bought myself a diesel zil

Could not resist it, I am converting three of them so wanted to get an overall idea of other peoples methods for conversion, this is a good one but I think I can improve it and also improve on my installations with the knowledge I have of the install...what I am unaware of though is how the the truck will run so easily up to 60 and 70 mph, with the normal transfer box and only 2700 rpm when the zil engine will run up to 3700 to achieve similar speeds....

Either the eaton 5 speed gearbox is not geared 1:1 or it has had its transfer box changed...if they just fitted a slightly smaller main drive cog in the gearbox it would work a treat...but as i say i will have to do a bit more investigation......(well my boys will)

It is fitted with a crane but I think this will need new seals...

Any details available, Paul? Is it one of the Perkins Phaser conversions?

Not sure about Eaton, but similar capacity Turner boxes had option of direct or overdrive top gear, so you'd need to check Eaton box spec to be sure what you have got.

Alternatively you could turn the engine over one rev. with box in top gear and see how the gearbox output shaft turns by comparison.

no its the ubiquitous Cummins 6BTA diesel engine...lovely engine if a bit gutless...but better than the zil petrol engine which is truly gutless below 2000 rpm...

i always though the six speed boxes were the overdrive design but I may be wrong as first on this is low but not a crawler gear and second is too high to start off in...

.....I always though the six speed boxes were the overdrive design but I may be wrong as first on this is low but not a crawler gear and second is too high to start off in...

With the Turner 5 speed you have a choice of crawler gear (start off in 2nd) and direct top, or 'start off in 1st' and overdrive top, with 4th being direct I think.

I guess Eaton offerd alternative ratios too?

hmm how can i tell which is which i have five eaton gearboxes...any external clues?

I wouldn't know - I didn't go to EaTON you know :D:D:D

Forgotton how to sex the Turner ones now too :readbook:

If the boxes are out, stick 'em in gear and turn the shaft!

At the rate Paul is going I'll never catch up! I'm getting the CMP tomorrow so I'm really excited at the moment.

I am nearly done...eastblock, nearly done, just one or two more to collect...

a star 266,

kraz

a scammel drops

a zil 135,

a spartan,

saladin,

a scorpion and maybe a chieftain,

then I am done, unless I get an mtlb at the right price and a gaz 66...

Edited by paulob1

I wouldn't know - I didn't go to EaTON you know :D:D:D

Forgotton how to sex the Turner ones now too :readbook:

If the boxes are out, stick 'em in gear and turn the shaft!

what a damn obvious thing to do...doh...it just didnt occur to me and i used to design gearboxes...dumb ass I am.

• 1 month later...