S new 2.jpg

Before and after on the Off side

215 N-S new 2.jpg

Near side awaiting wheels

And finally, with great fanfare, excitement and cheering (well I was cheering), after 5 years IT MOVED:yay::dancinggirls:Start engine dip clutch engage gear and drive

222 Moved 2.jpg

Ok, so it was only a couple of yards accross the yard and back, but still progress. Last time it moved there was a tow truck involved :D:D:D

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
Replace Photos

Back to plan A now, painting the cab. Fortunately the weather has been good recently and much has been done.

226 O-S repair.jpg

227 N-S repair.jpg

230 N-S-R repair.jpg

Much tarting and final filling. I kept looking at bits and thinking it's sixty years old, bound to have a few dents, but then I want a good finish. How far do you go?

231 O-S-R repair.jpg

232 Masking assistant.jpg

Son Phil did help a bit with masking up

235 Primer.jpg

245 Primer.jpg

Says on the tin primer is light green!! This is about as green as it is going to get

Edited by Zero-Five-Two

In between all the brakes and painting, I put an ad in one of the vintage truck mags for Militant spares. 2 came out of the woodwork. The first one has now been cut up with major parts going to different places. I got a huge haul of small bits for mine all of which are helping to make it better.

186A Redhill donor 1.jpg

186C Remains of redhill donor.jpg

Sad end for the old girl really, but she did donate a lot of parts to keep various other Militants going.

I had been giving a fair bit of thought as to what to fit on the back in place of the hideous ballast box that was on there when I bought the thing, but I hadn't come up with an answer until I got a phonecall from a gent in Hampshire who had bought a Militant timber tractor many years ago to restore, but never got round to it and now he just wants rid.

So it looks like I'm having a timber crane conversion, if we can get it out of the trees

251 As found 1.jpg

255 As found 5.jpg

Needs a bit of work, floor boards and side planks have long since rotted away, but steel work seems ok. Looks like the top pulley has been cut off leaving the derrick a couple of feet short. Any suggestions??

Next question will be, once it's fitted can I get someone to teach me how to use it

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
Replace Photos

Must be a great feeling knowing that the open road is now in sight ! :-D:-D:-D:-D

Can't come soon enough, I keep watching Rob Crowthers videos and thinking "my turn soon" hopefully end of August or early September. The dream target is the end of season do at the Bunker as its first showing.

I had been giving a fair bit of thought as to what to fit on the back in place of the hideous ballast box that was on there when I bought the thing, but I hadn't come up with an answer until I got a phonecall from a gent in Hampshire who had bought a Militant timber tractor many years ago to restore, but never got round to it and now he just wants rid.

All looking very good Rob, just a suggestion, probably too late now, but what about a living/sleeping box with a Hiab behind it? Would make it a very useful tool.

All looking very good Rob, just a suggestion, probably too late now, but what about a living/sleeping box with a Hiab behind it? Would make it a very useful tool.

It's still quite a useful tool with the Atlas crane in front of the camper body, although the steering is a bit heavy!

Jules

Had thought about something like that, but I have a dislike for any form of camper or caravan, if I am staying out I much prefer a tent or under the stars. Not only that funds aren't exactly plentiful and timber rig was well within budget

Been fitting some of the brass plates to the inside of the cab.

172 Brass Plates.jpg

Got these 2 in the right place

But can't remember where this one goes, and for some reason I didn't take a photo of it before I took it off. Any one able to help?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48374[/ATTACH]

Can't find the photo of the chassis plate now (July 2014)but that's not the problem. The biggest laugh is, now I know where to mount the plate I can't find it!! Put it safe somewhere, and well?? It'll turn up some day

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
change text

• 1 month later...

Thought we were about due for an update on the old Militant and post some new photos. There has been some major events to report.

Biggest thing, been for a little drive round!! Well up the farm track and back, all of 200 yards or so, but enough distance for a couple of gear changes up and down, test the clutch and steering etc, all was good. Can't wait to get out on the road proper with it.

