Loyd Carrier

Seeing as next weekend is Bonfire related (no Carrier work) I took the whole family to the farm to helpout stripping the rear axle and moving it inside for final strip and repair, my god it is heavy, I am glad I am not working on a Tank!

The rear axle had a drum on one side and on the other the drum was smashed, however the Hub bearing cover was still in place, this bearing came off reasonably easly thus releasing the hub, the bespoke Loyd Hub cover fell into three pieces when it came free. Does anyone have a spare I can have?

Now to the other side....shrapnel damage reared its ugly head again, the hub bearing cover has been ripped off and the hot metal that did this had followed on to dent the stub shaft just in front of the bearing retaining nuts. To remove the nuts I had to drill then fracture them, that still left the bearing race, that needed cutting through with the Oxy (quite extreme for bearing removal if you ask me!) then with a long crowbar I managed to remove the brake drum with hub. The back plate had severe damage and made the removal of the nuts impossible, they all had to be cut off in the end, thankfully the second Loyd has at least one mint rear axle stub shaft assembly to we should be OK.

Jenni tried some Oxy cutting and Izzie insisted that the 7V axle would be just right for her tricycle!

Start.jpg

30102011268.jpg

30102011270.jpg

30102011271.jpg

30102011272.jpg

30102011273.jpg

30102011274.jpg

RHS Rear axle stub.jpg

Edited by ajmac

alastair

i have all the bits you need as i am toying with the idea of a loyd myself as you know, having said that it will be many years before it ever gets started so if you really are struggling then you can have a dig thru my stuff and help yourself to whatever you need just remember to send me a xmas card :)

rick

Thanks very much guys.

Rick, thanks for the offer, as I said I'll try and make it over to yours before A&E. Can I take it that the you know what in you know where materialised?

.....never fear, you are already on the festive card list:-)

Update: Just had the gearbox UJ output adaptor shaft delivered back to me at work, pint of Beer IOU in place, thanks Jez.

If you remember originally it was bent and had damaged splines, about 1/2" was cut from the damaged end and it was cleaned up on the lathe.

01112011300.jpg

01112011299.jpg

GBox_adaptor.jpg

Edited by ajmac

• 2 weeks later...

I really need the back axle tube stripped down so that I can check it for true and then use it to position for the rear track adjuster trailing arms. Both sides have a large impact pinning the track adjuster upright axle stubshaft inside the axle tube. The only option that I could see was to cut out the dent and hope I could drift out the stubshaft, I did it, but that sledge hammer had a lot of use! As to how to repair the tube I am open to suggestions :(

Other side has a small dent so let's hope that comes out more easily.

Also took a photo of the Loyd Girling type brake back plates which came off the wreck.

15112011309.jpg

15112011310.jpg

15112011311.jpg

15112011312.jpg

15112011313.jpg

Edited by ajmac

• 3 weeks later...

Carden Lloyd Ammunition Carrier

Finally found a photo of The Cobbaton Loyd.Also been busy parts collecting, got a couple of NOS drive sprockets and a free rotating 24 stud Flathead V8 with ancillaries. Thanks Dusty! As you can see I still need the fan adaptor and fan from the truck application, see the WOT3 Tructor thread for some good photos of what it should look like. The difference being that my fan will have to have its blades bent to inverse the air flow.

6418411793_bd69cd7abb.jpg

Edited by ajmac

This little job was quite gratifying.

The Loyd has a section of channel to act as a holder for the rear axle track adjuster on each side, on early models this was bolted at one end to the chassis rail and that was it! When serious production began (it doesn't correspond to any model change) a gusset was added between the channel and the chassis with a locating plate welded onto the rear axle tube so that it all added up to a much more ridged rear axle / track adjuster setup.

You may remember that the rear axle had to be cut to within an inch of its life to remove the shrapnel damaged stub shafts, however it is straight and the welded pads are good enough to be used as datum’s. I bolted the axle brackets on and once the centre of the axle tube had been found it was possible to put it in place to line up the adjuster arms. Not much more could be done as both track adjuster arms are damaged. I heated up the RHS arm in small steps to knock out the dents, distortion and impact damage, I don't intend to weld up the holes torn while on the range as I don't believe it matters too much and it's part of the history, as long as it is dimensionally correct. As you can see I still have the LHS arm and the end of the RHS arm to attend to.

This is a photo of a Loyd which has now been restored in Holland, I have all the restoration photos (us Loyd guys have to stick together :-) ) you can see the setup that I will end up with, however this is an early 1942 machine without the gusset etc..

