Vehicle's of the Falklands War

juddy

And here is another Land Rover quite likely a GJ registration with a board across the front possible saying "Military Police"?

What do you think?

R

Can be sort of accurate dated (roof repairs).

The "Military Police" plate red on white background - I have one with a ref. number (reflective).

Also I have the same but reversible with red letters on black background (active service) - can't find it just now but IIRC both sides reflective and current type.

Also I have one with original reflective red on whit background BUT the reverse side has has black vinyl covering and then very neat red die-cut transfer letters (red) applied - so it seems modified reversible to red on black "active-service". So when (year date please) did red letters on black background originate ?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superb photos, but, as usual, NO registrations showing on any of the CVRTs!!

The Falklands Scorpions and Scimitars have always interested me, mostly because they're probably still out there somewhere - the Scorps having been converted to Sabres and then sold by Withams.

I suppose the only way to find out which ones went to the Falklands is to trawl through every Scorpion record and hope for the best.

There may be a chance that they were converted to Sabres and sold though Withams, but it would be a slim chance. Less than half the Scorpions were converted to Sabres, and only half the Sabres went to Withams. The record cards don't seem to have much info on them either, they always list the units the vehicle was assigned to, but only occasionally list the operations.

Chris

there is a photo severn s3 landrovers and a soft top and one lightweight on the deck off the qe2 on the 12 may and also two bedford mk and a bedford rl wrecker on a mexe float in the marshallscavendish the falkland war and armouor playing on accension sbefore deployment to the falklands and pitures of the same being usedin the war

These were not unlike the problems with which Regiment LAA flights and squadrons had encountered in Operations Torch and Husky almost forty years earlier

It was only at his funeral a few years ago I discovered that my uncle had driven a Bofors-towing truck of 25 LAA across three D-Day invasion beaches, into Sicily, Italy and Normany.

Such a quiet, unassuming man. So many questions I can never now ask him.

There are other photos and accounts. Here is one more picture.

The CVR(T) and BV 202 are very close after the end of the war.

There is an account of 3 Wombat fitted Land Rovers belonging to the Paras being loaded to the ELK.

R

falklands bv + cvrt.jpg

Edited by robin craig

There are other photos and accounts. Here are a few more pictures.

The CVR(T) and BV 202 are very close after the end of the war.

The Eager Beaver is about a month after.

There is an account of 3 Wombat fitted Land Rovers belonging to the Paras being loaded to the ELK.

R

I do wish it was possible to get the reg of the Eager Beaver, but its just not possible! I can't rule it out as being my one!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Heres some scanned pics of vehicles used in the war..

Kit on its way down, unsure of ship......

DPFP016-01.jpg

ActionStns.jpg

The colour photo is RFA Sir Tristram with 29 CDO RA in San Carlos Water on 21 May 1982.

The black & white is RFA Sir Lancelot with 59 Ind Cdo Sqn RE on 21 or 22 May.

Very few of these went ashore as the terrain was unsuitable.

And I don't recall giving you permission to pinch them from my website!

Off topic I know but just wondering how the POW's were dealt with after the war? Not like they could just walk home 300 miles off shore was it? Don't remember hearing much about it after the war ended but I was only young at the time.

There were some 11,800 to be repatriated. The first 4000 were taken by Canberra to Puerto Madryn, Argentina, on 19 June and the remainder were returned by other ships by 14 July.

wasn't there only the one Chinook at falklands the others having gone down with the overloaded atlantic conveyor and spare harriers. Claimed record sinlge lift of 80+standing room only.

No Harriers were lost, they disembarked around 19/20 May. And I doubt she was overloaded.

Edited by Lancastrian

There were some 11,800 to be repatriated. The first 4000 were taken by Canberra to Puerto Madryn, Argentina, on 19 June and the remainder were returned by other ships by 14 July.

One of the Ships was MV Norland belonginnging to North sea Ferries. The POWs were transported back on the main cardeck. They were fed and washed on upper decks. When the first batch were summuned up they refused a few questions and it was found that they believed they were to be throw overboard. I did a lot of work on North Sea Ferries and got to know some of the crew who travelled to the Falklands with her

• 11 months later...

The subject of the CVRTs used in the conflict has always been made difficult because none of the ARNs appear on the front of the vehicles having been painted over.

I have spent quite a while trolling this forum to make sure I am not going to post something that is already known.

So here I go, this picture is a hint at the identity of one of the vehicles used, shame the last digit isnt visible

So it could be anything from 06 FD 90 to 99

Hope you get something out of it.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205189446

Robin

• 1 year later...

Hi, does anyone on this forum own a BV 202, I am writing an account of the last three days of the Falklands war with 3 Para, the last chapter concerns the medical and evacuation, a lot of our wounded were evacuated in BV's, I wonder if someone owns a BV 202, would be possible to take a photograph of the inside of rear trailer, to illustrate what the conditions were like inside, as strechers and the various wounded personnel were crammed inside, I was casevact in such a manner, but my face was covered with shell dressings, any help would be greatly appreciated, bye for now Jimmy

ALEC1 001.jpg

• 1 year later...
Hi, does anyone on this forum own a BV 202, I am writing an account of the last three days of the Falklands war with 3 Para, the last chapter concerns the medical and evacuation, a lot of our wounded were evacuated in BV's, I wonder if someone owns a BV 202, would be possible to take a photograph of the inside of rear trailer, to illustrate what the conditions were like inside, as strechers and the various wounded personnel were crammed inside, I was casevact in such a manner, but my face was covered with shell dressings, any help would be greatly appreciated, bye for now Jimmy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78138[/ATTACH]

Yes,

we can help with that. What pictures would you like?

Nick CWC Canada

• 6 months later...

The Scorpion that was takenout by the landmine was never fixed, the RH final drive was destroyed and thehull was breached causing the engine sump to crack, deemed beyond local repair, the tracks were removed and it was towed on the hollebones to conflict end, and back to the UK where it was scrapped, the gun still being serviceable, also there were 2 CET's and 2 BARV's that sailed on the MV ELK