Loyd Carrier

Next time I will start with something that just needs taking apart and putting back together again, much less trouble, it will have wheels too, perhaps a Humber Scout Car.

found something :-D http://www.giulianokoren.com/italian-airborne/shooting-range-of-capo-teulada-sardinia-april-2011-rusty-scrap-from-destroyed-vehicles-used-as-target

Next time I will start with something that just needs taking apart and putting back together again, much less trouble, it will have wheels too, perhaps a Humber Scout Car.

Well you could be in luck, as you will know a mutual Friend is running a line of these ! ;)

Rob...................rnixartillery.

I think alastair has restorers remorse, a common complaint amongst many of us.

the early symptoms are normally aching joints and back leading to a sharp pain in the wallet area followed by prolonged periods of divorce :-D

luckily the cure is simple, sell everything and take up golf.

rick

Edited by eddy8men

Like I said, whatever I embark on in the future it most definitely will not be something that has been blown up and left to rot for 40 years! I have a friend who has just started a Loyd rebuild in Australia, he sent me the photos of it being dragged into his workshop....then a couple of months later some more photos arrived showing the entire machine parted, blasted, painted and going back together. Now that is the kind of project that would have been an ideal first start :-)

Rick,

Golf is not on the cards although I do fancy doing a Triumph Stag, ideally another TR6, but only two seats is an issue so a Stag suits better....Jenni has been exhibiting an unsettling like for MGBs :-(

Edited by ajmac

I do fancy doing a Triumph Stag, ideally another TR6, but only two seats is an issue so a Stag suits better....Jenni has been exhibiting an unsettling like for MGBs :-(

Nowt wrong with MGB's as long as you fit a noise pipe that everyone can hear from miles around, you could always go German or Italian Porshe or Lamborghini

• 1 month later...

Brief update.

The Loyd hull from Holland is now back in Lincoln along with the Belgian rear axle with drums and interestingly marked hub covers.

I've had to sit down with a whiskey following a friends phone call concerning an original Loyd gearbox that has been found down the road from me......and the reason for the sit down? Until a couple of years ago it was still in a Loyd Carrier.....but the box was removed and was the only part that wasn't cut up for scrap.

12178400985_fd66b34ae8.jpg

Edited by ajmac

I unpacked the Loyd body panels today just to see what I had been given, I was very happy with the result, see below:

12291203703_e5a67f427d_b.jpg

12291464384_47a23b0771_b.jpg

The rear axle was inspected and sadly it turned out to be an earlier version with a smaller diameter tube, I knew that there were a series of modifications to improve Loyds during the war. These included strengthening gussets for the chassis trailing arms known as the track adjuster arms and a larger diameter axle tube with extra brackets. My range wreck Loyd has all the mods and evidence suggests it was built in 1944. This latest rear axle to become part of the project has drums dated 1943 and the remains of gussets thus the wartime Loyd improvements must have been piecemeal.

Although it will be a lot of extra work I hope to rebuild the larger diameter axle and use the drums from this 1943 unit to complete it.

Below you can see the removal of one of of the drums. This axle had spent many years in the open and the back plates had corroded to the drums, as I have a spare pair of back plates from the range targets the corroded plates had to be sacrificed so as not to damage the drums. All Loyd brake parts are unique to the Loyd and as such are virtually impossible to locate!

12291197663_f16bf9c6e4_b.jpg

Lots of Plusgas.

12291595326_55042db526_b.jpg

Some nuts had corroded to virtually nothing, they had be to knocked off. You can just make out the 'LY' part number prefix which is a nice touch on such an obvious external part. The hub cover plates from the range wrecks didn't have the part number cast into them.

12291191893_6625cc338b_b.jpg

Time to undo the first hub nut.

12291189903_d25709f833_b.jpg

Using jacking bolts to draw out the seal / locking plate.

12291452314_26dfee4402_b.jpg

Removing the second hub nut. On the floor you can see the small rusty disc that fits into the centre of the stub axle to prevent grease loss / dirt ingress via the open end of the stub axle.

12291184263_5f3666fc24_b.jpg

Back plate cut through and then expander and actuator bolts and nuts removed so that the drum could be pulled off with the brake gear still inside it.

12291581396_21be36b048_b.jpg

Reasonable condition but actuator is scrap, too corroded to use. Luckily I have a couple of spares.

12291024535_d86ac30c21_b.jpg

Assembly pulled out of drum with ease.

Edited by ajmac

There is always something else missing P-O, however the project is getting close. Items that I don't have and don't have access to an original include the front upper hull Armour, 6pdr spare wheel mounts, hood sticks and a hood. The hood is going to be the hardest thing to locate as I have only seen one photo of a restored Loyd which had an original late war style hood. Does anyone have one I could borrow?