05122011328.jpg

05122011329.jpg

05122011330.jpg

05122011331.jpg

Mk1_Loyd_Rear.jpg

Edited by ajmac

Did the final disassembly of the front end of the second Loyd, I have saved the two front chassis rails as I need one brake cable anchor and possibly one of the front axle mounts. Axle doesn't look too bad, the farmer will be moving it to the workshop with the forklift over the next week or so. All Loyd specific parts will be removed and saved before the floor plate and chassis remains go to the scrapyard, the rails are so rotton in places that you can crush it with your hand!

27092011229.jpg

12122011342.jpg

12122011343.jpg

12122011344.jpg

12122011345.jpg

12122011346.jpg

12122011347.jpg

12122011348.jpg

12122011350.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

With 2011 coming to an end I had the final visit to the Loyd project.

It is sometimes difficult to know where to start when there is so much work to do, but I thought it best to complete the rear axle section and then turn the chassis to fit the front axle and thus line everthing up before attaching the front axle brackets, I only have one good bracket from the project loyd so I needed to dismantle the other vehicle to take the bracket from that.

I jigged up the RHS rear axle track adjuster arm and bolted it in including the gusset with original bolts which I have not removed, the LHS couldn't be completed as the gusset is too badly twisted so I will have to wait until the second Loyd is fully dismantled (work for better weather).

Axle brackets were removed from the wrecked front chassis rails along with the brake anchor points, after heating and attention with a hammer all bent parts were flattened out and installed at the front of the chassis. You will note that the back plates for the front axle brackets also act as a support for the drivers floor.

Still looking for brake parts, mainly a set of drums!

RemoveBracket.jpg

BracketOff.jpg

FrontChassisRails.jpg

Backplate_Straight.jpg

ChassisOnSide.jpg

LHS_Front_backplate.jpg

Gusset.jpg

RHS_front_backplate.jpg

BracketDesign.jpg

Thanks for the good wishes guys!

I have formed a group that anyone is welcome to join, I have rather imaginatively called it the 'Loyd Carrier Restoration Group', it's aim is to give a focus to the Loyd Carrier project that has been documented in this Blog since Mid 2010. I hope it will bring together as many current and former Loyd owners as possible and act as a repository for drawings, technical data, manufactures details, restoration help and data on the surviving loyds throughout Europe. In due course the group will attend TankFest and W&P or Tanks in Town with as many running Loyds as we can muster. A&E is a given :-D

So if you are interested, pm or mail me. Obviously owning a Loyd isn't a prerequisite, if it was we wouldn't have many people! Everyone will be invited to the farm and off road course when the Loyd is first under it's own power.

Hi Alastair,This is a long shot but could the brake drums you are looking for be the same as those fitted to a Canadian Chevrolet C60? if so I have a set which need a home!Best wishes for 2012!Matt.
Thanks, but sadly no, the Loyd drums were unique to the Loyd, designed by Vivian Loyds company. he prototype used 7V drums with sprockets bolted on top of them, but all the production vehicles dispensed with that idea.

Drum.jpg

Edited by ajmac

Thanks, but sadly no, the Loyd drums were unique to the Loyd, designed by Vivian Loyds company. he prototype used 7V drums with sprockets bolted on top of them, but all the production vehicles dispensed with that idea.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55159[/ATTACH]

The drums in your pic here, look identical to those on British made carriers. I have seen one with casting makers initials, WSW on a Brit carrier axle.

The drums in your pic here, look identical to those on British made carriers. I have seen one with casting makers initials, WSW on a Brit carrier axle.

Similar, but not the same, I think the offset for the sprocket is different 533B, who knows why!

Similar, but not the same, I think the offset for the sprocket is different 533B, who knows why!

Well, with the options of finding Lloyd drums more difficult than Universal Carrier ones, depending on which way the offset is, it could be only a matter of making a spacer ring, or machining the face of the drum. Thinking outside of the box !

Picked up the correct large size 5/8" drill this morning and fitted the two front axle brackets (14 holes that big was interesting!), both are direct from the wrecks and will need further stripping and cleaning but at the moment all drivers floor and front hardware is being installed and checked for fit before the chassis goes to the shot blasters. Fortunatly for me the blasters is just 1 mile out of the village and a friend has offered his plant trailer and a hand when we need to move the chassis. It's looking more like a Loyd now with those brackets installed!

On the trail of a couple of Loyd wrecks at the moment but both are proving ellusive to track down....

07012012364.jpg

Edited by ajmac

What abouts Loyds crawlers

http://www.antiquetractors.com/content/yph2604.htm

Lloyd Crawler

http://redhillmuseum.wordpress.com/lloyd-crawler/61-lloyd/

http://www.tractormagazine.co.uk/news/rare-loyd-available?showresults

http://www.booleroosteamandtraction.org.au/?p=115 is this one for sale

http://www.oldtractorman.com/loyd_dp.html another for sale...... just cannot find a wrecked one

yeah ok, I spent all night at the airport, then the flight was cancelled at 3 am so had time to surf :-D

Edited by fesm_ndt