Two man chainsaw

Degsy

A friend has asked me to value the above and as I haven't the faintest idea perhaps someone on here will be able to help. the saw is Villiers engined , WD issue dated 1944 and it is described as having a pair of handlebars with throttle control lever rather like a motorcycle. It is apparently hidden away in the back of a shed at present but he has promised to clear the shed and get the saw out so I can take pics to put up on here. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

A friend has asked me to value the above and as I haven't the faintest idea perhaps someone on here will be able to help. the saw is Villiers engined , WD issue dated 1944 and it is described as having a pair of handlebars with throttle control lever rather like a motorcycle. It is apparently hidden away in the back of a shed at present but he has promised to clear the shed and get the saw out so I can take pics to put up on here. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Degsy,

I have a feeling that it might be a Danarm, they were produced in wartime and had Villiers engines.

Whilst i can not help value it, i would like it, if is complete and has any chance of working....

Ken

Hi Ken, from what he says it seems to be complete and should work although it has been standing for many years. I will be buying it off him which is why I was asking for a valuation so as to be fair to both of us. I haven't decided yet whether to keep it or sell it on but will certainly keep you posted.

Regards

Deryck

thanks for the link Tony.

As I said I haven't seen it yet but I would assume it is one of those. When I asked him about length of bar all he could say was that it was big, apparently it's been stuck away in the back of his shed and he hasn't seen it for years.

I was wondering what you had to cut that required a 7 foot bar. :-D Does confirm the WD link though. I wonder if Clive has the specification somewhere in his collection?

Jungle trees.:D. Clive might have some info, I'll speak to him when he gets back from W&P

The chainsaw has now been sold and will be collected next week. The reason so little is known about these saws is that they were manufactured under the strictest secrecy. There was no Danarm model no for them and no Danarm parts books, operaters or workshop manuals. The part numbers were supplied by the WD and any manuals which may have existed were WD issue. Because of secrecy no records of any sort were kept by T.H. & J. Daniels the manufacturers. The designer was J. Clubley Armstrong who approached the company in 1941 to manufacture his design hence the name Danarm.

Thanks for those links Willys, I have spent in excess of 30 hrs searching the internet on this but there is no real information on this particular model for the previously mentioned reason.

I have spoken to Mary Blanch who is the wife of the Managing director and she came back to me today. She was expecting to be able to find copies of parts books and manuals and was unaware until she checked that these had been built in such secrecy. I am hoping that she may be able to find out a little more from previous employees. The saw is going to a very good home where it will receive the TLC it needs and hopefully will become part of a working display. It is very complete and with a thorough strip down and clean up I am pretty confident that it will be seen running before too long.

Deryck

• 1 year later...

Dunno if it'll be any helpat all?....... but .......

there is /was a very similar one in the Dean Heritage Museum at Soudley down here in the Forest of Dean a while back.....they had a pair of them on display a few years ago for a special exhibition on the local timber industry through the years....and I think ....both saws were on loan from the Forestry Commision.....believe it or not.....the other one they had on display would actually make yours look...'small' !!!!

As I recall they were issued to Pioneer Units based down here in the early war years to assist in the timber cutting.....I'm sure the folk at the Msueum would be happy to pass on any info they may have.....might shed a bit of light on things?.... you never know?..