Loyd Carrier

a mate of mine used to use an acid dippers in the midlands for stripping panels on fifties american cars he was restoring the nice thing was that apart from needing degreasing good panels were ready for paint and any corrosion was disolved leaving good metal for repairs

• 2 weeks later...

I took delivery of a copy of a November 44 'Illustrated Parts Calalogue' for the Loyd yesterday, thanks to Duxford. Great book, but YET AGAIN stocked full of cut and paste errors, I find it apalling that the we couldn't get it right in Wartime. There is a great diagram and parts list for the Universal Carrier gearbox final drive arrangement that isn't used on a Loyd!

Whatever I say there is still some unique and hard to find drawings and Loyd info.

I took delivery of a copy of a November 44 'Illustrated Parts Calalogue' for the Loyd yesterday, thanks to Duxford. Great book, but YET AGAIN stocked full of cut and paste errors, I find it apalling that the we couldn't get it right in Wartime.

I once changed a clutch in a Ford WOT2 and went by the 1945 manual to make sure I did it right. It wasn't until I came to lift the engine out that I discovered that they failed to mention I needed to remove a bracket in the cab as the engine hits it when being raised.

To make life easier I have been looking for a scrap Fordson 7V for odds and end that I still need and to help with the repair of the chassis. After some rather tenuous links I spoke to a camp site in Yorkshire but the 7V owner had since sold the site and moved on and the current owner knew nothing of him. I phoned the campsite over the road on the off chance and amazingly they remembered the guy and his old trucks. They were kind enough to phone me back later in the day when they had had chance to speak to the men in the villiage. It turned out that the owner had left his 7V chassis on the campsite when he sold up three years ago as he didn't want to move it. Just last year the current owners sent it to the scrappers! Bugg*r:embarrassed:

If anyone knows where I can get a 7V chassis from or indeed an entire 7V in a sorry state please let me know.

Engine out this weekend, weather permitting.

Edited by ajmac

If anyone knows where I can get a 7V chassis from or indeed an entire 7V in a sorry state please let me know.

Alistair,

Sorry to hear about your wild goose chase. I'm sure you will come across one sometime soon. I am sure I saw one for sale recently on this Belgian site: http://www.oldtimers-te-koop.be/Ford_oldtimer-vrachtwagens.aspx

Have you tried advertising in Classic Commercial magazine and such?

Hanno

there is a large private collection of mainly ford cars and commercials called the paradise collection owned by a chap named John Mould in I think Oxford area who I believe had a 7v project in storage,it may be worth an internet search for a contact number and trying there

Nigel

Eddy,

I could go down the fabrication route, in fact I had a quote from a local company, however it will be MUCH cheaper to take an original 7V chassis and use it to repair the Loyd one, more original too.

A Loyd really is a 'parts bit lash-up', good old British make do and improvise:-\

Edited by ajmac

ajmac

A Loyd really is a 'parts bit lash-up', good old British make do and improvise:-\

But a really cleaver design in many ways -if the British authorities had been sensible a Loyd built in armoured plate could have been a cheaper more suited to mass production design, replacing the U/C Windsor T16. In some ways a loyd with its plates extended upward mirrors the 1950-1960s battle taxis like 432 M113 M59 etc

Steve

Edited by steveo578

First of all a big thanks to Alan who brought up the two issues of Wheels & Tracks that feature Loyds to Lincoln this weekend, Izzie loved the chocolate too:-D

Just before all this rain started the farmer helped me lift out the engine and gearbox, we split them (the bellhousing was fractured all the way around!) and the Flathead is just inside the gate waiting to be stripped to see if anything is salvagable AND to try and ID the date and location of manufacture.

To date all the avenues to procure a 7V chassis have lead to nothing, but I know there is one waiting somewhere in the UK.

The Dogs like their new weeing post!

Dogs.jpg

Edited by ajmac

just had a quick search and the collection is in Reading not Oxford and although I did not find a contact for the collection you can contact John Mould haulage via email or phone as a start point

I know where the Paradise collection is, as I have been there (it's about 3 miles from my house). If you would like me to go with you, please contact me. The collection is not open to the public normally, so you will have to contact John Mould and make an appointment. Try Moulds Recycling in Reading as a start point for an enquiry - I suggest phoning them.

I have spoken to the guy who runs the Paradise collection for John, they have a 7V 'in the yard' according to him, however he never got back to me following a conversation with John Mould over the possibility of purchasing the vehicle, so I guess the answer was NO.

Thanks for that info... I appear to have found a suitable 7V chassis.... we will see.

Had a supprise when stripping down the V8, it has a 3 3/16th bore which means it is a Merc Flathead produced in either the USA or Canada. There are no other markings on the bell housing, so I am awaiting more info before I can ID it 100%. Whatever the outcome the engine appears to be a post war retrofit (it was rebuilt in 1963 according to the data plate). All Loyd parts books and manuals say the engines were 85BHP which means a 3 1/16th bore. Again whatever the reality I am going to rebuild it with a British Ford flathead engine, so it will become a No1 Mk2.

DSC_0344 (2).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Original 7V Chassis, back axle, brakes and Radiator sorted, pick-up in early December. Surface rust only, solid as a rock. 1939 or 1942 vintage according to the log book, owner couldn't remember which book went with which chassis! Should prove invaluable for chassis repair parts over the winter.

PS. Engine from the Loyd has '43' stamped on the crank, probably a coincidence.... or is it the original motor? No idea at all anymore.

Edited by ajmac

good for you alastair, i reckon your perseverence has won through again, it's great to see the mother of all restorations is coming along. it must be your strength of character combined with your chiselled features and magnetic personality that has carried you through, sorry forgot to mention generous nature aswell. by the way what are you doing with the other flathead rad :D

all the best

eddy

Before the Original Gearbox goes to the scrap I thought I would remove any useful parts and the vital parts to refurb the British Gearbox from Eddy. It seems conclusive that this Loyd was a No2 as the bearings are US manufacture, just like the Flathead V8.

OriginalGBox.jpg

US_Bearings.jpg