K2 The worst attemted?

jerry

Have posted a few pictures of my K2 Y ambulance. First saw it after going in the search for spares and stupidly thought that something could be made of it!! Excuse the pictures, they are pictures of pictures as the scanner doesn't seem to be working. Curse these modern tools...

Jerry

002.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

Exactly!

So after going to visit, and thinking that a rescue plan could be hatched I arranged with the site owner to have it craned out and onto a trailer, not forgetting to cut the tree down first. Once on the trailor it was a case of cutting off vegitation that had become part of it and securing it firmly. However I hadn't barganed for mooving it a) by crane and b) by road and having what looked like a K2 ambulance by the time I got home. In fact I had to stop in the first layby and cut lots of bits off that would have fallen off anyway. When I got home I started to moove bits of the cab that had settled on the journey, this in fact turned out to be all of the cab!! Am I stupid because this is all that I was left with, very little reference points etc, idiot. What had I done....?

012.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

Anythings possible. The best things on your side are your time and doing things yourself and learning as you go. Personally I love the restoration process as much as any other aspect of the hobby. :-)

Are you sure we are looking at an Austin K2?:D

Terrific! I hope the chassis and mechanicals are in reasonable condition.

Please keep us updated on this project.

Alex

p.s. I am building a scale model of a K2Y at the moment and your pictures have already been helpful in giving me info on the structure of the body, which just can't be seen on restored vehicles!

Good Luck with the restoration mate - It will definitely be worth it in the long run and another British wartime truck brought back to life !

It is such a shame as I was once privileged enough to see 9 of these in a Scrap yard in Scamblesby in Lincolnshire but the best one was a complete and untouched one which had been covered over its' roof with old corrugated tin sheets and the sides were protected by two buildings either side which had protected the daubed canvas sides over the years and kept it complete - the other ambulances , which were all driven in convoy together into the yard after failing to sell at auction had been robbed of wheels and axles (prob for farm trailers) and were in varying states of decay after laying there for many years .

Unfortunately I have been led to believe this yard was cleared out by the owners son following his death and now no longer exists !!! :coffee:

...... well I didn't want a vehicle that was simply a case of fitting charged batteriesw in and off you go.

So where to start? Where do you start indeed, I had to ponder this for a long time as the scrapman was a temptation.

The rear body on the K2 ambulance is a universal fitment, that is it was designed to ft various other vehicles the Morris and bedford for example. This then mates up to variations of there cab via an extension piece. This piece forms the rear part of the cab and joins by a large transverse step. This therefore could be my datum point from which to build the cab from. As bits were still present from which to take measurements and two brackets were atached to the chassis I had a chance of replicating some of the structure. A starting point at least...

Jerry

001.jpg

Do you have a workshop manual? I have a 1943 copy some of which is specific to the ambulance, I can copy for you if it helps.

I have many Austin Mo. Co. manuals, but no one with detail specification for K2/Y.

For this renovation will be helpfull desmantling manual ar great workshop manual.

Please tell me the Publication no. of your manual.

To Jerry: When I will at home, I will send you list of my Austin publication. I will make for you any scans from this manuals.

Thanks for the help chaps...

Here are a few pictures of the same area (just in case I wasn't explaining things clearly) a) on a K2 and b) from the manual. This was about all I had to go on at this stage plus a few K2 fragments but unsure how they linked together!

Jerry

001.jpg

002.jpg

Good man, Jerry!

Are you mad - without question yes you are. But then so am I as this is a similar condition to my Chevy, and she's half way through the restoration now.

You've saved a rare old girl, thats the most important thing as far as Im concerned.

Good on ya, fella!

Here is list of my manuals for the K2/Y

Driver´s Handbook Ambulance K2

Maintenance Manual And Instruction Book Austin Lorry 3-ton 4x2 GS Model K3 Lorry 2-ton 4x2 GS Model K2A And Ambulance 4-Stretcher 4x2x Heavy Model K2

Driver´s Handbook for Lorry, 3ton 4x2 K3, Lorry 2ton K2A, Ambulance K2

Driver´s Handbook for Lorry, 3ton 4x2 K3, Ambulance K2

Price List Of Spare Parts Austin War Dept. Lorries And Ambulances

Master Spare list for 2ton W.D. Ambulance K2/Y

Servicing Schedule for Ambulance, 4 Tretcher 4x2 and 3ton 4x2 Cargo K2, K3

Edited by Radek

I gather from earlier postings and looking over the photographs these had both metal and wooden frames with sheet metal and canvas coverings. It would appear the canvas was attached rigid and not able to be rolled back. Interest to hear as to how the canvas was attached, tacked, or held in place by wooden or metal strips? I take it was a similar method to the construction of a rigid canvas roof on an early truck cab( 1920's).

With regards the photo of the new acquisition parked on the street. Did this bring out the neighbours in interest or in horror?

Doug

Have posted a few pictures of my K2 Y ambulance. First saw it after going in the search for spares and stupidly thought that something could be made of it!! Excuse the pictures, they are pictures of pictures as the scanner doesn't seem to be working. Curse these modern tools...

Jerry

Keep going kid,they are worth it,have attached some pics before and after, of the K2 I done, (took 6 years) to spur you on, if you get stuck in should be done for Beltring 2020, best of luck LOFTY, by the way, on ww2 talk , 23 years of my k2, loads of restoration pictures, might be of some help,

k2 restoration.jpg

K2Y.jpg

k2 restoration 003.jpg

Thanks for all the offers of help, will contact you all..

Back to the cab, I really needed to get some structure into place. The only substantial piece of sheet steel that I had was the piece that goes between the bonnet and vertical windscreen support member (made of wood forming a partial bulkhead) However the piece of steel (originally made in three sections and welded together) that I had needed repairing. This is how it looked before repairs.

Jerry

001.jpg

• 1 year later...