Loyd Carrier

Fetched the 7V chassis this morning, a clear drive and when we arrived at the farm a farmer from another farm turned up with a forklift to deliver a bale of hay for the cows, fortunate really, as he lifted the chassis for us and put it in the workshop which has just been cleaned up for me.

For a 70 year old Chassis it is in amazing condition, even has some paint in places!

If anyone needs the front axle and any of the springs / hangers let me know as they will only be taken to the scrap dealer in town.

ChassisArrivesTrailer.jpg

ChassisOnMove.jpg

Edited by ajmac

• 2 weeks later...

I had to take some of the Loyd parts which were US to the Scrapyard this lunch time, sad in some ways to see it melted down, but hey who has a use of a gearbox with chunks missing from the case and a Flathead V8 with holes through the block! Plus the money has paid for the paint to cover the rebuilt gearbox, managed to match it from a wartime sump which I borrowed and a few flecks which were found on the original gearbox. Thanks Martyn!

hi alastair

picked my 7v chassis up last thursday and had a good look at it in daylight on sunday at bob's yard and the news wasn't good, total pile of rust even by my standards (which are low) it was goosed but the mechanicals seemed to have faired a little better and are still useable although the rad the seller described as excellent turned out to be full of holes and needs recoring but hey it's only money, however the project is still on and i know the whereabouts of another chassis in scotland :cool2:.

it's good to see yours is coming along nicely, keep up the good work and keep posting the pics for those of us that like to look at the pictures first and read the text second.

all the best

eddy

ps don't chuck anymore bits away, i might need them :D

Sorry to hear about your 7V eddy. You are right about photos, however I haven't been taking the camera with me over the last week or so, having said that I haven't been doing any work either.... far too cold and far too much family stuff to be getting on with!

I've just searched through the photos on the network drive (it's all posh in this house:D ) and come up with a good shot, showing a uniquely Loyd part and one which shows the state of the range wreck.

This is the LHS Centre/rear body bracket, well half of it, I have all of them but each one has the top half missing, torn off at the weld line.

Talking of photos.... where are the ones from your friend north of the border? :-)

With the state of my range wrecks I'll be the one needing parts.....but I've got you in mind, I'm only throwing 'common' parts which are US

Body_bracket.jpg

Edited by ajmac

thanks alastair

i'll get some pics of the chassis posted up when i next go to bob grundy's yard which might be this week as the centaur is due to go up to join the charioteer although the dates aren't certain yet but if not this week then next week for sure, as for the scottish chassis pics i'll have to wait and see if colin's found them and if he's ok with me putting them on the forum.

all the best

eddy

Olive Drab.

Fired up the gravity fed gun to spray various steering brackets plus the hand brake odds and ends. The first of many small painting jobs. Note the part number stamped on the steering lever, most parts however small have a part number stamped on them.

SteeringBar_No.jpg

FirstOD.jpg

Edited by ajmac

Don't even take 10 years to do this project!!!! Two guys I know restored a Universal Carrier in a little over a year, and before you ask, no they aren't millionaires, just humble mechanics with their heads screwed on the right way.

Here's some photos of a friends Loyd Carrier for you to have a shufty at..

DSCF0169.jpg

DSCF0183.jpg

DSCF0167.jpg

Edited by The Bedford Boys

The trouble is space, it is at a premium currently and I don't want half finished assemblies dotted all over the place. All of the steering parts were primed ages ago when they came back from acid cleaning, it seems logical to give them the final coat, assemble them, refit the greasing fittings and then box them up for transport to, then long term storage at the workshop on the farm. One must also consider the psychological aspect, jenni was overjoyed that something looked finished and was going to be sent away from the house!

Thanks for the photos, just as you promised!

Edited by ajmac

If all goes well I should be getting a copy of the Candian Loyd Carrier 'File' of some 150 wartime documents in January. According to the archivist it contains all the wartime memos and performance reports etc. One particular report concerns the effect of the add on armour to vehicle performance.

• 2 weeks later...

The last little bit of 2010 Carrier work was undertaken tonight, I am taking the drivers floor plate and my drawing to the Fab shop in early January so I removed the remaining strengthening angles. Two front to back, and two linking the chassis rails. Interestingly, when I removed one of the brake cable covers I found a 1944 date, and as this isn't a consumable I can now push the manufacturing date into 1944.

Faint, but you can see it, if you double click and zoom in.

Date1944_BrakeCover.jpg

DSC_0663.jpg

Edited by ajmac

• 2 weeks later...

I've been removing the last remaining parts from the Loyd which is the basis for the project, last year when we removed the engine we flipped over the chassis to give access to the cross tubes and rear axle for removal. On Saturday I removed the engine guard, undertray and gearbox undertray, although all the bolts were cut on the rear axle it stubbonly refused to become free.

The rear cross tube is fractured in the middle so was removed in two parts, all parts were then taken to the new workshop on the Farm, first time they have been out of the weather for many many years I'd imagine.

It was interesting that the engine undertray has a gap between the guard rails, I double checked and it doesn't seem to appear in the parts book either. Thus it must be normal, and used to allow oil leaks to drain.:)

As I took my other camera I did a couple of videos and put them on Jenni's Youtube account, one shows the stripped down upside down Loyd and the other shows the second Carrier which will provide cross tubes and bogie parts.

Something went wrong...

Second 1944 Loyd, cut in half! Sorry about the sniffs, it was rather cold and I'd been out in it for three hours.

Something went wrong...

PS. Must remember to change the camera date to 2011, oops.

Guard_Removal_start.jpg

Guard_Removal_end.jpg

Edited by ajmac

• 2 weeks later...

We are well into 2011 now and the Loyd parts collecting has gathered pace, well that's a bit of a stretch, but the missing pieces are begining to mount up in the workshop. On Saturday I collected a freshly imported 24 stud USA Flathead, it's a 1946 - 48 unit with the 3 3/16th bores making it 3.9 Litres. The casting and machining were changed in 1946 to finally fix all the problems (little ones really) which had mounted up since 1939 when the 24 stud was introduced, to make it ready for the post war boom. Oiling changed a little bit, the big end diameter went up a fraction and the combustion chamber machining was different to improve gas flow, I think the CR went up a little aswell. Externally (casting numbers appart) there is no way of telling it from a wartime unit, so I'm ok with it. I'll need a pair of water pumps with the twin pullies and a twin 'V' crank pully.

Must thank Eddy for the tip off about the one in the photo.

Just after I'd brought it on Saturday I had a phone call from another guy who has a 24 stud in 'ripped out' condition, with carb, fuel pump, dynomo, dissy, HT leads, clutch, the lot.... and only 30 miles away so I may get that one too if it is cheap enough :-D

24Stud_Kent.jpg

Edited by ajmac