Saracen chassis number...where is it...

paulob1

1 hour ago, Starfire said:

Not true. The VRN was allocated at, or near, the time of manufacture, however, a number of Saracen Mk 6 (with VRNs in the FF range) were new-builds, intended for a foreign sale to the Middle East. For some reason, that deal fell through and they were diverted, still painted in desert tan, to NI and pressed into service there. These vehicles are (probably) the last Saracens built and have a number detail changes which mean that they are probably some of the best out there.

Cheers,

Terry

you are correct Terry,

Ive the list of VRN and manufacture order and approx date, from that list mine was the 3rd last to be built.

I was even made aware of the engine paperwork hidden in the engine bay.  Still there... in perfect condition.

Mine is a 1972 to 73 build and the service records are from 74 onward.

FF  vehicles are a 1972 to 73 build and mine is reverse flow cooling

leaning more about it each week

thanks guys

Its getting hydro blasted next week, back to bare metal then Ill prime and paint it ...

what colour scheme do you guys think i should go with

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on what period you want to portray. Yours, having served in NI and HK can be either Nato Green all over, or Nato green with black. For late Hong Kong service, it would have also had red tow points and lifting rings. I went with a HK scheme, as for most of its time in NI, mine was configured as an ambulance.

WP_20171031_17_00_27_Rich.jpg

I've been considering the green and black, i always like a bit of camo!  yours looks really good !

I looked up your APC rego number and it wasn't in the list, there was 82BA87 then 82BA90 which is strange, makes me think the list is not complete,  there was a 82BA90 that was listed as an Ambulance, says only 12 were made.

• 4 weeks later...

There may have only been 12 built as ambulances, but the conversion kit was a relatively easy modification to fit. I've got 2 in service photos and a short clip from the movie Threads which shows my Saracen. In all instances, it's been upgraded to Mk 5 already and is set up as an ambulance. I've not been able to find any photos of it before the upgrade or in Hong Kong.

Cheers,

Terry