Unidentified chassis, possibly WW1.

And still they turn up !. These images were forwarded to me by London's Transport Museum recently for possible identification, which they have so far defied. Very unusual feature is the curved front cross member which would also possibly form part of a flexible three point engine mounting. I think other cross members are missing but the rear axle looks complete and is crown wheel and pinion or shaft and bevel rather than worm drive. Am I missing the obvious ?. It is not necessarily an ex. WD chassis but of the period of general interest.

Richard Peskett.

Unidentified chassis 2.jpg

Unidentified chassis 1.jpg

agreed it had to have been used for a base of a building the remaining wood blocks would have been the cross beams for the flooring and the concrete blocks likely the enterance steps or corner blocks for the same building as out lined by the missing grass , perhaps the original hut or structure was smaller and then enlarged hence the corner blocks ?

Edited by abn deuce

Richard, my first guess would be Belsize. A better view of the rear axle - especially the wheel hubs - would help me to confirm. The front axle wasn't particularly elegant - they were dead straight. So a better view of that would help as well.

Normally you wouldn't see the front cross member as it would have been covered by the radiator, which is why it may not be the easiest thing in the world to ID.

From memory there used to be a Belsize chassis at the Whitewebbs museum at Enfield.

Looks ok to me, Tim. Okay the tow hooks are missing, but there are two holes on the upper sides of the irons just where the brackets for the brush guard sat; and which I've not seen on charas for example. Let's wait for Richard to post some better pictures.

I've been trying to find some info on the Whitewebbs' chassis but am failing at the moment. Do you have something? They do, of course, have "Madelaine" the Belsize fire engine as well. Perhaps this is a good home for this new find?

Oh, are you turning into your dad?

Well done chaps, pleased to see you have not been wasting time this weekend !!. Yes I agree that it is most probably a Belsize, quite a rare survivor. The front wheels, dumb irons especially the two bolts to the upper face, king pin covers all match up with the attached photo. Rear spring hangers would seem to differ but looking at this one I am not surprised they were changed. I will try to find out from LTM its whereabouts etc. As an aside our local bus company the Aldershot and District bought several in late 1914 /15 as replacements for Daimlers taken by the WD, some recieved the bodywork from the Daimlers and others were lorries used on WD contract work in the area.

Richard Peskett.

Belsize.jpg

I question as to it being a Belsize.

When the photos are enlarged a couple of points are noticeable. The rear chassis tapper on the b&w photo starts forwarded of the rear spring hanger and the spring hanger itself is a thin almost dainty piece with the spring directly under the chassis rail.

The colour prints show a far heavier spring mounting, rounded in nature and protruding down the side of the chassis rail. The images would suggest the spring is mounted outside of the chassis rail width. When enlarging further clarity is not clear.

The tapper on the garden chassis commences back further.

Noting the similarities as previously given for the front end, could it be two different models, years or such.

Doug

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...