Mystery Objects No.1

fv1609

Well done Sir Paul, collect an OBE on the way out.

It is a Chobham Joint. The clues are Chobham was the location of FVRDE & I am told a "joint" is the way of smoking "the weed".

The Chobham Joint was fitted to Hornets & Mk 1 Pigs it was meant be stronger than the Tracta joints fitted to the the front axle & the rear of GS Humbers. The problem was that the heavy workload in NI caused the Chobhams to fail regularly as the retaining clip get failing. In memory of the hassle that was caused by this disasterous joint, 6 pairs of these cufflinks were made as a momento.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a tracta joint????????????

Neil

Sorry I sort of missed you when we went to the next page. Paul Yes FVRDE was in Chobham Lane, Chertsey.

The irony of the Chobham Joint was that it was meant to be stronger than the Tracta joints fitted to the original Humber chassis. But Chobhams were so unreliable at times that had to retro fit the "weaker" Tracta Joint or as one Army publication puts it, Tractor joints :roll:

Clive,

It is some sort of lamp or photo electric cell maybe?

Richard

Yes, one of them. I wasn't sure if you could read the NSC 6220

2THING03.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!
photo link repaired

Sorry, did you expect it to run and run ? What is the full function of this item then?

Richard

Yes, but we ain't finished yet.

"Something to do with the Hornet launcher?" is a bit vague, not a prize winning answer yet :|

Hmmmm :?

well, I think there were two of these on the launcher and with it in the fire position, one would be facing upward and the other downward :|

Richard

Not sure what you mean, but no. A fully operational vehicle would carry 8 of these.