Stolly sort of swimming, trouble getting out.

gritineye

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They didn't even break out the fishing tackle!

If anyone thought wire rope breakages are quite safe, it's worth replaying that bit and pondering how one guy managed to keep his head......

There's another whacky one on the bottom set of clips, Bernard, where a Stolly leaps off a high bank into the water :banana:

I was rooted to the seat watching it first drop in, expected it to just fill up with water, looked great fun. Great to see it climb out but don't let the insurance companies see that footage :) At least at Beltring you've got the bigger stuff to move the big stuff.

Who the hell was running that recovery operation? All those people standing right next to the recovery, blokes virtually standing over the wire rope, snapped wire or strop that nearly takes the heads off the people that are standing in the Stolly directly in the line of sight for the snapped rope... Unbelievable. The R.E.M.E. should use that video to show what NOT to do in recovery operations.

Who the hell was running that recovery operation? All those people standing right next to the recovery, blokes virtually standing over the wire rope, snapped wire or strop that nearly takes the heads off the people that are standing in the Stolly directly in the line of sight for the snapped rope... Unbelievable. The R.E.M.E. should use that video to show what NOT to do in recovery operations.

Exactly, that's why I suggested the lot of 'em were brain dead.

Yeah, it really is a bunch of mad hatters there!

And I never thought that the stolly actually floats! What sort of propulsion does it make use of, especially when turning so sharp? With 6 spinning locked wheels, it surely cannot turn that sharp?

proves how damn fine the stolly is in all sorts of situations, there may be many people who put themselves in the face of danger but they had fun...and watching a stolly get in the water like that is nothing short of amazing...scary, and maybe a bit dangerous but amazing all the same...

I admire them for having a go and everything working out...would be good to maybe tell them that there are a few better ways of doing things like that, it may help them and people watching in the future, but calling them names doesnt help at all.....

I would say that you entry place was untested...this could have been dangerous, it was cerrtainly too steep for a really safe entry even though one was successfully accomplished...the rive activity was fine, but do be aware that a stolly which is in shallow water can tip over and sink very quickly if one side of its wheels hit a bank under water...it is recommended that the wheels be braked when in the water to stop it riding up onto such banks.

Exiting the water using a second vehicles is a sound idea and likely to be a better option on such a steep bank than the self recovery winch fitted...but it is always a good idea to have access to the fixed points prior to entry to facilitate attachment of said cables when needed.....and i am sure there is a good deal more that could be said that is helpful...hope they post on here...

It was a hemp rope Tony.

Is that a defence ? A hemp rope coming at you at that speed will still do you some damage, the bloke in the back seems to get a whack with the flailing end.

In the clasified section on this forum the owner of this vehicle now has a wanted ad for the correct recovery ropes and a winch cable, so I presume that the Stalwart's own self recovery winch has no cable on it. Even if it did have it would require at least the use of 2 snatch blocks to get it up that bank without the pressure relief blowing off.

proves how damn fine the stolly is in all sorts of situations, there may be many people who put themselves in the face of danger but they had fun...and watching a stolly get in the water like that is nothing short of amazing...scary, and maybe a bit dangerous but amazing all the same...

I admire them for having a go and everything working out...would be good to maybe tell them that there are a few better ways of doing things like that, it may help them and people watching in the future, but calling them names doesnt help at all.....

I would say that you entry place was untested...this could have been dangerous, it was cerrtainly too steep for a really safe entry even though one was successfully accomplished...the rive activity was fine, but do be aware that a stolly which is in shallow water can tip over and sink very quickly if one side of its wheels hit a bank under water...it is recommended that the wheels be braked when in the water to stop it riding up onto such banks.

Exiting the water using a second vehicles is a sound idea and likely to be a better option on such a steep bank than the self recovery winch fitted...but it is always a good idea to have access to the fixed points prior to entry to facilitate attachment of said cables when needed.....and i am sure there is a good deal more that could be said that is helpful...hope they post on here...

Words fail me, it's pointless going over everything they did wrong when you take that attitude.

I think it's appalling to call someone brain dead or say they have "no Brains" If someone said that about me i would be highly offended. Sometimes i really wonder about this forum.

It's very easy to sit and watch a video several times then spout off about what they should have done and how not to do it. I watched it and saw a bunch of blokes pulling a truck out of a river and the rope snapped. I thought "bloomin heck" but had no urge to criticize and insult anyone. I have done lots of winching and lifting of big stuff and equipment has failed and cables have snapped.

Only person who had to be in danger was the man driving the stolly sat directly in line with the winch cable. one man to operate the scammell and one man to direct the "operation" (Not sure when dragging a truck from a river becomes an operation but hey ho) all the other people chose to be there. all that needed to be said was to move back or clear the area. If i had been there i would also have stood in the trees and watched the "operation" as it seems the safest place at 90 degrees to the line of pull with lots of solid objects to offer protection.

There rant over i shal now wait to be insulted:-)

P.s took me bloomin ages to write this so there might have been a load of new posts since i started:blush:

I think it's appalling to call someone brain dead or say they have "no Brains" If someone said that about me i would be highly offended. Sometimes i really wonder about this forum.

It's very easy to sit and watch a video several times then spout off about what they should have done and how not to do it. I watched it and saw a bunch of blokes pulling a truck out of a river and the rope snapped. I thought "bloomin heck" but had no urge to criticize and insult anyone. I have done lots of winching and lifting of big stuff and equipment has failed and cables have snapped.

Only person who had to be in danger was the man driving the stolly sat directly in line with the winch cable. one man to operate the scammell and one man to direct the "operation" (Not sure when dragging a truck from a river becomes an operation but hey ho) all the other people chose to be there. all that needed to be said was to move back or clear the area. If i had been there i would also have stood in the trees and watched the "operation" as it seems the safest place at 90 degrees to the line of pull with lots of solid objects to offer protection.

There rant over i shal now wait to be insulted:-)

P.s took me bloomin ages to write this so there might have been a load of new posts since I started:blush:

was my point too but I was not as direct as you were...freedom of speech should be upheld though and having the right to say these things, ie people expressing their opinions, is just as important as the fact that we all (mnost of us) know it is rude and vulgar to say those direct insult sort of things and actually not at all helpful...so better not said really...