A great week that could have ended so tragically

Lord Burley

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For your information....

The guy appeared in court at Sevenoaks Magistrates on Thu 24th March, he pleaded guilty to one offence of negligently causing an aircraft to endanger persons and property, was fined £2500 and ordered to pay £550 costs.

I have withheld his name for legal reasons

Keith

I'm very surprised this chap has managed to keep hold of his licence.

If you can afford to own this type of machinary - the fine is pathetic.

It's similar to Fergie when he recieves a touch line ban and £10k fine for bad mouthing referees.

At least he admitted his stupidity and I doubt he will be so foolish again.

I would have thought the CAA would have least made him re-sit the Aviation Law exam as he obviously doesn't fully understand the basic principles.

Markheliops

I have withheld his name for legal reasons

Keith

Quite happy to publish it here, as stated in the news..

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/news/welcome-danger-pilot/article-3395792-detail/article.html

A negligent pilot who put people's lives at risk at one of the area's biggest events will be free to exhibit there again this summer.

Glynn Williams, 56, left onlookers fleeing for safety as his helicopter spun frantically round while trying to take off at last year's War and Peace Show at the Hop Farm.

But despite his actions landing him with a criminal record and a £3,065 fine, Williams has not been barred from flying.

Speaking on behalf of the War and Peace Show, Pete Cook said: "His punishment is the fine, not to be banned from the show."

This was posted on another forum by Greg Cottee.

i would like to confirm that i too recieved the letter and i can assure you all that the helicopter will not be on our field ..This is not to say that he will not be at the show but rest assured the living history team are all aware of the situation and he will not be allowed to display on the living history field .As far as I am concerned this is a closure to this subject....it has been dealt with by the authorities and a result has been achieved,,,therefore if you dont agree with it then contact your local branch of the A-Team...

greg cottee

living history God....

war and peace show.

• 1 month later...

Wow!!

I had not seen that before and was not there, but I have been involved with helicopters for nearly 20 years with the RAF and civil operators in various locations etc and have not seen anything so stupid.

I have seen helicopters crash and the aftermath, ie Wessex, Puma and Gazell. It is obvious that not many people in the area were aware of the danger. The energy that is dissipated if any of the blades touch is enormouse and in this case the blades etc would have desimated the area and could have traveled far, the result would have been a disaster.

:shocked:

As it says somewhere above the gentleman has been shown the error of his ways by his peers and has been convicted. Nobody died the potential for a death or serious injury was there but hes been convicted thats the end off it.

If anyone out there hasn't screwed up at some point shout up won't you and tell everyone how boring you're life is for having know experience of life.

What would you have done? Shot him down?

:D You have a point there! I'd probably have raged impotently and incoherently from somewhere inside the dust cloud!

All joking apart, I imagine being present at the time would have been a seriously unpleasant experience - particluarly if you'd had young family membes with you. I've no doubt that some of the "spectators" would have cheerfully throttled him if they'd been able to!

Still, as has been mentioned above, he has faced the authorities and been penalised as they have seen fit. End of.

Glen.

• 2 weeks later...