Having been offered the timber crane, all effort has gone into that and painting of the cab has been suspended for now. I collected the thing one saturday at the end of July, with a little help from a colleague with access to a flat bed with HIAB

260 Loading for transport home 1.jpg

It doesn't look as big like this

262 N-S -F view.jpg

Got a bit restricted for unloading space, back at the farm. I needed it on a hard standing to work on and later to fit to the Militant, so it ended up just inside the farm gate. Which, unfortunately left it in full view of the local "borrowers" and I had visions of half a dozen of them trying to lift it onto their Transit, one night.

When it was removed from the previous militant they couldn't get it off the end of the chassis, so they just cut the end of the chassis off, complete with rollers etc. So my first job was to cut these out. they are much smaller than mine, perhaps they came from a Matador? Easiest way to remove them, strip derrick etc off the base frame, turn frame over and break out the 9" grinder.

263 N-S-R view.jpg

265 O-S-R close up.jpg

282 Chassis rail painted.jpg

284 Old rollers removed 2.jpg

Rust scraped off at the same time, and nearly ready to fit.

Coffee break!! more photos in a bit

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
Replace missing photos

Round 2

To get enough room to lift the new frame onto my Militant, I had to move the old girl out the bullock yard which has been her residence of the last 5 years, and turn her round so that she could be reversed under the suspended frame. Of course, excitement took over and I just had to go for a little drive up and down the farm track.

Big grins all round :-D:-D:drive::-D:-D

Thought it even warranted a new avator of the new position

247 Escape from Bullock Yard 2.jpg

287 Bed fitting 1.jpg

After an hour or so of swanning up and down it was back to the serious business of loading the frame

Unfortunately a failure to operate a tape measure correctly led to this!!

288 Bed fitting 2.jpg

The cut out for the winch brake is in the wrong place. In my defence, I would say that as the frame came off the same type of Militant as mine I thought it would have fitted straight on. Oops!:red:

A bit of fast work with the grinder and things settled down nicely

289 Bed fitting 3.jpg

291 Bed fitting 5.jpg

Spot the blue string holding it down in the middle. Only temperary, mind, proper flitch plates being made up this week so come the weekend it should all be secured down and ready for the derrick to go on. Well pleased with things so far, but it has added to the work list, more rust to remove etc. At least I've got somewhere to hang the rear lights now!

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
Replace missing photos

Hi Rob looking good, how are your gear changes coming along? Forgot to mention, if you see one, I could do with a compressor for the militant, not desperate but on my list.

Hi Simon, Pleased to say gear changes have been as smooth as you like, much better than I did in yours :red: but that said, I've only been in low ratio so far.

I will keep my eyes open for a compressor. Does that mean you have got problems with yours? They are a standard Clayton item, and overhaul kits may still be available for them. I'll make some enquiries for you.

mine was full of sludge, I cleaned it out and turned the valves over in the head, (they were badly pitted and didn't seat properly)but I was thinking if I needed another compressor someday, where would I start?

It builds up air ok, but it spews a fair bit of oil out, this is probably normal, but I can't help thinking that some damage was done to it running on watery sludge rather than oil.

BTW I sorted the Scania, I put a new air dryer unloader valve on which was all self contained, don't know what the original problem was but the old unloader valve etc worked fine when tried on another coach. There must be something external to the original unloader that caused it to unload, the new one is all self contained as I said, and doesn't need whatever the external gubbins was. New one is still made by Haldex, but at £165 was a lot cheaper than trying to invetigate, and certainly cheaper than the £300 + for an original spec one.

• 4 months later...

Haven’t posted any thing on the blog recently because I’ve been having trouble with the computer. Couldn’t upload any pictures, and I didn’t think it was worth a load of writing with no pics to go with it. All seems sorted now, I have a new photo management programme, so here goes with this summers efforts.

It’s winter now and in case you haven’t noticed, it's usually too damn cold to do much truck work with any enthusiasm, and without certain parts of the anatomy dropping off with frostbite. Best place to be is in a nice warm pub with a pint, or several. What with that and Christmas sucking up all the money as well things are a bit slow at the moment.

Back in the sunshiny part of the year, part 2 of the timber crane was reshaped cleaned, de-rusted, painted and refitted. Had to cut it into two halves to make it more manageable for lifting and positioning on the truck. It helped having the loadall around for the actual lift.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54811[/ATTACH] Can't find this picture, Imagine a JCB Loadall lifting a lump of crane!