I collected the bogie pivot seals this afternoon, a local sheet metal company cut them out with there water jet profiling machine for free! They are not identical to the originals but will serve a purpose for the limited usage of the Loyd when it is complete.

12306304895_a17aaf44e0_c.jpg

Pivot end support below which is one of the original moulded rubber seals, the solid cut replacements are on the right. All the end supports that I have from the range wrecks and other sources are badly corroded on the seal face so will be cleaned up in the lathe, where I will also machine some new sealing groves.

To give some idea of the construction of a Carrier bogie (the seal is item 26) I have included a page from the 1944 Loyd parts book, see below:

12307208485_bc6aa78599_b.jpg

Edited by ajmac

There is always something else missing P-O, however the project is getting close. Items that I don't have and don't have access to an original include the front upper hull Armour, 6pdr spare wheel mounts, hood sticks and a hood. The hood is going to be the hardest thing to locate as I have only seen one photo of a restored Loyd which had an original late war style hood

it means that you have found the sides upper hull armour? Or you are missing all the front including the two bits on the front sides?

P-O

A local guy has one side of the upper front hull armour which I can use as a pattern, sadly all the rest of the armour was removed and scrapped after the war during its use as a farm vehicle. Obviously I would like to obtain an original set of armour but until that day I will have to make do with a remade set.

i forgot the elephant in the room....I don't have any usable track!

Those LP wheels came from two bogies that a friend gave me, I only needed some bogie parts and the wheels were not one of them so they will just go up a corner in the farm. They only came from Australia within the last two years, they were included in a load of scrap that was inside the hull of a British carrier that was reimported for restoration.

Those LP wheels came from two bogies that a friend gave me, I only needed some bogie parts and the wheels were not one of them so they will just go up a corner in the farm. They only came from Australia within the last two years, they were included in a load of scrap that was inside the hull of a British carrier that was reimported for restoration.

Cheers Alastair

I am new in carrier comunity. I have bought two carrier projects with spares. Now I am sorting what is there. Just found 4 wheals from german Maultier and anothers are there. First I have to identifi the another wheals.

There are small upper wheals but with rubber rim and on the carriers are full metal. Maybe are from loyd.

There are small upper wheals but with rubber rim and on the carriers are full metal. Maybe are from loyd.

Radek, I have seen your project photos on MLU, looks like a good solid machine.

Below you can see two of the different types of Carrier track return roller. The one on the left is from my Loyd range target and matches those seen in period photos of Loyds in Normandy. The right hand version is a NOS Canadian manufactured item used on Canadian built Universal Carriers.

12324746323_42ce8b811e_c.jpg

Today the other rear axle drum was removed, the shoes were in very good condition and can be used again. They were stamped 'New Hudson', any ideal who that was?

12324409214_c4c5022c37_b.jpg

12324187993_d84fcf4791_b.jpg

The track adjusters were removed, both had to be heated considerably before they gave up and slipped off. A small bolt is used which engages with the groove in the pin to prevent the adjuster slipping off in service. It's all quite a poor design to be honest, no seals, no lubrication method.

12323968115_7b96b17fd1_b.jpg

12324118093_09791727bc_b.jpg

One of the LP bogies was stripped down, removing the pivot pin was a tough job, lots of heating and use of the sledge hammer! You can see the pin along with the original rubber seals that I have had remade over the last week. The Bogie is now ready to go to the blasters.

12323107945_8f242cbbbb_b.jpg

12323543444_856f8a328c_b.jpg

12323256713_fa82ee330b_b.jpg

There are period photos of Loyds fitted with similar bogies and I have taken photos of a preserved Loyd with the same design. Eventually I will fit British fabricated units which it would have had originally, all the ones from the range wreck were damaged beyond use. In the poor quality photo below you can just make out the ribs on the British style Bogie casting on this 1941 Loyd.

12325594924_9a20631772.jpg

Edited by ajmac

New Hudson were M/Cycle and bicycle makers up to the early thirties but according to Wiki they bought the Girling brake patents in 1929 and started manufacture and supply of brake systems. They were bought out in 1943 by Joseph Lucas. I suppose it would be reasonable to assume they were the manufacturers of your part.

Edited by Degsy

I sorted through all the bogie parts that I have and came up with two usable spring unit cup linings, see below. Does anyone know where I could find some NOS or if it is possible to mould woven brake lining material. You can see in the photo that the woven nature can be seen inside the cup.

image.jpg

image.jpg