Antenna Base Identification

andym

A quick newbie question on FV432 antenna bases. I recognise the usual large Racal mounting in the rear of the picture, but what's the one in the foreground with a BNC connector?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

IMG_1318aw.jpg

Thanks both - I've found a Ferret Clansman thread where it's also referred to as an external connector. It just seems rather over-engineered for that, with the size of thread I'd have expected to see some sort of whip antenna screwed onto it!

Andy

The large thread is for the armoured cover to be placed on when not in use, my has the cover on

Paul

All three of mine have covers, I just took one off for the picture. I thought the thread seemed over-engineered for a simple cover and assumed it also served as a mounting of some kind.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

The official name of that size of connector is a 'type C' connector. It is much larger than the BNC type. Generally they are for VHF as when using a 'pineapple' on a mast to increase the vehicles std Clansman 353 range. But they can also be used to feed ti an HF set from a Di-pole or end feed as long as the necessary steps are taken to reduce signal leakage.

At each radio mounting point, if you still have your loom in place you will probably have two bnc ended aerial leads. one goes to the aerial mounting point and one to the neighbouring type C jumper. The idea being you can choose vehicle or remote aerials at the radio just by changing a lead.

Looking at the radios in a three set, set-up they are designated; top left-A, Bottom Left-B & bottom Right-C. The 432 aerial mounts are front right-A, rear Left-B and rear Right-C.

hope this helps.

Don