Landrover Wolf...Why so expensive?

mkVsten

Why is there such a huge price difference between a Landrover Wolf and a regular MOD Landrover of the same body style, for example a Defender 110 vs one in Wolf trim. They have the cool look but that can't be the reason for the jump in price. Engine,suspension difference? Body changes look minimal.

Cheers

Why is there such a huge price difference between a Landrover Wolf and a regular MOD Landrover of the same body style, for example a Defender 110 vs one in Wolf trim. They have the cool look but that can't be the reason for the jump in price. Engine,suspension difference? Body changes look minimal.

Cheers

The Wolf is a totally different animal. Not only is it different cosmetically, it's also different mechanically, with rear disc brakes, different rear axle, 300 TDI engine (I think), gearbox, uprated suspension etc. This is a Land Rover on steroids. Also as there are hardly any in private hands the rarety also adds to the value.

A Wolf has the same basic shape as a standard Land Rover, but there are very few parts which are the same. It's is built on a completely different chassis, with a 300tdi engine, R380 gearbox. The axles are different, as are the springs and shock absorbers. The rear tub is very different and it has a special roll cage fitted, even the front wings are different. Electrics are all 24v, so different starter, alternator, wiring looms etc to a standard Land Rover.

They are expensive because there are relativley few in private hands, and they rarely come up for sale. The price seems to keep climbing as more people want them but no more are released. Those which you do see for sale are all accident damaged rebuilds. Having tried to rebuild mine to a good standard, the time and effort required, not to mention cost of the new parts soon adds up.... and that's providing you can find a rebuildable wreck which is cheap enough. The last few wrecked 90s through Withams were close to £10,000 and that's before you start with the new parts.

Chris

A Wolf has the same basic shape as a standard Land Rover, but there are very few parts which are the same. It's is built on a completely different chassis, with a 300tdi engine, R380 gearbox. The axles are different, as are the springs and shock absorbers. The rear tub is very different and it has a special roll cage fitted, even the front wings are different. Electrics are all 24v, so different starter, alternator, wiring looms etc to a standard Land Rover.

They are expensive because there are relativley few in private hands, and they rarely come up for sale. The price seems to keep climbing as more people want them but no more are released. Those which you do see for sale are all accident damaged rebuilds. Having tried to rebuild mine to a good standard, the time and effort required, not to mention cost of the new parts soon adds up.... and that's providing you can find a rebuildable wreck which is cheap enough. The last few wrecked 90s through Withams were close to £10,000 and that's before you start with the new parts.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Always wondered what the differences were. When I see them starting to be listed on Milweb with prices listed as "Offers in the region of £24,000" for a "genuine" example, I started to wonder. Even those Wolf copies can be quite expensive.

Amazing what supply and demand can do to prices...

Thanks Chris,

Always wondered what the differences were. When I see them starting to be listed on Milweb with prices listed as "Offers in the region of £24,000" for a "genuine" example, I started to wonder. Even those Wolf copies can be quite expensive.

Amazing what supply and demand can do to prices...

It's not hard to see where the money goes when you see what it looked like 'before'....

(I am sure this is the same vehicle, someone will tell me if not!)

Chris

lot39.jpg

It's not hard to see where the money goes when you see what it looked like 'before'....

(I am sure this is the same vehicle, someone will tell me if not!)

Chris

Thats a nasty hit. Expensive to repair yes, but the vehicle is only worth so much. What year would this Wolf be?

Thats a nasty hit. Expensive to repair yes, but the vehicle is only worth so much. What year would this Wolf be?

1998.... I think they were £40,000+ when new, so this would have been around 10 years old when scrapped off. Mine was built in 1997 and sold off in 2003, it was written off in Iraq.

Chris

Yep.... as an owner of a WMIK (having put it together myself from an existing wolf and a whole pile of bit), I can confirm there are many differences.

I am also now rebuilding a wolf, and can also confirm that once they are are deemed uneconimical to repair, they are in a VERY poor state.

Just remember that a wolf, or a WMIK is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. At the moment demand is high, and supply is low. The last privately owned wolf sold that I know of sold within two weeks of advertising and fetched £18000. So there are people out there who are more than willing to pay the cash.