101 AB markings

Chappers

Should Chappers fit a No 7 Set to his GMC 352?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should Chappers fit a No 7 Set to his GMC 352?

• Wouldn't leave home without it
    • I would stay at home if I had one fitted!
    • Are you nuts, it's the latest bling!
    • Chappers, do what you want to do!
    • Leave it off or you will never hear the end of it from Degsy and Karoshi!

Question

Hi guy's ,I'm getting to the stage in the rebuild of my 352 and was wondering if anyone could tell me what markings I should put on my truck.After rubbing the bumpers down I came across several 101AB's so I'd like it to be a 101AB truck,my little group of re-enactors portray the 501st pir 101AB, Would the unit have had Trucks??and if so What markings would they have had on both Jeeps or Trucks.The 352 is going to have a No.7 set in the back so maybe 101 AB engineers????.I also have a 353 and would like that painted up to match.

Any help would be appriciated

Regards

Steve

12 answers to this question

Hi Chappers can I ask why you are fitting a #7 set in a 352 when you have a 353 as I am sure you are aware it seems to have been the French post war who fitted #7 sets into 352s. As I'm sure you know the 352 was built as a gun tractor and with odd exceptions that was it's main use so more historically accurate markings would be for a field artillery regt. I don't think the engineers used the #7 set, it's main purpose was as a light recovery vehicle or repair vehicle ie hoisting engines etc and as such would have been issued to Ordnance Repair units. Perhaps Karoshi can confirm or modify my comments.

Degsey, I'd love to be able to say with certainty that it didn't happen, I can only say that at after some years of searching, I can't confirm that it did!

On the airborne thing remember, that just because a vehicles bore the AB markings it doesn't necessarily mean it was at any time actually "airborne". Could well possibly have been attached.

Hi Karoshi, I know we've been through #7 set and 352 before and probably will do so again ad infinitum but your comments regarding attached units confirms exactly what I meant, I just didn't put it very well. :oops: :-) Even British units were attached on occasion, during the fighting after Arnhem 61st Recon Regt were attached to the 101st in the area known as 'The Island'.

O.k fellas so what your saying is Don't put the No 7 set in the 352 ,it would be more suited to the 353. The reason behind putting the No7 in the 352 is I'm restoring it at the moment and need new Canvas, so as I have already brought the No7 set, I could have the rear canvas's made to suit a 352 with No 7set. I've also seen pictures of the No7 set mounted in 352's and they look great.

http://maquettegarden.free.fr/Vehicules/GMC%20lot%207/gkgal.htm

http://www.bedford.rijdt.nl/homepage/show/pagina.php?paginaid=66165

The reason behind the 101 AB markings is thats what I found under the paint on the front and rear bumpers, several 101 AB's so I'd like to keep them if I could.

Can I find out anything via hood numbers????.

I Will have to decide this week what markings I'm going to use and if at all I install the No7 set in the 352. looking at the rear floor it looks like there has been something bolted in the same sort of place's as the No 7 set bolt holes??.

As it's been pointed out to me before the 352 I've got should have had a closed cab but is an open cab,so I can't keep it original.

Maybe we should have a pole on it wether to install the No7 set or not ,101 AB markings or not and I'll go with the majority decision :-) :-).

Thanks for the replies Can anyone decide for me!!!!!! :|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|

Seen a Airborne GMC, its got a chassis which makes it possible to "break" the vehicle in 2 pieces!

I also know of one ,which i believe is on jacks wish list and he has at least discussed prices be for rattling his piggy bank :-)

Ashley