301 Backboard Paint.jpg

Crane Frame looked like this when fitted on

The old ballast box frame, which for the last 6 years has been dumped out of the way in the corner of the sheep field, was dug up and taken apart for recycling.

36 Old ballast box frame.jpg

346 Tool Bin Base.jpg

It provided much needed steel for mounting brackets, and support struts under the crane cradle. Not only that, there is enough left to make the framework for a tool bin to fit behind the spare wheel carrier.

Which, incidentally, I still need. Got a spare wheel now, just need the carrier to hang it on. Missed one that was on ebay a couple of months back, and now I'm kicking myself for not grabbing it with both hands. Still, I have had a couple of valuable leads from members of this forum and hopefully come the new year we will get sorted with one.

246 Primer.jpg

Finally finished the cab paintwork, much rubbing down and filling went on and eventually a second coat of primer.

It has quite a good finish now, ready for the top coat which a friend has agreed to spray in his paint shop after Christmas, All I've got to do is drive the 40 miles down to his place. But there is tons of other stuff to be done before then.

Most of the outstanding jobs were waiting for the crane base to be finished for things like somewhere to mount the rear lights, so the wiring can be finished. I haven't completely disregarded the original specifications but sometimes a modern equivalent is much better. For instance the rear junction box. The original one had long since rusted away, and the collection of scotch locks that was fitted when I bought it had to go.

38 Rear Junction Box.jpg

Modern replacement came courtesy Scania is 100% waterproof and looks the part as well.

299B Rear Junction Box.jpg

Also fitted a couple of modern fuse boxes under the dash to help protect individual circuits, Plus hazard and fog lights, which aren't original I know but a good idea these days. I love the before and after pics can't believe the difference sometimes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94181[/ATTACH]

Finally a light test in the dark. They'll see me coming from the front, but I'm not too sure about the rear. One pair of tail lights doesn't seem enough on a truck this big. It will get a hi-viz long vehicle sign , but I'm toying with the idea of another pair of red markers out on the edges.

319 Light Test.jpg

321 Light Test.jpg

In between all this the daily driver Toyota got jealous of all the attention the Militant was getting and spat its gearbox out one afternoon in September. So all plans changed, we had to stop the Militant and do the Toyota. Went for the whole job though, new box, new prop shaft, new cam belt, oil change, filters plus a few body repairs and a respray.

Not only that, I valeted the cab, fixed the radio, and even bought an air freshener. Somehow I’ve managed to stop myself smoking while driving the old girl!! Poor old love didn't know what hit her, she has never had it so good.

Latest job on the list has been the front brakes having their turn. The last major component overhaul to be done before venturing out onto the highway. Both sides were well seized and full of cobwebs, just like the rears were. I was surprised they are only small compared to the rears, no wonder Militants have a bad reputation for stopping!

308 N-S-F-Hub.jpg

311 N-S Hub.jpg

Once again I had to call on the advice of forum members for how to remove the hubs etc, and as normal there was several knowledgeable replies with sound advice. Thanks guys for the info, all good stuff.

The blowing exhaust silencer has been sorted once and for all. I am told it came from a JCB fasttrack. It is roughly the right size and shape as the original, but the inlet was considerably bigger than the Militant pipe, hence the blow, and the tailpipe about 3” too long. A couple of hours work in the shed with the welder and it all fitted together with a nice bit of flexi in between.

Father Christmas turned up with a set of period number plates, and very nice they are too. So they’ll be going on next week along with the tax disc, to finish off the legal requirements.

323 Number plates.jpg

More pics and blog to follow next week

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
Replace missing photos

The wife was digging about in the photo cupboard the other day and came accross these. I had forgotten even taking them. This is 2006 only a few days after collecting the Militant. Herself came down to the farm to see what I had spent all the money on. Quality is not that good, I've had to run them through the scanner, but worth looking at for the awful ballast box

16 Test Drive 2 Nov 06.jpg

17 Test drive Nov 06.jpg

18 Truck and her 2006.jpg

19 Truck and Her 2006.jpg

20 Off side rear 2006.jpg

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
Replace missing photos