David Brown Taskmaster

HWade

I have a David Brown taskmaster to repaint. Does anybody have any pics showing the correct colours it should be, the colours at the moment are a blue with a yellow bonnet. I thought that the RAF used a more of a grey blue in the early days. Can any body help.

Thanks

Howard

I managed to get the date and the owner said it was built in 1950s. I have seen some pics of them painted in more of what they call a blue/grey rather than a blue. I will post a pic tomorrow when I get to the workshop.

Thanks everybody for your help so far.

Howard

I managed to get the date and the owner said it was built in 1950s. I have seen some pics of them painted in more of what they call a blue/grey rather than a blue. I will post a pic tomorrow when I get to the workshop.

Thanks everybody for your help so far.

Howard

Howard,

Perhaps it was used on a Fleet Air Arm station? I think they used vehicles painted in dark blue same as Royal Navy, at one time.

Hello Richard

Thanks for that Its not a dark blue, but its more of a blue than grey, you will see what i mean when i take a good picture of it. I do have one pic i can post now of one of the front wings, this gives you a rough idea of the colour.

Thanks Howard

tug 004.jpg

Hello Richard

Thanks for that Its not a dark blue, but its more of a blue than grey, you will see what i mean when i take a good picture of it. I do have one pic i can post now of one of the front wings, this gives you a rough idea of the colour.

Thanks Howard

OK Howard, can see the photo and it looks like RAF Blue Grey, but I am sure Ted will come along and give you all the info you require re. this as he is ex-RAF MT

A friend used to have what I believe was called a Tugmaster - a lwb DB with fluid flywheel and lots of ballast weights . That was finished more of a grey blue but it was fifties vintage so probably a different colour scheme by then .

The Tugmaster was built by Douglas using a David Brown skid unit but also incorporating parts from other tractor manufacturers,IIRC the steering was Fordson derived.

As far as I know the Wartime tug was the tugmaster. Some had a fluid flywheel, others had conventional clutch. Some were built with a winch others didn't have winch, just a multiheight towhitch. The fluid flywheel models were for towing the four engine heavies, Halifax/ Lancaster/ Lincoln. The conventional clutch, lighter aircraft and bomb trollies.

Basically it was a David Brown VIG tractor. (Industrial/ Gasoline powered.)

Edited by antarmike

As far as I know the Wartime tug was the tugmaster. Some had a fluid flywheel, others had conventional clucth. Some were built with a winch others didn't have winch, just a multiheight towhitch. The fluid flywheel models were for towing the four engine heavies, Halifax/ Lancaster/ Lincoln. The conventional clutch, lighter aircraft and bomb trollies.

Basically it was a David Brown VIG tractor. (Industrial/ Gasoline powered.)

From my research on this subject David Brown were known correctly as Tractor, Light, 4X2. The torque converter model was VIG.1/462, there were 3 models with conventional 3x2 gearbox, AW100, AW500 and VIG1/100. Post war there was a diesel powered David Brown Taskmaster fitted with torque converter and dry twin plate clutch.

It may be that although all the David Browns are now known as Taskmasters that was not the original name in general usage. Many people now call GMC CCKW's deuce and a halve's

but this term was not used during WW11 and only came into use with the advent of the M35 trucks post war, perhaps a similar thing has happened with the David Brown Taskmaster. The name Tugmaster was definitely used post war by Douglas.

This is all interesting stuff, according to the owner it was used by the 617 Squadron, I will look into this more and see if I can get it confirmed. Here are a few more pics.This model has a standard foot clutch.

Thanks Howard

tug1 003.jpg

tug1 005.jpg

tug1 004.jpg

This is all interesting stuff, according to the owner it was used by the 617 Squadron, I will look into this more and see if I can get it confirmed. Here are a few more pics.This model has a standard foot clutch.

Thanks Howard

The two RAF Roundel blues (used at different times) are also part of BS 381C color range

Hello Degsy

Yep I am getting there slowly, got to get stencils tomorrow, I have managed to get two new rear tyres, having the old ones removed tomorrow so i can blast the rear wheels. I have got the front wheels done, along with the air filter, side panels and the bonnet. I have painted the bonnet yellow at the customers request, but I would have left it all one colour see what you think. I may have all of that back on tomorrow, depending how i get on. I have a new Blasting bay being installed so I have to Juggle work inbetween the contractors fitting the Biulding.

Thanks

Howard

Here's a picture of it taken in natural light and before you took it to pieces!!!

DSC_0157-1.jpg

This was at Rougham Airshow last August along with 'Allistair Kaye' heading home on a low level sortie back to Duxford. You can certainly get an idea of just how blue it was before Howard started on the repaint.

Out of interest, why is it that every ex-RAF military vehicle that seems to have survived WWII was either the personal run-around of Douglas Bader or Jonnie Johnson or served its time in 617 Squadron !

I guess that the Air Ministry must have scrapped all the other vehicles from the many thousands of other Squadron's that they had in operation throughout the world at the end of hostilities............and while i'm on my soapbox, have you ever thought it strange that out of all the derelict WWII airfields in the country, the sole hangar that remains on the airfield is always the one that Glenn Miller played his concert in - Never the one the farmer tore down in 1957 !

Rant over.....

Looking good Howard.

Edited by M5Clive

I will add to your rant; if it really has to be 617 Sqn the marking for 617 should be B/5 B Bomber Command 5 for 5 Group of which 617 were part. Sqn numbers were not permitted in the UK.

A bit like the "dressing up brigade" who all wear medals they are not entitled to wear and all want to be commisioned officers !!

end of my rant

TED

Hi Howard, got to say I agree with everything Clive and Ted have said. As regards the bonnet colour I personally much prefer the 'blue all over' look. I'm sure Ted will be able to advise you much better than I can on correct colours but I have seen pics of tractors with yellow bonnets post war I haven't seen a wartime one. As a child soon after the war I regularly visited RAF airfields with my father but the only vehicle I can remember with any yellow on it was one of the Matador 6 wheel bowsers. It is now 60 years ago so I could well be wrong but thats just how I remember things. I don't want to mislead you so I hope Ted can correct me if my memory is faulty.

Hello Clive/Degsy/Ted.

Thanks for putting on the picture of the David brown. A question for Ted am I right in saying that the marking on the front should be B/5 this meaning 617 squadron part of bomber command. With regards to the colour of the bonnet because the tug was biult in the 50s would it not have had a yellow bonnet. I agree with Degsy if it was mine I would have it all one colour. But as the owner wants a yellow bonnet then i have to do what he asks for.and as he has another tug inline for a repaint, I had better do as he asks.

Thanks

Howard

Hi Howard, I think you have misunderstood Ted. RAF vehicles did not carry a squadron marking. All vehicles would be marked according to the Group that operated them so since 617 were part of 5 Group Bomber Command the marking would, as Ted says, be B/5.

Deryck